Author Topic: My biggest project yet  (Read 410 times)

Offline Tunacious

My biggest project yet
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
I hope this doesn't get to long but I thought I would explain what Im up to. 

Recently I have asked for your guidance on how to spend my money on several different topics and I thought id tel you guys what I am up to. 

Perfect opportunity for you all to tell me how to spend my money.

The first guy that tells me I need a bigger boat I'm going to give his name to my wife and she will hunt you down.  :jester:

When I first started commercial fishing with my Arima I knew I should be diverse in my fishing so I purchased a salmon permit and a Rock fish permit.

I imagined myself mostly fishing for salmon and on occasion fishing for rockfish.

At the time salmon were around and I learned to catch them.  I set my boat up with a set of salmon gurdys (or winches) so they could be removed and put back on the boat when needed.

This is what my salmon gurdys looked like:

My gurdies were made out of brass which made them heavy. 

I had to figure out how to run the gurdys with an electric motor because I did not have hydraulics and my little boat did not have room for a generator.

This worked for a while but then the salmon fishing went in the tank and I turned to my bottom fishing which was a steep learning curve.

Once I started bottom fishing I decided my gurdys were to heavy and hard to take on and off the boat so I sold my gurdies.

I built a different gurdy system to look like this:

I mounted an electric winch and a hand winch on the same pole.

This works ok but Im not a huge fan.

What I hate about the way my current gurdys are set up is there is no clutch or brake to allow the spool to free spool the weight to the bottom.

I have to use the winch to go up or down which uses amps from my battery and is slower.

Once I started rock fishing I had to learn how to catch them but I also had to develop a market for them. 

None of the processors in Garibaldi would buy enough rockfish  to make it worth me fishing.

I live 2 hours from where I moor my boat.  When I go fishing I want to try to catch my 300 lb daily limit.

Some of the other local fisherman could afford to catch orders of say like 75 lbs of fish for the day.

I decided I needed to turn my living two hours from my boat into a good thing rather than a bad thing.

I built a small little processing room and started bringing my fillets home and cutting the pin bones out of them and selling them where I live.

By marketing my fish where I live my fishing has turned into a business where all most all  of my fish I catch is sold before I catch it.

Ive caught more than 8,000 lbs of rockfish this year.

Because my little processing room is so small it is only big enough for one person to work in.

I have also out grown my 2 door freezer.

It takes me several hours to process the fillets by myself from 300 lbs of whole fish.

My wife has recently retired and has agreed to help me process fish, which will make things go much faster.

At this time I am building a larger processing facility which will be 16 x 16 feet, with a 6 foot covered porch.

This facility will have a 4 hole sink, a hand washing sink, 5 x 8 walk in cooler, a 6 foot table for boxing my fish.

Cement floors which will slope to the drain for cleaning.

I have already obtained all the permits and installed its own septic tank and grease trap, and built the cement forms. 

I had to upgrade the electric panel in my house to get a 100 amp service to the building. 

The cement will be poured this week.

So this brings me to the rest of my plan which is why I am trying to develop a better curdy than I have. 

In Oregon when you have a commercial fishing permit you are allowed to catch Lingcod under an open access. 

Which means you don't need a permit.

When I first started fishing about 5 years ago I was allowed to catch 100 lbs of lingcod a month.

Because of the protected Yellow Eye and the restrictions on methods of fishing to protect the Yellow Eye the Lingcod have flourished according to ODFW.

The quota has raised each year on lingcod and now I am allowed to catch 2,000 lbs of lingcod each month.

At this time my lingcod quota is twice the quota I am allowed for rockfish.

Even though I have watched the lingcod quota grow every year I have never targeted lingcod.

I am afraid if I start selling lingcod a lot of my rockfish costumers would  rather buy lingcod.

Lingcod is harder to catch and takes longer.

Recently I found a separate market for my lingcod and this market won't effect my rockfish market so I have decided to learn target lingcod which could potentially double the amount of fish I am able to land and sell.

The best way to target lingcod is with a  "Dingle Bar". 

Here is a diagram of how to dingle bar for lingcod.

When dingle barring for lingcod you lower a weight to the bottom of the ocean and drag a long line along the bottom with multiple hooks.

Once you have fish on the line you winch the line back in.  You can tell if you have fish on the line by placing your hand on the cable at the boat and you can feel them pulling.

Because of the size of my boat and the multiple types of fishing I do it is important that my gurdys are light enough to remove from the boat with ease, a small foot print, and yet strong enough to handle the load.

It would be very nice if this new gurdy would work for both salmon and lingcod. 

Im currently contemplating several options.

It would be nice if what ever I build would work for salmon and lingcod.

I usually use two wires on each side of the boat for salmon but I could go to just using just one wire on each side.  (Not as many salmon caught with less hooks, but a trade off to be smaller and lighter)

While thinking about this I heard about a used set of salmon gurdys with nylon spools which are lighter. 

I purchased the gurdys for $1,000 and can always sell them again if I decide not to use them.   

These gurdys still need an electric motor and the electric motors I used to use were built in China and went out of business.

I ordered a different motor and gear box from Electra Dyne which will show up tomorrow. 

Electra Dyne builds a high dollar pot puller on the east coast.

The motor and gear box cost about twice as the old motors but I think they are built much better. 

The new motor and gear box will be here tomorrow for me to look at.  I can return the motor and gear box if I decide they won't work.

I could cut the new gurdys in half and make a single spool system and use one spool which would make it lighter, but then I would be limited to just one wire per side of the boat if I want to use the same system for salmon.

The other option is to use these winches Shawn gave me for lingcod and build something completely different for what when I want to salmon fish.

Here is the winch Shawn gave me.

These were given to Shawn by his grandpa.

The stainless wire sat on the aluminum spools for probably 30 years and caused a lot of corrosion.

Got the spools cleaned up the best I could. 

Im waiting for the electrical motors to get back from being rebuilt.

If you look at the right hand side of the motor on this winch you can see a knurled knob that if you turn it engages a brake which allows the spool to free spin.

The motor also has a geared reduction built into the system.

Im sure this brake system is not as good as the large brake system a salmon curdy has but it might be sufficient.

Ive decided I need to work on the set of winches Shawn gave me first, and then decide if they will work before I spend a bunch of money on the salmon gurdys.

If the winches Shawn gave me work I could always add a removable hand curdy for when I fish for salmon.

Im thinking the easiest would be to just use two wires for salmon and keep the footprint of the gurdys small.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:16:59 AM by Tunacious »
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline First Cabin

Re: My biggest project yet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
Wow.  Glad I'm not retired.  Don't think I have the energy for it.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
Wow.  Glad I'm not retired.  Don't think I have the energy for it.

Im not sure whats wrong with me.

A little ADD, a bunch of OCD, a lot of competitive.

I spend a lot of time second guessing myself.  I have to keep reminding my self I did this so I could catch fish.

I have other fisherman asking me to process their fish for them and I could do that but I don't want to be a processor.

My wife has graciously agreed to help me process our fish but I don't think she is keen on becoming a fish processor either.

This processing facility will open a lot of opportunity for me though.

There are a lot of on line farmers markets popping up.

I tell the online farmers market I have fish, they advertise it and sell it.

I then deliver the fish to the location and the customers pick it up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:15:29 AM by Tunacious »
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »
My wife bought some "fresh" rockfish at Costco a couple months ago.  She spent $17.51 for 3-4 lbs of boneless fillets.  I told her I could have caught them....would have taken all day, at least $150, and there would be a few bones in my fillets.

Hope there is some money in it for you.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
My wife bought some "fresh" rockfish at Costco a couple months ago.  She spent $17.51 for 3-4 lbs of boneless fillets.  I told her I could have caught them....would have taken all day, at least $150, and there would be a few bones in my fillets.

Hope there is some money in it for you.

There is some money To be made but by building this facility I’m adding value to my fish and cutting out the middle man.

To make money at fishing I’ve learned to be diversified and add value to my product by processing, in this case vacuum packing my fish.

Your right though on the $150 to go fishing.

I may not be getting rich but I’m not going broke fishing either.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:28:00 PM by Tunacious »
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
Have you stopped commercial tuna??

Oh yeah you need a bigger boat
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28’ Farallon Walkaround

Offline Wiley

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »
Maybe you could allow others to use your new facility for processing their fish. For a percentage. Or like the barbers do, rent a chair.
86 c Dory 22’ new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 03:21:45 PM »
Have you stopped commercial tuna??

Oh yeah you need a bigger boat

I haven’t given up on tuna.

We had two bad years of tuna fishing then last year was awesome but I was broke down in need of a new motor.

I was ready to go this year and the fish never got close enough.

I’ve been buying my tuna fish from a large boat and then processing it into 10 lb bags and selling it.

I’ve found I probably make as much money this way as I do catching it myself because I can keep fishing for rockfish.

This year I sold about 4,000 lbs of tuna.

But again I started this whole thing to fish.

I have to pay the bills though if I want to keep fishing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:53:25 PM by Tunacious »
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »
Maybe you could allow others to use your new facility for processing their fish. For a percentage. Or like the barbers do, rent a chair.

There are no other fisherman in my area.

There are always people looking to rent a certified kitchen though.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
Look into a kristal kf-001 or similar for your set up I think it will work well for you.

I use one for vertical long line for rockfish down here. I also use a hydro pinch puller for set long line.

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 07:01:06 PM »
Look into a kristal kf-001 or similar for your set up I think it will work well for you.

I use one for vertical long line for rockfish down here. I also use a hydro pinch puller for set long line.

I took a look at those Krystal kf-001

I was watching east coast tuna show last night and noticed they were using something similar that looked like it was powered by hydraulic.

Do  you put fishing line on your reel or do you use stainless steel wire like they use for salmon fishing?
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline disposable

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »
dang man, that's some retirement. i like it, though: commercial to fund your hobby. i can get with that. well played!

i see you have outriggers so i would optimize my spread and keep double spools on the gurdies. inside and outside, on each side, seems optimum to me (as long as your outriggers spread far enough). i've only used hydraulic gurdies, love the ability to smoothly throttle up and down... and would imagine electrical is a challenge... but i'd love to hear more about your experience once you've used them a while. please share details on that. i hear you on the struggles of trying to stay light, but double the yield seems like a no-brainer, since all your adding is the extra spool and drag plate for each gurdy set.

lings are great and easy to sell, plus i'd imagine you're averaging 10-15lbs each to market in your area... so i think you'll make a killing and have a fun season to boot. were you saying you'll be fishing the dingle setup for lings on your salmon gear, or not? when we fish salmon down in the mud, like we had nearby two seasons ago, we'll often run by a rock and pick up a ling or two on the salmon leaders... so obviously the troll speed is acceptable, and with appropriate tackle i'd imagine you can target them pretty easily... so i think it makes sense to target salmon at their appropriate depth, and then run a lower leader for lings if you're near rocks (especially toward the end of your salmon season)... where i fish we grab lings as much as 20' off the rocks so you might be able to run 2-3 leaders, assuming you have fathom stops on your steel line (and cover 8/14/20' off bottom)... i've also noticed that lings will "climb the line" once the low one is hooked on gangions, so maybe even higher... just checking, is that your vision? i'm confused by the idea of running separate gurdies for salmon vs. lings, but perhaps i misunderstood.

is it out of the question to get a higher speed motor so you can use your gurdies for RF? maybe there's some way to run gangion leaders (5-10 hook longlines) off your steel lines...? maybe a big spoon at the end to keep them stretched out...? i don't really know what your tradeoffs would be there, but that way you can keep them mounted through all the seasons... otherwise, i suppose you could focus on a better system to mount/remove them...

home processing is a great way to cut out the middle man, and if you're going retail direct you've actually cut out TWO of them! cutting a hundred fish or so is doable if you're set up for it, but it might be worthwhile to hire a local and focus on your fishing (even if you and your wife were to focus on the cutting itself, mucking and packing is definitely a low-wage job). one thing that we see a lot of down here is whole RF (and oven-ready stuffed RF during the holidays), just G/G and scrape the scales off - and another is live nearshore species - but both of these may be specific to our demographics. just throwing it out there. maybe as you build your customer base, you can nudge some people toward trying new ideas, like the successful guys do at farmers market...? maybe some recipe cards, cooking instructions, or seasonal specials to build the alternatives...?

and if you're gonna do home processing, have you considered what you could do with the fish offal? i've heard oregon has some really big farm supply and supplement dealers... maybe there's an agricultural application for your fish meal? i've never done it but i hear you can pass fish waste through a large grinder and make commercial protein meal, useable for soils/livestock/aquaponics...? IDK, maybe another crazy idea to keep your wheels spinning, but maybe better than throwing that all out in the dumpster...
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
Disposable
Im not super happy with my current set up for salmon.

I haven’t salmon fished though for at least three years.

With the lack of salmon I do much better bottom fishing.

I’m building a new gurdy system to dingle bar for lingcod.

I need something light and easy to remove.

It would be nice if my new system would double for replacing my salmon gurdys.

I agree that if I had two spools on each side of the boat my salon fishing would be better but I don’t think it doubles.  Really depends on how deep the water is your fishing.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
Today I finished up with refurbishing the winches Shawn gave me.

I had the motors rebuilt. Cleaned up the spools. Packed the gear boxes with grease.

I had really hoped these winches were going to work.

The winch has a brake system which works by tightening the knob on the right side of the spool.

When the brake is off the spool does not turn with the shaft.

When you tighten the knob to engage the brake the spool then turns with the shaft.

The problem is as you tighten the brake the knob your turning on to tighten the brake starts to turn with the shaft.

It’s hard to get the brake tight enough so the spool completely tightens and doesn’t slip.

The gear box is also rather noisy.

I think the salmon gurdys are going to be a better design.

Salmon gurdy has a much bigger brake and much easier to engage and did engage.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 09:56:52 AM »
Your Gordy project looks like a huge improvement! Good luck slaying the fish!
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »
Tunacious...I’m very impressed with you setup, plans, and your tenacity!

Realizing you do not have room for a generator, have you looked into electrically actuated hydraulics?
Yeah...it would require a larger battery bank but it seems it might be the answer to your hydraulics dilemma.
Just a thought...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 04:38:42 AM »
   Tunacious:   You're going to need a "larger vessel".   Notice, I didn't say "bigger boat"........as a result, you won't be allowed to sic your wife on me.  Ha

Yat
"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."........Maya Angelou

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
   Tunacious:   You're going to need a "larger vessel".   Notice, I didn't say "bigger boat"........as a result, you won't be allowed to sic your wife on me.  Ha

Yat

I’ll try taking your lead and start using your language of a larger vessel.
I’ll get back to you how this works out for me.

Actually I love my Arima.

I get to thinking once in a while I need a bigger boat which leads to weeks of research.

In the end I decide I have it pretty good.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »

Realizing you do not have room for a generator, have you looked into electrically actuated hydraulics?
Yeah...it would require a larger battery bank but it seems it might be the answer to your hydraulics dilemma.
Just a thought...

I’ve never heard of this.
I’ll look into it.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »

Just a thought...

Electric activated hydraulics is intriging.
It doesn’t seem like it would take anymore battery than I’d be using for electric winches.
It seems very complicated.
At least it is for me to read about it.
I don’t learn well by reading.
I’m a see it guy.
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Offline Tj805

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »
Have you tried fishing ling cod with a trap rig ?
That's how most commercial guys in my area do it and there very successful.
I've also seen where people dingle barred for them off of downriggers and that had worked great as well.

I fish trap rigs with big baits and the big lings sure love it !
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 07:23:06 PM »
We use heavy spectra and clips on the kristal

The deeper stuff we run tub or buckets and a hydro pinch puller run off of a Honda powerpack

Offline Tunacious

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 08:28:28 PM »
Have you tried fishing ling cod with a trap rig ?
That's how most commercial guys in my area do it and there very successful.
I've also seen where people dingle barred for them off of downriggers and that had worked great as well.

I fish trap rigs with big baits and the big lings sure love it !

I have never heard of a trap rig before.

I googled it and figured it out.

Very interesting.

Another project I’ve been working on fits right into this method.

When I jig for lingcod often times the current is to fast to keep your weight under the boat.

As my weight gets farther and farther away from the boat I start dragging my weight and then I get hung up.

I built a hand gurdy and put 300 lb line on it.

It’s like a giant fishing pole but made out of stainless steel.

My idea was to use a 10 lb wight to keep the weight below the boat.

I thought I’d put a halibut spreader just above the weight and put a short line tied to the leg of the spreader.

My hook and bait will be attached to the short line. I was thinking of a piece of tuna belly tied to a rubber bait with a tail.

I hope to be able to bounce the weight on the ground and use a hand gurdy to catch lingcod.

I really haven’t told anybody yet because I haven’t got to try it yet.

I’m not sure if it will work but I added a bungee cord to the top pulls so I can tell if I have a fish on.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:50:47 PM by Tunacious »
2003 Sea Ranger 21' HT
2003 130 Honda

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle