News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

bimini

Started by ChesapeakeArima, March 20, 2012, 09:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesapeakeArima

Since I got my 97 SR last year I never used the bimini (benefit of being an east-coaster).  I decided to put it up and see what kind of shape it is in.  Well...there are no straps left on it, looks like they dry rotted and are now missing or in pieces.  I understand there were two that hang down off the rear bow to pull it down/back and keep it tight, but what are the other straps for.  Looks like they have something to do with keeping the middle bow tight but I only have remnants of these straps and can't figure out how they would go on.  Anyone know where to get replacements an/or have a pic of what it should look like?  On the plus side, the canvas is in pretty good shape, probably need a new windshield though if I would like to see through it!!

Thanks,
Justin
1997 19SR  2008 E Tec 115

woody

Justin

We could take and post pictures but you are going to have to enlist the help of a canvas man anyway .. for the clear vinyl.  Same time he could do the straps.  Typically front bow to rear to keep in position with wind.  The rear ones do go from rear bow (should see chrome hasps there) down to the floor (similar hasps there).

I've altered my top significantly so one of the guys with an original top will have to post.

But ... once again, you have to see a canvas man ... let him do it.

Woody

StreamFixer

And remember some of the straps will go from a bow to the bow ... English is such a weird language

Bow - what you shoot arrows with or, in this case, a metal pipe arch

Bow - the front of the boat   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishorcrab

One test for early computer natural language software was to feed it the following sentences to see how it handled them.

"Time flies like an arrow."
"Fruit flies like a banana."

Someone submitted "out of sight, out of mind" to an early language translator program.  That got translated into the other language as "the invisible idiot".

What we really need is artificial common sense. There exists so little of the real thing.   :shrug9:

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Fish On

Quote from: StreamFixer on March 20, 2012, 09:51:41 AM
And remember some of the straps will go from a bow to the bow ... English is such a weird language

Bow - what you shoot arrows with or, in this case, a metal pipe arch

Bow - the front of the boat   :doh:

StreamFixer

SF, don't forget to take a :bowdown: for that...
'04 21 SR HT/150 Honda - Yammie T8 - Lovin' it

La-Z-Buoy

Justin,

These pictures are from my 87 17 SC original top (I think). They may not have continued to make it like this thru 97, I don't know. Hope it helps.

Richard

This is the strap from the rear arch to the front arch. One on each side, adjustable.

This is the strap from the main bow to the floor.

Floor strap to the bow.

How it's attached to the bow.

Small strap allows the top to be folded forward and attached to the boat just under the window frame on the sides for going down the road.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

xplorz

LZB, in the second to the last pic, the one with your hand in it, I believe the strap you are showing there is not in the position that will allow use of the rear drop curtain. Where you can see the U cutout in the side window close to where the strap attaches to the bow, that U is for the strap to go to the inside the window. I just got rather familar with my original SC-17 top as I had to take it all apart and get new zippers and glass for the front window.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

La-Z-Buoy

You could be right, I do have the drop attached but maybe it would fit better the other way. I'll have the try it. Thanks.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

xplorz

Checked out the strap routing yesterday after work and it looks like it can be used either way.  :shrug9:

I like the inside routing as it looks a lot "cleaner".
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

BigMac

Justin,

Recommend Sunbrella (the completely waterproof one) as the material you have made into the new bimini.

It's a bit more spendy than the mostly waterproof Sunbrella, but really looks good and has withstood our PNW winter weather (RAIN!!) with no leaks so far.

CanvasGuy is the expert in this area and he may have other recommendations.

Dave