News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

On the lookout...16 Chaser wanted.

Started by BayWolf, October 08, 2020, 10:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

Hey Arima family,

We're on the lookout for a nice, later model 16 Chaser.  I appreciate the leads that people have sent so far.  We've settled on a 16 Chaser as the Goldilocks boat for us, but will also look at a 17 Chaser.

Please keep a lookout for us and pass along any leads.

If you're thinking of selling your 16 Chaser this year (no hurry), please let us know.

As always, thank you all for such a great place, and all the help.  :beerchug:

P&S
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

amazing grace

P, stay patient. as we have discussed. I purchased my 19SRHT amidst the virus as you know. Got a great boat at a great price. I know there has been a lot of discussion about prices being very high. I do not buy that. Sure you can ask what ever you want. And maybe someone will buy it. I would not over pay. As the season closes and the holidays near prices will be very good again and you will find the boat that fits your needs. I think a 17'er is your huckleberry.  :food:

Good luck my friend.  :flagwave:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

GregE

We'll be back in Portland in a couple weeks ........  Taking the hitch ball with me if you need help towing

G
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BayWolf

Thanks Guys,  This is what make the Arima family so great!!

First Sergeant

Leilani Jo

As i biased owner of a lovely 17' chaser, I think that's the goldilocks of Arimas.  Nice dancefloor, not too big, but not so small you couldn't head offshore. I'm all about a wider beam too (imagine your garage isn't a fan though).  I need about 23 feet of space in my garage without a swing on the tongue.  She's on rollers too and I clear my 9 ft garage by about 6 inches. 

Hope you can grab a deal on either size, but for my money i'd pay for the additional foot overall and inches of beam. 

Good luck! they are out there.  Price to beat is $8500 with a 115hp  yammie and 8 hp kicker (both 4 strokes).  I got an 87' though so doubt if you hit that target if you want a post millennial version. 

-Lj
1987 17' Sea Chaser
2012 Yamaha F115A
2016 Tohatsu 8hp

BayWolf

Quote from: Leilani Jo on October 08, 2020, 11:09:18 AM
As i biased owner of a lovely 17' chaser, I think that's the goldilocks of Arimas.  Nice dancefloor, not too big, but not so small you couldn't head offshore. I'm all about a wider beam too (imagine your garage isn't a fan though).  I need about 23 feet of space in my garage without a swing on the tongue.  She's on rollers too and I clear my 9 ft garage by about 6 inches. 

Hope you can grab a deal on either size, but for my money i'd pay for the additional foot overall and inches of beam. 

Good luck! they are out there.  Price to beat is $8500 with a 115hp  yammie and 8 hp kicker (both 4 strokes).  I got an 87' though so doubt if you hit that target if you want a post millennial version. 

-Lj

Thank you. Parking space is definitely a critical consideration for us.  The boat needs to fit in our standard garage space (one side).  20ft deep and through a 7ft door.   I suppose I could do the off site storage thing again, but in my old age, I'd really like to keep things as simple as possible.  We will be using the boat for fishing the south sound and lakes primarily, and on fair weather days.  So, the ease of just pulling the boat out of the garage and going is a big plus. And I love to putts around on the boat, so having it in the garage near my tools is also a good thing. 
I'm sure there is one out there for us...it's just a matter of the cosmos, pyramids and moon aligned correctly.

First Sergeant

Leilani Jo

that's a clean boat!  :yeahthat:

Baywolf: Following up on dimensions: my 17' SC on rollers is at a height of 7'6" (My garage door is 8', not 9').  Imagine on bunks you'd have no problem fitting an 1511 or 17' though a 7' door. 

as far as trailer i have about 30" I could cut from overall length with a swing hitch, so with your constraints a 17' SC would *just* fit, bet you'd have to turn the outboard to one side to do it though!

All that being said, I could understand a 1511 SC being the goldilocks for you.  my garage has a bump out to fit that extra length but unless i opt for a swing hitch I cant get to the back of the boat without becoming a contortionist.

1987 17' Sea Chaser
2012 Yamaha F115A
2016 Tohatsu 8hp

BayWolf

Quote from: Leilani Jo on October 09, 2020, 10:45:56 AM
that's a clean boat!  :yeahthat:

Baywolf: Following up on dimensions: my 17' SC on rollers is at a height of 7'6" (My garage door is 8', not 9').  Imagine on bunks you'd have no problem fitting an 1511 or 17' though a 7' door. 

as far as trailer i have about 30" I could cut from overall length with a swing hitch, so with your constraints a 17' SC would *just* fit, bet you'd have to turn the outboard to one side to do it though!

All that being said, I could understand a 1511 SC being the goldilocks for you.  my garage has a bump out to fit that extra length but unless i opt for a swing hitch I cant get to the back of the boat without becoming a contortionist.

Thanks for the detailed information.  It helps a lot.

First Sergeant

BayWolf

First Sergeant

AJFishin

You're going to like SC16 when you get one. I love mine and it's great to have as it can go anywhere, it's easy to tow, park, get in tight spots, make U turns, and of course it's very sea worthy.
With mine I had 2 storage boxes and then I removed one and gained a larger deck, one of the best decisions I made with it.
If you look in the Measurements thread, you'll see the 17's deck space is only 2" longer then the 16, but of course you gain a few inches more in width length, and height.
Both are great boats though.

Good luck in your search, the right one will pop up.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

Another advantage of the 16 is, it keeps you in the 60/70 class motors.  Going with a 17 will force you to those bigger blocks.  Not sure if it's actually worth it, considering the marginal amount of space gained.  Forgive me.....it's subjective, I know, but one of the reasons I've never really been a big fan of the 17's. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

i will disagree with Yat. While the 15/16'ers are great boats. And seaworthy in their own right. I know many use off shore or near shore with great success. A 17' Arima is a big step up size and capabilities imho. Especially considering the waters in proximity to where the Arima legacy was created. A 17' is definitely worth it as it relates to it smaller brethren.  :flagwave:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

BayWolf

I'm grateful for the insights and opinions.  We're still open to either, but since this will be my "forever boat", and I see us using it less over the years rather than more, I think the 16 would be the prefect boat for us.   The way salmon are managed in this state, (sorry for pushing the political boundary) the prospects of us transitioning to more trout, kokanee and perch fishing is very real.  So, as a lake boat, the ease of towing, launching and storing the 16 for us makes it a plus.

Please, keep us in mind if you happen to come across a nice 16.   The competition for these boats is ridicules.  It is a testament to the boats, but it is also a little madding.

First Sergeant

Yachter Yat

Sorry  AG, but I have to respectfully disagree about the 17.  Let me see if I can adequately express this in a more pragmatic way:  Okay...........when offshore, I think you would find the difference between 17 and 16 to be........"0".  That aside, here's the question:  Why get into more weight, a bigger motor, and more expense all-around, just for the sake of 2 additional inches of aft deck? While yes, the 17 does offer a bit more space, by virtue of its beam, that benefit comes with a price.......and it has to do with the loss of efficiency relating to its aspect ratio; no doubt, a topic for another discussion, but one that should definitely factor into the decision in question.   Personally, I always   thought Arima would have been better off to skip over that size and go directly to the 19's.  OR..........better yet (and as I've been preaching for years); they should have stretched the Sea Hunter deck by 5" and the 1511 platform by 13" (to a full 17 feet) and left the beam and bulkiness of the 17 behind.  Can you imagine an Explorer, or your 16 SC, with 13" more aft platform?  Do these ideas excite anybody?  No?.........Check your pulse! :jester:

Yat......the Iconoclast  Ha
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

nice try yat, I wil give you an f for effort. btw, I could not get past the first sentence. That just comes from as much of your post history as I could stand.  :redface: :jester:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Yachter Yat

Okaay.    Now........what about the boats? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

BayWolf

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference.  Tomato-tomaato.   There are differences, advantages and disadvantages to everything. 

Having all things laid out in nice little columns, the 16 just seems like it would work better for us.  If parking space/ convenance  were not factored in, then the 17 might work.

I drove my little 15 ft smoker craft in the lakes and puget sound a lot...never seemed to mind the size, speed.  It did get "uncomfortable" when taking waves off the side.  And there wasn't much standing up and walking around done.  So, a 16 Chaser will feel like a big boat for us.

SOMEONE... SELL ME YOUR 16 CHASER THAT YOU HAVE TAKEN CARE OF LIKE IT WAS A BABY... :jester:

First Sergeant

polarbill1999

My pops just sent me a message yesterday saying he is probably going to put his 1996 16 sea chaser up for sale.

He hasn't thought about it much yet to decide what he would list it for but dm me if you want more details and I can ask him what he is thinking for price. 

Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

NWspeedthree

1991 Sea Explorer, Evinrude E-Tec 60

BayWolf

Quote from: NWspeedthree on October 17, 2020, 12:33:04 PM
Just seen this on Craigslist

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/port-orchard-arima-sea-chaser-1511/7215369585.html

I think this is the same boat that was on sale for 20 minutes for $6300.  I've left several messages and got no reply.

First Sergeant

headduck

Wow...that's a pretty solid come up.  :facepalm:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Rtperch1

I have a 1996 16' SC with a 2006 Yamaha 70 with 600 hours. Engine is serviced every year! It's in good shape and has extras like GPS, VHF ,etc The trailer is functional but not very pretty. Also the paint on the motor is faded and the stitching on the rear dropdown on the canvas needs repair. Boat works great without it. I never have the top up anyway to avoid windage.
I'm looking for $10,000 including such things as anchor and chain, life jackets, etc. It's not a bargain but it is a good value. Solid boat.
I'm down in Eureka, CA.
tpete@reninet.com

BayWolf

Quote from: Rtperch1 on October 20, 2020, 11:16:52 AM
I have a 1996 16' SC with a 2006 Yamaha 70 with 600 hours. Engine is serviced every year! It's in good shape and has extras like GPS, VHF ,etc The trailer is functional but not very pretty. Also the paint on the motor is faded and the stitching on the rear dropdown on the canvas needs repair. Boat works great without it. I never have the top up anyway to avoid windage.
I'm looking for $10,000 including such things as anchor and chain, life jackets, etc. It's not a bargain but it is a good value. Solid boat.
I'm down in Eureka, CA.
tpete@reninet.com

Sent you an email.

Thanks for the heads up..

First Sergeant

Vancouvertechie

I do love 16's.  Just so easy to manage with one person. 

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht