News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bite me and salt boss fixed kicker bracket-where to buy?

Started by Reel Luxy Duxy, October 12, 2020, 05:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Luxy Duxy

Hello

I recent  bought a 1984 sea ranger 17.. that have a worn out Garret ? kicker bracket.. I have send hours looking for fixed bracket.
I know salt boss is out of business.. But I cannot  find any information is where to buy a bite me bracket or any fixed kicker bracket.. I google and google  found lot of information how to install.. lot of the links ..but  most are out of date or no longer valid.
Where can  I order these thing.

Thank you for your help

Tom

1984 SR 17

Allbay

Bite Me Too fixed kicker mounts can be found here:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive--Aircraft---Boat/BITE-ME-TOO-424923078018879/

I've seen fixed mount kicker brackets in Sherwood marine that looked like they had the right angle for the sponson mount.
2005 19' SR HT Honda 150
'Swiss Miss'

blindmonkey

Email Biteme2@shaw.ca. Nice people I talked to them back in January and had one on my boat.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Liberty Call

Yes.  Defiance Marine in Bremerton has fix brackets in stock for different size boats.  About $400.00.

headduck

I see the arima bracket on the site for $700. Is it cheaper at the shop?

If not...
I bet we can have a shop fab a bunch of arima knock offs if we pull dimensions from an existing bracket?

Really its 2 plates and a tube...with powder coating, which for me is extra. Bare aluminum would be fine for my needs.

Stainless material is expensive but aluminum could be affordable.

If we could get half a dozen made maybe price goes down a bit..?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

blindmonkey

When I talked to Bite Me 2 in January their price was $450 for narrow and $500 for wide brackets. Powder coated and heavy constructed aluminum. That is Canadian $ so about 50% US $ of Defiance cost if their's is $700
Lorne

Liberty Call

Headduck:  As I recall when I was there in Aug, I saw one that was $400.00.  Remember, they're a few different sizes which means different prices. 

I see the arima bracket on the site for $700. Is it cheaper at the shop?

Tailout

Are these bite me brackets the same bolt pattern as the factory? On the factory set up, if you back the bolts out, can you reistall with out digging out the fome on the inside.
2022 Arima 19' Sea Chaser Yellowtail  115 hp Yamaha, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
Fish Rite 17x54 drift boat 6hp Yamaha
2007  Sea Ranger 19',  90 hp Honda 8hp Honda Kicker (Sold)

blindmonkey

I had to file the holes in mine slightly to match boat. Don't know if that is common. Not a big deal.
Lorne

Tailout

Did the nuts on the inside stay in place, and you can run the bolts back in to them?

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: Tailout on October 14, 2020, 07:31:26 AM
Did the nuts on the inside stay in place, and you can run the bolts back in to them?

That area behind the fiberglass is foamed in. It's possible that you could screw the bolts back in but it would be a trial and error thing. There were/are several different ways the brackets were attached back in the day. Sometimes Arima installed the brackets, other times the boat dealer or owner did. Several of us have opened the inner hull under the bait box and dug out the foam to ascertain the exact method. PIA but it's worth the effort to know you have a secure connection for the kicker. Here is a picture of mine to give you an idea. The original nuts on mine were not secured to the strap but the foam would probably have held them in place to reengage the bolts but maybe not allow you to tighten them down.  :shrug9:  I added the two extra just for the extra security. Rock solid mount for my Arima bracket and kicker.

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Liberty Call

Confirmed.  I just looked at my build sheet.  It's $700.  Sorry for the miss info.

Tailout

Dubvalley

Looking at Defiance page it's now listed for ~$800.

https://defiancemarine.shop/shop/Arima-Kicker-Motor-Bracket-p231670704

I've am lucky enough to have a Salt Boss fixed bracket on my SE. It's been fantastic.
1994 16 Sea Explorer - Loves Whitecaps
2010 Yamaha F70 & 2012 Yamaha F8

2015 24 North River Seahawk OS
2015 Yamaha F250 & 2015 Yamaha T9.9

Hunter

Quote from: Dubvalley on November 12, 2020, 09:39:06 PM
Looking at Defiance page it's now listed for ~$800.

https://defiancemarine.shop/shop/Arima-Kicker-Motor-Bracket-p231670704

I've am lucky enough to have a Salt Boss fixed bracket on my SE. It's been fantastic.

Wow..... when I bought the Arima factory bracket about 5 years ago it was $495.    Plus, I'm really surprised to see that the "new" bracket has eliminated the added and welded horizontal aluminum plate below the "tube"....  Maybe not a big deal and that extra piece probably adds an extra lb or 2..... but to me it sure seemed like a great idea to substantially strengthen the overall bracket integrity and create a dynamic where more of the "pressure" of the carrying weight was pushing against the transom rather than just pulling on the mounting bolts....    The red arrows in my pics below point to the piece that they removed from the design.

Just seems to me like they basically cut costs by removing a valuable component and then also almost doubled the price.  Oh well...business is business!   

PS..... When I had my custom aluminum roof rack built I provided all the specs and then had a community college welding class (Peninsula CC in Port Angeles) take it on as a class project.   They did a fantastic job for me and my payment was basically a "donation" to the schools welding class / program to cover the materials...... I was so pleased with the results that I doubled the donation and the final was still far less than I would have paid for a for profit fabricator to build.    Just say'n that this college program might be a good route for someone to explore if in need of a custom fabbed item.   My guess is that like Headduck mentioned...if you eliminated the powder coating and just left it as raw aluminum, the price to get it done at a school might be very surprising.  Just a thought!!   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Danno

Quote from: Hunter on November 13, 2020, 02:59:24 PM

Wow..... when I bought the Arima factory bracket about 5 years ago it was $495.    Plus, I'm really surprised to see that the "new" bracket has eliminated the added and welded horizontal aluminum plate below the "tube"....  Maybe not a big deal and that extra piece probably adds an extra lb or 2..... but to me it sure seemed like a great idea to substantially strengthen the overall bracket integrity and create a dynamic where more of the "pressure" of the carrying weight was pushing against the transom rather than just pulling on the mounting bolts....    The red arrows in my pics below point to the piece that they removed from the design.

Just seems to me like they basically cut costs by removing a valuable component and then also almost doubled the price.  Oh well...business is business!   

I am not an engineering but my take is that extra gusset doesn't change the stress much on the transom but was designed to provide the box structure from flexing from the kicker's weight and propulsion forces. Considering the strength of box structures, I doubt it was necessary. The plate against the transom still puts tension on the top two bolts. The bottom two bolts don't do a whole lot but keep it in alignment against rotation of the bracket.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

BayWolf

So, after it all comes out of the wash... is the opinion of most that the fixed bracket is the way to go?  I just removed the old garlick style and am contemplating what, if anything to replace it with.  Still not sure I even want a kicker.  Its great back up, but it also adds a lot of weight to any already fat bottomed girl.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Hunter

BW.....  I think that the backup kicker option is a critical safety item.   Then add to that the value of the substantially reduced hours on your main.  I personally think that the Arima bracket, although nice, is way overpriced at $800.   I would go with the Bite Me Too at approx half the price. 

All Garmin Electronics

BayWolf

Quote from: Hunter on November 14, 2020, 03:12:41 PM
BW.....  I think that the backup kicker option is a critical safety item.   Then add to that the value of the substantially reduced hours on your main.  I personally think that the Arima bracket, although nice, is way overpriced at $800.   I would go with the Bite Me Too at approx half the price. 

Thanks for the input.   I like the looks of that bracket.  If I get a kicker, I'm thinking a little 6 hp would be fine for my 16 Chaser.  Hard to find a 6 with electric tilt.  The set back on those fixed brackets would make a manual tilt pretty darn dangerous for us old guys.

First Sergeant

Badmtrsc2r

I sent an inquiry on the Bite Me Too kicker bracket. I have the Garelick and not sure how much more of a beating it can take. I was quoted $450 US shipped to Oregon.
'98 19' SCST
'22 Suzuki DF140B
'21 Suzuki 9.9

Hydroman

Looks like that's a bargain compared to Defiance.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

BayWolf

Quote from: Hydroman on November 15, 2020, 08:57:24 AM
Looks like that's a bargain compared to Defiance.

Jim

Agree!   I like the looks of the Bite Me bracket too.

First Sergeant

Hydroman

Personally, I think it's the Cadillac of fixed brackets.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Hunter

Quote from: Badmtrsc2r on November 15, 2020, 08:24:16 AM
I sent an inquiry on the Bite Me Too kicker bracket. I have the Garelick and not sure how much more of a beating it can take. I was quoted $450 US shipped to Oregon.

That seems like a square deal.....especially including shipping from Canada to your house in Oregon...   
All Garmin Electronics