News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Safer-at-home projects on my boat

Started by disposable, May 31, 2020, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christianbrat

Quote from: disposable on May 31, 2020, 09:20:54 PM
LED light strips for house lights. this is my THIRD set, but i've learned things: 3M adhesive backing always sucks so this time i used 4200, and the wire junctions are very prone to corrosion cuz their super cheap, so i wiped with a touch of dielectric grease and then over-wrapped all my junctions with electrical tape. hope this is my last set. (and of course, multicolored for maximum disco potential. normally i keep them on red for nighttime shuffling about, but i occasionally use the white for cleaning up squid mess or after lobster hooping. the blue's just for showing off at the docks and the green is just for my son who loves to mess with the remote control)

This is super cool!! I have blue LEDs, but which did you use to get all the colors?
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

disposable

the technology seems pretty common, so you just gotta find your preferred version. i went with long strips so i could reach the sponsons and cuddy, and waterproof tape for obvious reasons (it's only IP65, but that lasts a long time if it's not flexing). the adhesives are all pretty weak, so i added 4200. i think it was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZFM4BT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

this project has been hanging over my head for a long time. i was nervous about adjusting the wipers, so i dragged my feet until i could build a mockup "windshield" out of plywood, and wired a spare battery to test the dynamics... then i drilled my house (another six holes! ugh!), and realized the wiper motor driveshafts were too short... so after a few more weeks of waiting for the shipment... i finally got to mount and wire my motors (ground, park, and slow; capped off the fast wire) with the pantographic bases on the exterior. had to modify the arms cuz they were a bit too long... and had to shop around for appropriate wiper blades to match the archaic swing arm ends... and then a TON of little adjustments to get the swing right, but now, i have two self-parking wipers.

some of the "big" jobs i scrutinize and research and talk to death, until they're trivial, but it's always the "easy" ones that sneak up on me.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

and voila!
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

Good job !  Looks professional.   bowdown.gif
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

JDB

Not me doing it because the boat lived with my Pop.  Replacing fuel lines, deck fittings, fuel filter assembly, reroute fuel lines, remove-clean-reposition main and saddle tanks. 
Generally updating all the bits necessary for optimum reliability and piece of mind.

Starting some research on rewire (starting battery in the back, house battery up front)- but that is in the infancy stage of research.
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

Kimbrey

Nice work especially that radar mount. 
I couldn't tell how your antennas were resting on the rocket launcher. On my old boat I found a small bow stop something like this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--bow-stops-rubber--P006694772?recordNum=67 that the antenna would rest on when put down.  My thought it would better on the antenna versus whacking away on metal as you're driving down the road.  I'm assuming a fair amount of wind vibration when driving.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

disposable

Quote from: Kimbrey on November 15, 2020, 03:50:46 PM
My thought it would better on the antenna versus whacking away on metal as you're driving down the road.  I'm assuming a fair amount of wind vibration when driving.

that's interesting. i made a few wraps on the antennas with white electrical tape, and i always cam the antenna brackets pretty tight before driving, so i haven't noticed any damage yet... but i'll have to keep an eye on that, they're surprisingly expensive and would probably be a hassle to replace, too. i like that rubber stop idea...
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

I made a little snap-in antenna holder out of Starboard. It works very well to hold the antenna in place. The opening is slightly smaller than the antenna and the hole is slightly bigger. The Starboard is just flexible enough so it "snaps" in and out.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

another^ classy project. bro, you get more life out of a sheet of starboard than anybody else ever. love it
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Ssericz

For antenna holder I got a small rubber rod holder similar to CS design but an off the shelf option and at $2 worth it

Ssericz

Went thru a lot to get this photo for you  :wink:

ohmytodd

I took this one step further - I took the small rubber rod holder and screwed it to a slightly larger one that fits around my rails so that I didn't have to drill any holes. I've got one on my bow rail since I stow my antenna forward for travel. The second holder int he larger pack is where I rest my window when open.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

disposable

Quote from: Ssericz on November 17, 2020, 02:35:26 PM
Went thru a lot to get this photo for you  :wink:

you know i appreciate every minute. but looks slick
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

Quote from: ohmytodd on November 17, 2020, 03:34:02 PM
I took this one step further...

so, to be honest, you guys are stressing me out. my antenna just chills on the rack, and never seemed to move at all. i do cam the bracket down after laying it down, and it's loosely framed by two rod holders, and i do have some electrical tape on there to pad the antenna... but now i'm gonna toss and turn about this antenna clip thing!

just when you think you're out (of boat projects), they pull you back in!
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Wiley

Never, Never, Never ! Lol. :bigshock:
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on November 17, 2020, 07:27:42 PM

Never, Never, Never ! Lol. :bigshock:

:stooges: :yeahthat:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

Lots of projects !
Your boats turned out really nice .
Wish I had the drive to / spare time to do all those things to my chaser .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

disposable

soooo... looks like there will be a lot more safer-at-home time this winter... so i think i'm ready to open another can of whoops on my boat:

1- belly tank install, which lets me...
2- revamp my bilge (dual bilge pumps, TH water intake, drain, ?squid light? ?TH ducer next year?), and...
3- redo the electrical backbone (which will allow another round of improvements down the road, including my rebuilt windlass and my trim tabs, but for now...)... is all required to...
4- install a 45 bait tank!

i still have a month or two of tinkering and planning, but i'm hoping to come back with some exciting updates before presidents day...
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

OH! and i checked the antenna status... i think i'm ok with this for now:
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

Maybe some cork tape and rod-butt shrink wrap ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 26, 2020, 12:19:15 PM

stop it! i'm looking ahead to bigger and better projects. they're clamped down at the mount, so they don't move a mm.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

Quote from: disposable on November 26, 2020, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: croaker stroker on November 26, 2020, 12:19:15 PM

stop it! i'm looking ahead to bigger and better projects. they're clamped down at the mount, so they don't move a mm.

I can't help myself !   :jester:

Nice bait tank. Where did you find that ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

Dude, I hear you. Every boat I see is a bunch of projects waiting to happen...

I found it on BD, I think it came off some big boat where it was mounted for a bow tank. It's an older OffShore, I wouldn't know asses from elbows but eric tells me older ones were more overbuilt, and as far as I can tell, it should clean up nicely. Seeing it on my driveway I was afraid it would crowd my deck but honesty it looks perfectly sized for this boat. I think I'm gonna plug a couple holes were the previous owner ran hoses through (!) then sand and gel coat in white... or I might just it leave it how it is, I already have plenty of mismatched gel coat by now...
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

Eric knows his tanks. $1000 tank right there. New or used... they are fiberglass.  Like older Arima hulls....same as new.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸