News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

97 sea chaser 17w/ 97 75 honda

Started by Arimawannabee, October 18, 2020, 06:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arimawannabee

Dear owners group ,
I will try to make this as brief as possible ,I had found a local sc17 on east coast I have never had a real fishing boat mostly due to funds .I am slated to take on test run on small lake after it had carbs and steering repaired .It is a one owner boat that has 3-6 hundred hours according to owner.Boat gelcoat is chaulky and has some chips here and there ,Calkin trailer which needs all new rollers , bunks and tires/wheel bearings.
I think with some elbow grease it will shine up fine I really just love this boat as a fisherman .But as hard as I scour he internet I can't find any info on a 23 yr old 75 honda How long they will last or dependabillity and parts support .What would be be a resonable offer on this if test ride goes well I really love boat but repower ishuge expense .Any Imput would be appreciated .
Thank you

disposable

Hey man, congrats. Lots of friends have been through the buying process and I know how nerve wracking it is. Those motors last a long long time in capable hands, and a jackass could easily ruin a new one. Like a car, some old ones are better than new, but unlike a car, the improvements since 97 have been fairly limited. You can get most parts very easily, unless that's a weird unicorn year. I had a 1972 seahorse 20hp on an old aluminum boat, unknown hours, but previous owner was a mechanical engineer and that old motor made a sound that was outright erotic. Age is just a number, 97 could be good if it's otherwise good. Most capable mechanics could look it over for a few hundred bucks, I'd call that a wise investment before buying the package; maybe the seller will split that cost with you if you offer them the report. I'd probably focus more on the electrical system, Hull, and trailer, as these will hide their secrets better than the motor would...
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Danno

Quote from: disposable on October 18, 2020, 08:19:29 AM
...the improvements since 97 have been fairly limited.

Fuel injection on Honda's was quite a big improvement. I don't think the 97 has it. My 98 Honda didn't have it.

But as Disposable noted, the Honda 75 could be a gem if it was well maintained. A bit underpowered for a 17 SC but not by much.

It's hard to give an estimate without a lot more information but I suspect you're looking at a sub $9k boat.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Arimawannabee

Thanx for the encouragement . I am currently running out of a 14' starcraft that I put an electrical system in for graph downriggers and charging battery with 15 hp ! Its not hard for me to get over anxious when I see a real fishing boat, always converting pleasure boat into fishing boat to get on water .It worked for getting my son on the water young , now 17 and diehard fisherman so It was worth the work .Thank you all for the first hand info and I hope to be posting as arima owner in the next few weeks and I can get to work for spring trout and salmon fishing in Ny.Weird the way things work sometimes ,this boat kind of found me . Hope to post pics in near future .I can always hunt for more hp afterwards , the right boat is hard to find on a small budget. Thanx again all

amazing grace

If I were you I would plan that the Honda will either need work or need replacing. That is how I would approach it. Now, if it turns out to be a viable engine going forward than great. But I would not count on it. 

If you purchase for say, $9k and the Honda needs replacing. The 75hp might not have any value and you will be looking at $10-12k to replace if going new.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Arimawannabee

I am water testing boat Thursday, owner just had motor gone through by a local marine repair shop.I will have reciept to verify exactly what was done .Water pump carbs ,lower unit gear case oil ,plugs ect is what I was told along with steering .I agree with you 100 percent on motor gamble ,If I could get a some times out of it and  save for 90 hp repower it would be a wonderful thing , if it goes bad I will have one friend who will say told you so and a pissed off wife .I appreciate all of you honesty ,I have always lost money on boats its just part of the deal but the times I have had on the water out weigh the money end .Thank you all for replies and will post back with news .Thanx 

Arimawannabee

My water test was interesting ,to recap  boat sat 3-4 yrs outdoors owner had new water pump ,spark plugs , lower unit gear oil , new battery and steering fixed but was not right .Main fuel tank needs to but flushed and cleaned boat was running on portable tank .This work was done at small inland marine/auto /boat wrapiping type of place not affilliated with any boat or outboard manufacturer .Honda 75 had carb kits done and mechanic said one carb needed replacing due to not flowing properly .These carbs are no longer available new .The motor  idled well , ran a little stumbly a little above idled but cleared up after that all the way to full wot and ran 28 mph or so tach and trim gauge were not operating .Outboard sounded nice and crisp at wot and I would like to run a tank of fuel through it with sea foam in it to see if it doesn't clear up on its own .The caulkins trailer it sits on needs rollers and the bunks broke off the 4 knuckle type pivots upon launching and caulkins is out of business.There was not enough of the pivots left to even fab new ones , is anyone familar with these bunk pivots ? The trailer type had 2 cross members that pivot on one bolt at each side .I will replace steering with baystar,but not sure what to do about trailer .I took some pics of trailer on cell phone but not sure how to post .I anybody has a fix or source for caulkins parts it would be greatly appreceiated.

amazing grace

Hmmmm, did you buy it? If so at what price?
How was the hull and interior.
I would buy another trailer. Should be able to find a good one for $1k or less for that boat.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Arimawannabee

I should have this week for 4,800 ,In will post pics when I have it home .Boat interior is ok not canibalized , hoping hull will polish up . Bow (on ridge)above winch eye chipped up due to neglect of front bow bumper. I have  a marine outboard and trailer dealer I will speak to tomorrow , I did factor money in for new/ used trailer . Thank you for your input.It needs tlc but it will be my first real fishing boat.I am excited to start on it .

amazing grace

Great, congratulations. Sounds like you did real good. If you can get the motor right  for a reasonable dollar amount. Get a good trailer and use some elbow grease. Kids or a fishing buddy make it real easy. You should be golden. Look forward to hearing more about it over time. I am real happy for  you.  :food:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Arimawannabee

Thank you
I will post pics as soon as I can .

familyrig

Arimawannabee,

When the mechanic said carbs are no longer available he might be mistaken or mislead.  I dealt with the same issue with my Honda 90.  They sold the carbs & intake manifold as a complete set.  It was pretty much plug & play for me.   

Hopefully Seafoam will take care of it.   Good luck with the new boat!

David
1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

Arimawannabee

Thank you , I checked with honda dealer and unfortunately that intake / carb units are no longer available . Carbs are not even available 75-90 hp used the same carbs , But Im hoping sea foam does the trick too .I am picking boat up Thursday and exited to get going on such an awesome boat .I look forward becoming an Arima owner and post some pics . Thanks again

Arimawannabee

Officially proud arima owner ,I need to try to find indoor storage so I can get started .Thank you all for advice and without your site I would never been able to learn so much about these boats . Thank you