Author Topic: Fake pumps online  (Read 437 times)

Offline davidsea

Fake pumps online
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:44:20 AM »
   I was on Amazon today comparing prices for the above post on Rule pumps on sale.  BUYER BEWARE.....lots of cheap knock-offs that look just like Rule and other name brand pumps.  The Rule copies look identical...same red, white, and blue color, same white lettering, and similar-sounding names.   One Rule 1100 copy claims 1100 GPH with a 3 amp max. drain,  includes a float switch and 3-year warranty - for $17.99.   Uhhh - don't think so.   The real one draws 4.7 amps and costs $45 on sale, switch optional.
   While Arimas won't sink, they also won't get on plane full of water.  I've tried it - in fresh water - and if the water is much above the aft floor, it takes a LONG time to pump out enough to get the boat up and planing, even with my 900 and 700 GPH pumps both running.
If you need to save money, this is one of the worst places to do it, especially if you have only one pump onboard.    m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda 115
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda 50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Offline gtboosted

Re: Fake pumps online
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
The one's you mentioned for $17 are easy to spot because they are listed as different brands. So they're not really fake. They only copy the color scheme.

What you should really be worried about is the listings for the Rule brand. You may think you are buying the correct one but can receive a fake one. One that will say "Rule" but it's a copy.

You can avoid most fakes by purchasing when it says "Ship and sold by Amazon". But it's not really a guarantee with small brands.

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
The one's you mentioned for $17 are easy to spot because they are listed as different brands. So they're not really fake. They only copy the color scheme.

What you should really be worried about is the listings for the Rule brand. You may think you are buying the correct one but can receive a fake one. One that will say "Rule" but it's a copy.

You can avoid most fakes by purchasing when it says "Ship and sold by Amazon". But it's not really a guarantee with small brands.

:yeahthat:

They try to do a good job on making them look identical.
The one on the left is fake.
1996 Sea Chaser 16, 2018 Suzuki DF60AV
1987 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90

My SC17 project videos:
www.youtube.com/socalseachaser

Offline Koopa253

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:07:07 PM »
I bought one of the “fake” pumps on purpose because I wanted the exact size replacement due to the size limitations in the bildge. Rule just had to go redesign things, in my opinion, needed no redesign. I’m actually glad the sea-flo fit right in with little to no readjustments to the bilge area. I will let you know how they work out but they definitely don’t sound as nice as the rule. Anyone do a direct replacement of an older rule with one of the new ones? My concern is they changed the base which requires remounting if your not able to utilize the screw holes installed by the factory. My second bilge I glued in the base because there was no room to screw in the screws for the base. So when that goes I will have to glue in another rule. I literally have backups for just about all components with exception to the bilge pump so the redesign of the Rule’s really had me scratching my head.
2006 Arima SeaHunter
2014 Suzuki 60 HP
2018 Suzuki 6 HP

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Our hulls are so thin there’s no way to insert a screw to hold them.   I like the horizontal pumps and the hose hold them in place with no screws.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle