Author Topic: About to become a 17 sr owner, Quesions for you all.  (Read 245 times)

Online hskbvn

About to become a 17 sr owner, Quesions for you all.
« on: Yesterday at 07:39:30 AM »
Hello all,
I am new to the forum, and about to become a 17 sea ranger owner :) very excited about it.
I live in the Bay Area, CA and do some fishing on the sloughs, San Francisco Bay, and the Delta.
I'd owned a Boston Whaler 15, and an outrage 18 before, but sold them all due to various reasons.
My brother who lives in the WA told me about Arima boats, and recommends for its lower floor, and the forward cuddy and so on.

Recently, i found a 17sr with decent new 90hp motor, and decided to buy it.
I'd like the boat to be around 17-18 feet so that i can keep it on my driveway, but can also put in the garage when we are on long vacations.

As for my now gone boats, the bw 15 was good, but it's little small for the sf bay. I then got the bw outrage 18 with a 115 hp Yamaha. Loved the boat, the power but hated to maintain (keeping the water out of the foam under the floor is not an easy job). The outrage 18 has build-in fuel tank, and my boat cover was leaking water, which sipped into the fuel tank area.

2 good reasons i decided for the Arima are the low floor/high gunwale, and the cuddy for some privacy when my wife and daughter decide to go fishing with me.

Could you Arima owners tell me what to look for and how to keep the boat in good shape? any concern for water getting into the foam?
Thank you very much
hskbvn

Offline headduck

Re: About to become a 17 sr owner, Quesions for you all.
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:51:56 AM »
87 - 17 ranger here.

Gotta say the water in the foam has not been an issue. May be ignorance, but not much discussion on the board regarding that either... except when some folks do deck rebuilds there are some comments on water logged foam.

Gas tank is plastic and "above ground" so no issues there. But the bilge under the tank and the space around the tank can get nasty and folks typically pull tanks and clean up and do bilge maintenance. This also makes the wiring upgrade easier too.

The wiring is notoriously bad on the older boats. Non-marine
non-tinned wiring corrodes a bit over the last 30 yrs. That would probably be a good issue to address if not done by previous owner. Folks often do a full replacement. Lots of info on that, a search will be rich with results.

Kicker brackets and access, as well as downrigger mounts are additional points that may be relevant sooner than later.

These old hulls are pretty robust and with a couple updates perform nearly as well as what's being released today.

Welcome aboard.

1987 17' Sea Ranger 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 90 Honda

Offline amazing grace

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:57:10 AM »
Congats and welcome to our forum.The 17SR will be a great boat for up to 3 people. A safe and very capable boat. The Arima'a are pretty simple thought out design.
Since you have basic boat knowledge everything will make sense to you.

Just take a bit of time to get familiar with it and you should be good to go. Enjoy and let us know more about it
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Offline disposable

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:04:26 AM »
In my experience, the more you use it the better it gets. If possible, try to avoid parking it on boilers (ask me how I know) and try to avoid major explosions in the outboard (ask me how I know)... but even those are fixable. My point is owner error is your biggest problem, not inherent design flaws. Arimas tend to hold a bit of bilge water, especially if parked level (low keel), and generally speaking bilge management tends to be a top annoyance for owners, but I’ve never known them to soak up water internally. Some owners struggle with the window frames, it’s easy to add kickers but some people seem to mess that up, the vertical wood/starboard paneling can get loose/loud/rattle, wiring can be a problem if previous owner was careless, some factory hard tops get wobbly but some don’t, in the PNW propane heaters can be done well or done dangerously... but I see five solid beautiful old boats for every one with a single problem. I think you’re in for a good time, just be patient til you find the one you want. Good luck
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:09:36 AM »
I moved from a Whaler Montauk to Arima 19HT. I dramatically prefer the Arima and fish the same areas as you with a lot of ocean fishing mixed in out the gate, HMB and Bodega. The ride on the Arima is better than a Montauk if you use trim tabs, or even without them really. Probably a little worse than an Outrage at cutting through chop but much more dry ride. They're fuel efficient, easy to operate, and very fishy. I've already caught a ton of fish out of mine and have only been fishing it the last 6 months or so. Doing basic maintenance should keep it in good shape, ie wash down after use, flush motor etc. I also love the in floor fish boxes it comes with. They're quite stable on anchor as well which is awesome for sturgeon fishing the Delta/SPB. I've been seeing a growing number of Arimas in our area.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Online hskbvn

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:17:42 AM »
Thanks headduck,
The boat i am buying is very close to the one you have, so i would appreciate if you can post some pictures of your boats, the layout of equipment, and stuff if you don't mind.
My brother is helping me buying the boat, and i'll have to hire someone to go to WA and tow the boat to CA (either buy him a 1 way ticket, rent a truck or rent truck here. I've taken the route a few time, but my wife won't be happy for me to go there and tow the boat myself :) ). I have not seen the boat in person, but through video chat :)
Here in the bay area, rarely you see an Arima for sale ( https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/pittsburg-arima-17-cuddy-hp/7195041654.html )

Thanks amazing grace,
 i am relatively new to boating and fishing, and try to learn more.
Every time our family go back to WA to visit our intermediate families, i go crabbing and salmon fishing with my brother (he lives in Mukilteo).

Online hskbvn

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:25:44 AM »
Thanks disposable for all the tips,
 Norcalfish80, good to know :) . do you go to Alviso Sough at all? it's very close to my home, and i go there often since it's so close. I haven't tried the salmon out of the golden gate yet as i am still a newbie. I only fish inside the bay for halibuts.   With this new 17sr, i will learn more and will take it out for salmon maybe next seaon.

Offline Chovy

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:36:18 AM »
Do you fish for sturgeon on the slough? I've got a 19SR nearby if you're ever looking for a buddy boat going out on the pacific.
2004 Sea Ranger 19 - 2004 Honda 135

Offline snoodog

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:42:25 AM »
Man that SC17 is not a good deal. 13.5 for a 88 boat with old power. That boat is about 3-4K overpriced. Also that trailer will need work probably so just overall not a good deal
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:46:15 AM by snoodog »

Online hskbvn

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:46:49 AM »
Chovy, sure i would love to have a buddy even in the bay, or the slough.
snoodog, yes he's asking for too much, i don't think he can sell with that asking price.

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:14:35 AM »
Never fished Alviso, I live in the North Bay so normally fish the Delta system or San Pablo Bay for dinos. Happy to buddy boat with you out in the ocean as well, I fish the ocean most weekends in the summer. Or just the Bay/delta!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Offline straiteagle

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:34:46 AM »
Man that SC17 is not a good deal. 13.5 for a 88 boat with old power. That boat is about 3-4K overpriced. Also that trailer will need work probably so just overall not a good deal

I'd say more than double the price that it should be- no kicker, poor electronics.  I sold my 1989 17SR, back in 2006 for $7000.  Same 2 stroke main engine, but with 9.9 4 stroke kicker, newer electronics and better trailer, electric DR's.
2005 Sea Legend, 200HP Suzuki,15HP EFI Suzuki

Online hskbvn

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:46:22 AM »
It's suck not having a boat since i sold mine. This thing takes me an hour to go through Alviso slough at 5mph :)

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:40:28 AM »
I have fished Alviso many times. There is some big fish in there at the right times. Gotta be careful running around out there. Lots of very shallow water.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline headduck

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 02:59:41 PM »
Here is a shot of my little ranger.

7" ff/gps at the helm, radar on the passenger side, but rarely deployed.

Down rigger mounts on each side toward the aft.

2015 115 merc main

2012 evinrude kicker on a non-arima specific kicker bracket. A little long but price was right.

Some wiring updated but not all of it. Main power, gound, to motors, connection to helm, acr and switch down rigger supply.

Smaller octagon shrimps pots and tubs as well as ice chest filling the deck space.

The storage seat is nice for the passenger.

I liken these little boats to jeeps...in terms of robustness, capability, and owner mods. Each unique.

Little workhorses of a boat for sure.

Offline snoodog

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:14:40 PM »
Nice little setup how much did it run you to get it outfitted like that? 20?

Offline headduck

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:06:13 PM »
Probably 20 ish maybe a bit more with all extras and not putting much value on my time. This is why I advocate for some of the older hulls with new power in the 15k range

I don't baby it or scrub it up shiny after every outing but the things important to me and my needs are sorted.

It's a tool for enjoying life a bit more and is pretty good at its job. :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:09:51 PM by headduck »

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:59:31 AM »
Agree with all. Arimas are perfect for fishing the SF bay area. I have a 2003 19 Ranger and fish it from the delta to out the gate. It can take way more than I can. Very stable fishing platform in anchor or drifting. Easy to maintain with basic maintenance/cleaning. They are super fishy boats, been fishing mine for about a year and caught tons of fish all over with it. There are a few of us here in the bay area. We should all buddy up sometime and catch a ton of fish. If you ever want to check one out in the north bay let me know
2003 19 Sea Ranger 90 Honda
Bay Area, CA

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:17:51 AM »
Agree with all. Arimas are perfect for fishing the SF bay area. I have a 2003 19 Ranger and fish it from the delta to out the gate. It can take way more than I can. Very stable fishing platform in anchor or drifting. Easy to maintain with basic maintenance/cleaning. They are super fishy boats, been fishing mine for about a year and caught tons of fish all over with it. There are a few of us here in the bay area. We should all buddy up sometime and catch a ton of fish. If you ever want to check one out in the north bay let me know

We should plan an Arima fishing trip!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Online hskbvn

« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:44:13 AM »
Great ideal Norcalfish80 :)

Chevyeater707, Norcalfish80, Fisherdv, and Chovy,  let's make a Bay Area group so that we can go fish together.

Chevyeater707, I would love to check it out. I've never been to a arima boat before, and with my situation, not sure when i will have the boat in hand :) I'll PM you.
Thanks.

Offline 85seahunter

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:58:53 AM »
Great ideal Norcalfish80 :)

Chevyeater707, Norcalfish80, Fisherdv, and Chovy,  let's make a Bay Area group so that we can go fish together.

Chevyeater707, I would love to check it out. I've never been to a arima boat before, and with my situation, not sure when i will have the boat in hand :) I'll PM you.
Thanks.
Count me in too
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle