News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Prices for 60-70hp 4 strokes new

Started by polarbill1999, October 23, 2020, 01:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarbill1999

Can anybody that has repowered to one of the following motors in the last couple of years provide a ballpark as to what the total cost including controls and rigging was?  Not looking for price including tax. 

Yamaha f70
Honda bfp60
Merc 60 command thrust
Zuke df60av

I have heard sportcraft mentioned a lot for Suzukis.  Are they actually cheaper there plus the tax savings?
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

85seahunter

My 2020 BF60 was $8800 with troll control, controls, and the fancy display. I believe the BFP model was $600 more.
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

ohmytodd

Call/email Sportcraft, they'll give you a no BS price out the door for Honda and/or Suzuki.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

AJFishin

I paid for my 2019 Suzuki DF60AV with analog gauge, rigging, side controls, and install, $8600 (Before tax)
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

lloyds

My BF 60 complete and installed was just over 8000 at Sportcraft
1997 sea explorer

BayWolf

Just curious, if I bring down a boat from Washington and have a new motor installed in Oregon, do I pay tax?

What's the consensus on the "Best" motor for a 16 Chaser?
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Danno

Quote from: BayWolf on October 23, 2020, 08:41:27 PM
Just curious, if I bring down a boat from Washington and have a new motor installed in Oregon, do I pay tax?

No and yes. No, if you don't tell anyone. Yes if you do. WA State Police used to watch for trucks with new dryers in the truck bed. I don't know if they've backed off that but how are they going to notice a shiny new motor on your Arima?
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

polarbill1999

From the stuff I have seen the Yamaha f70 might be the best although at 270# and with a 9.9 kicker might be a bit ass heavy unless batteries are moved forward.  Behind that it seems like mercury, Honda and Suzuki 60s are all neck and neck.  Seems like pick the dealer/brand you get the best deal on and you are comfortable with their service.

The question I am not sure of is if you get the higher gear rotio version of each (Honda bfp60, Suzuki df60av,merc 60 CT).  If you run heavy or in the ocean maybe the higher gear ratio is a better choice but if lighter, freshwater, etc... Maybe the standard is better.  I have no idea really though:)
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Fisherdv

I have the Honda BFP60 (Powerthrust) on my 16SC. IMO, the Powerthrust is the way to go if you run in rough water, or ocean swells where you really need the thrust of a larger gear case and larger prop. IIRC, the BFP60 uses the same size props as the 90HP motors. You may lose a little top end speed due to the extra drag from the larger gear case. Depends on what is more important to you I guess.
Quote from: polarbill1999 on October 23, 2020, 09:08:06 PM
From the stuff I have seen the Yamaha f70 might be the best although at 270# and with a 9.9 kicker might be a bit ass heavy unless batteries are moved forward.  Behind that it seems like mercury, Honda and Suzuki 60s are all neck and neck.  Seems like pick the dealer/brand you get the best deal on and you are comfortable with their service.

The question I am not sure of is if you get the higher gear rotio version of each (Honda bfp60, Suzuki df60av,merc 60 CT).  If you run heavy or in the ocean maybe the higher gear ratio is a better choice but if lighter, freshwater, etc... Maybe the standard is better.  I have no idea really though:)
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

I should also mention that the BFP60 has a higher charge output.

AJFishin

The DF60AV you lose top speed, but the torque is the pay off, especially if you're primarily boating in the ocean and your boat is heavy. The AV was designed more for moving pontoon boats, but works great for moving the ass heavy Arima.

My old 2 stroke Yamaha had some good torque, but nothing like my Suzuki and I only lost about 3 MPH.

Suzuki has a pretty cool diagram showing the difference between the 2 lower units.

BayWolf

Quote from: AJFishin on October 23, 2020, 09:35:15 PM
The DF60AV you lose top speed, but the torque is the pay off, especially if you're primarily boating in the ocean and your boat is heavy. The AV was designed more for moving pontoon boats, but works great for moving the ass heavy Arima.

My old 2 stroke Yamaha had some good torque, but nothing like my Suzuki and I only lost about 3 MPH.

Suzuki has a pretty cool diagram showing the difference between the 2 lower units.

Is there any appreciable disadvantage of going with a AV over the standard.  I would be using the boat in Puget sound and on lakes almost exclusively.  Very rarely at Sekui if at all.  Most always either by myself or with my wife, Shinna who weights 125 soaking wet.

First Sergeant

BayWolf

Sorry Brett, didn't mean to highjack your thread...

First Sergeant

polarbill1999

No worries at all.  I think the discussion is good and it will likely help someone else down the road.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

AJFishin

Quote from: BayWolf on October 23, 2020, 09:49:48 PM
Is there any appreciable disadvantage of going with a AV over the standard.  I would be using the boat in Puget sound and on lakes almost exclusively.  Very rarely at Sekui if at all.  Most always either by myself or with my wife, Shinna who weights 125 soaking wet.

I think Fisher said it right on, as the same can be said about the Suzuki AV.

Quote from: Fisherdv on October 23, 2020, 09:19:47 PM
I have the Honda BFP60 (Powerthrust) on my 16SC. IMO, the Powerthrust is the way to go if you run in rough water, or ocean swells where you really need the thrust of a larger gear case and larger prop. IIRC, the BFP60 uses the same size props as the 90HP motors. You may lose a little top end speed due to the extra drag from the larger gear case. Depends on what is more important to you I guess.

polarbill1999

For those that have newer 60hp or 70hp Yamaha motors, what is your top speed?  I think I saw yachter say 30 out of a bf60.  Is high 20s-30 expected with the standard gear case honda/suzuki/merc 60?  Does the bigger gear case drop by 5 mph?  I think I saw someone with a df60av say they could only get 25 but have a ton of low end power.

We are just trying to decide if it is worth repowering our 16.  We have 70hp evinrude vro with about 1500 hours on it.  We top out at about 20 knots (23 mph). We do have bottom paint and smart tabs which don't help.  We have to cruise at about 16 knots otherwise we get horrible mpg.  Like 2mpg bad.  If we could repower and top out at 25-27 and cruise at 20-22mph while still getting 4 or 5mpg it may be worth it to us to repower. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

85seahunter

30 mph with my BF60. 11.1X14 3 blade aluminum.
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

polarbill1999

Quote from: 85seahunter on November 03, 2020, 11:40:07 AM
30 mph with my BF60. 11.1X14 3 blade aluminum.
That is on a 15 sea hunter?  Do you have bottom paint?  Fresh or saltwater?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Fisherdv

27-30mph. BFP60 16SC, no bottom paint.

Yachter Yat

IMO, the best motor for a 'lightly loaded' 16 Chaser is the Honda BF60.  My highly waxed, lightly loaded jewel hits the mid 30's with Honda's 11.1x14 3 blade aluminum.  I believe the greater prop speed,  (BF's 2.07 lower end, over BFP's 2.33 gearing) is primarily responsible for these fairly impressive numbers.  I see a tad over 6100 RPM's at times.  Keep in mind; these boats, equipped with this level of marginal HP, are weight sensitive.  The numbers I gave you are with only the wife and myself on board.....maybe 270 lbs. combined human weight.   That said, substitute three 275 lb. "porky anglers", :facepalm: along with an excessive amount of additional gear,  and the performance results could prove to be considerably different.  In which case, you might give at least some consideration to "down shifting".   You see what I'm saying......right?   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Ocean running.
DF60AV   27mph @ 5,600 rpm with a "de-tuned" 4 blade prop @ 13.25 x 12

Short little video of mine is action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjmk8lVtMI&list=PL88OtjLGzLAa6O1tZrXJ811b6fmO8AHVO

Chief of the Boat

Here is the cruise speed on my old fully loaded with fuel, water and bottom paint 94 SE with a Yamaha F70 with a 3 blade stainless PowerTech prop in saltwater.  WOT was a tad over 30 mph @ 6300 rpm.

polarbill1999

Thanks all.  This is helpful.

Chief, that is impressive.  Would love to cruise at 25mph at 5.5 mpg. That would be a huge improvement over current.

Yacht, mid 30s?  That is crazy. We would never get that. I am a big guy, we have bottom paint and smart tabs.  That said it is still amazing and makes me wonder if the bfp really is necessary.  That said. For our usage and config I think the high gear ratio is the better option.  Thanks

Fisherdv, that sounds really great as well.  Does your boat have bottom paint?

AJ, appreciate it.  I am slightly nervous about the Suzuki just because we would like top speed to be closer to 30 and cruise closer to 25.  If top is 27 I would think cruise is closer to 22 which isn't much better than our boat currently.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Chief of the Boat

The Yamaha F70 and the Mercury are 4 cylinder the Honda and Suzuki 60's are 3 cylinder engines.  IMO the Yamaha F70 is the "Cat's Pajamas" on the 1511 hull.

Yachter Yat

Judging by what I'm seeing, I suspect some of you may be carrying a fair amount of gear??

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)