News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

EZ Drum Winch Install

Started by croaker stroker, November 11, 2020, 10:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

Wow! That drum winch is huge. Do you need that big f one for that tiny anchor?   :rimshot:
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Quote from: Danno on November 21, 2020, 07:31:49 PM
Wow! That drum winch is huge. Do you need that big f one for that tiny anchor?   :rimshot:
No. But it was more expensive, so I saved more with the "PONTOON" discount code on the EZanchorpuller website.

It's the camera angle.  :jester:  Now I need a new iPhone  :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

The heft of the winch will come in handy when trying to lift a stuck, or we'll set anchor.

I'm still curious how the line will lay on the spool and not bunch up in one spot :shrug9:

Maybe you can thumb the rode like a non-level wind reel. :wink:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

naniamo

Wow,nice job on that.Anyone else notice the patch on the nav light hole the glass looks like there was never a hole there!
Arima 22 SL  Twin 100 Hondas V-tec , Pacific trailer

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 21, 2020, 08:36:40 PM

I'm still curious how the line will lay on the spool and not bunch up in one spot :shrug9:

I'm curious too. I am sort of expecting it to not wind level. I am hoping that it packs down enough to allow room. There's going to be a bit of a learning curve.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Quote from: naniamo on November 21, 2020, 08:55:36 PM
Wow,nice job on that.Anyone else notice the patch on the nav light hole the glass looks like there was never a hole there!

Thanks naniamo. You are very observant. I have had a lot of practice making holes... then patching them.  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

If necessary maybe you could back very slowly while turning to one direction or the other to get the rode angle to go on evenly, once the anchor becomes free.  :shrug9: Just thinking out loud.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Here's why you have to wind it on tight. I am going to take it out to deep water and drop anchor almost all the way, then rewind it. With the weight of the anchor and chain, it should wind on tight. (I hope)

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/773745-drum-anchor-winch-my-rope-dug-into-spool-my-anchor-stuck.html

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

That is awesome looking CS and it fits in perfectly with your boat, like it's been missing since the day your boat was made.
Good to see you took some beer breaks, those are important when working on a boat  :jester:  :beerchug:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Thanks AJ.  :beerchug:

Hope it works ??  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

Mark if you really want it on tight just go down to cherry beach next time you launch. Anchor in 20ish feet of water back out till it's all off the spool down to the final layer then leave the boat in idle reverse and winch it on. It will be tighter than you could imagine. I had too much line to do that so we did it by hand, burned up a couple sets of leather gloves but it's on tight tight

croaker stroker

Good idea. I was going to go out and "deep drop". That's how they said to do it. Your way sounds easier.  (Unless some idiot speeds by and fouls my stretched out anchor line)

Haha...Nacho always tells me the halibut are biting off Cherry Beach.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

I wired the new nav lights today. I decided to put them on the bulkheads.  I was going to put them on the outside of the gunwales, but figured they would get bumped.

I also mounted the bow cleat next to the winch JIC I need to handline the anchor...and I wanted someplace to tie off a safety lanyard for the anchor.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

The discount code is no longer available. (expired)  I just got in under the wire.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

If any of you guys want an ez contact them directly and I'm sure they will honor the discount
They are extremely easy to deal with

croaker stroker

Took the boat out to go to Cherry Beach, but the access to the ocean was closed through the Ammo depot due to Militaty Ops.

So I stretched it out inside Huntington Harbor where you are NOT supposed to anchor.

I wound it back on , tight with the boat in reverse, and the chain and rope still did not fit.

I had to remove another 20 or so feet of rope... I think I only have about 250' of Dyneema, nylon, and chain. Not as much as I anticipated, but plenty for my needs.

Took a couple pics of a millionare's boat and a stranded Duffy.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

Thanks for grabbing a pic of my new boat while I was waiting to get fuel
:party017:

croaker stroker

I didn't know you owned a Duffy ?   :jester: :beerchug:  BTW...they don't use fuel do they ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

Haha that Duffy was there for a bit.

The new yacht is nice right? 😂

croaker stroker

Yes. Looks too big for Huntington Harbor.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

@EZAnchorPuller

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 12, 2020, 01:49:41 PM
I am studying things before I receive my winch.

I am not understanding the purpose of this plastic roller included with the winch ?

Looks like it is unnecessary unless you mount the winch out of sight. It doesn't even touch the rode or anchor in this video...

https://youtu.be/znAz4JesOrQ

Hey CS and arima thread!

For anyone who's still curious, there's only two installations where you need to use this roller: first, we provide it for installations where the winch is installed in the rope locker, but their rope goes up and over to the bow. So in this instance, that roller would need to be installed where the rope drops into the rope locker so there's no scraping at the opening of the rope locker and the rope can toggle back and forth.

Another reason to use this is if you want to spool the rope under and over the drum's shaft, rather than over the spool. In this scenario, you will need to install this flat roller on the deck so the rope and chain does not scrape the bow! We supply one just in case, but it's obviously not necessary!

I hope this answers anyone's question who may purchase and install in the future -

Candace, Social Media
Candace, Social Media & Marketing
E-Z Anchor Puller Mfg. Co.
Follow us on Hull Truth, Insta, FB, LI & Twitter

@EZAnchorPuller

Quote from: martin3 on November 13, 2020, 09:37:02 PM
Wait and see......we might not need it.

Our direct drives on average will deploy and retrieve the anchor and rode configuration at 100' per minute. The EZ-EFF will double the voltage and make your direct drive unit drop at twice the speed it initially would, so in my opinion this is a perfect "in-between" option for those who need more speed, but aren't necessarily in deep enough waters or the right conditions for our Rebel units (the true free-fall series). The EZ-EFF is an additional accessory that is relatively new on our products list :)

See it here

@EZAnchorPuller

Quote from: Hydroman on November 20, 2020, 08:48:30 PM
Quote from: Hydroman on November 20, 2020, 08:34:59 PM
I am seriously considering installing the  EZ Drum winch on my TJ to replace the Power Winch windless that has never been reliable,

One question that comes to mine is there any means to manually deploy the anchor should you you have loss of 12v power.

Jim

Sorry to bother everybody, I found the answer on their web site

Yes, is can be released by removing a pin for manual release.  Looks like I will need the Patriot model

Jim

Jim - you are correct: on page 6 of our updated manual it explains this procedure for Patriots and Heroes in this instance where you lose all power to your boat. You will have to remove the end cap of the gearbox and then unscrewing the large bolt in the center. By unscrewing this bolt, it backs out the bushing and pulls the drive key until it's released. From there, deploy or retrieve by hand, holding either side of the drum. If this happens, it's simply a bad day out on the water :( but at least you can still anchor and be safe...knock on wood!

@EZAnchorPuller

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 20, 2020, 10:08:10 PM
Candice in Customer Service is very nice and she answered a question I had about dropping the anchor. I emailed her with the question and instead of emailing me back, she personally called me the next day. I was impressed by the response. She may follow this thread.

For aluminum boats, they caution to insulate the 316 stainless from the aluminum.

Thnak you so much, CS! But I'm typically the one on social media and forums. You probably talked to Sara, our office manager/tech help or Christy, our VP and tech support- I may know a lot, but they know WAAY more ;) You'll usually only hear from me behind the screens when I'm nagging people for tags, answering questions or when you see a magazine article :)

-Candace, Social Media

@EZAnchorPuller

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 21, 2020, 02:52:24 PM
Thanks Fisher.

One last pic. I am a little nervous about driving down the freeway with the anchor just dangling there. I think I will make a safety lanyard. 🤔

I am also concerned that the rope and chain will pile up in the middle. They say the rope will compact down the first time you use it. Hope I don't have too much on it ?

From your pictures, CS it looks like your rode and chain configuration will work perfectly! We always recommend leaving at least an inch of free-board.

As for your concern, you've got it right! Safety lanyard is the way to go.

-Candace