News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima Operation Procedures?

Started by hurstian, August 14, 2020, 03:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurstian

Just bought a 2000 Sea legend, I am excited, but also a bit worried. I haven't done boating since 1999. So I write down what I think is the proper steps for each outing. I'm sure I've missed steps. Please let me now.

Thanks for your help!

boat operating steps:

Start boating:
1. board all passengers.
2. turn battery switch on
3. lower main engine to water.
4. start engine
5. idle for a minute or so
6. untie deck line.
7. back out of slip
8. take in all bumpers

finish boating:
1. put bumpers down
2. park to slip, tie 3 deck ropes to deck.
3. turn off engine
4. up the main engine
5. turn battery switch to off
6. flush main engine with fresh water line.
7. spray boat with fresh water
8. lock/zip cabin
2000 Sea Legend Skip Top
Point Roberts, Washington

Danno

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Fisherdv

And life jackets for all on board, and all required safety gear/items. Remember, safety first. Have fun!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fishgriller

2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

straiteagle

Include in the startup, showing all on board where the life jackets and emergency gear is located (recommend stow all flares, horn, mirror, whistles, etc, in a special box under the helm stool.  check the life jackets and throw device (required), if inflatable life jackets they must be worn when boarding the boat.

Your transom/bait table will most likely be raised before the engine can safely come up- without cushioning along the edge, the top the engine will be scratched.

Turn on and test all electronics prior to leaving the slip.
2005 Sea Legend, 200HP Suzuki,15HP EFI Suzuki

straiteagle

forgot one- run the bilge pumps to empty any rain water.

AP

I always warm up my kicker, when I'm warming up the main.  If, for some reason, your main cuts out while still in a marina, and you can't get it restarted immediately, you are going to want AN engine before you end up hitting another boat or a dock. 

I would rather have the battery switch, electronics, and motor on before everyone boards.  Good to hear others so the safety check and basic explanation to those on board.

hurstian

thank you all for the great advice. When you say "Plug", do you mean engine flush plug?

Here is the updated version.

boat operating procedures:

Start boating:
1. board all passengers
2. check safety gears
3. turn battery switch on
4. check engine plug, lower main engine to water.
5. start engine, start/stop kicker
6. idle for a minute or so
7. untie deck line.
8. back out of slip
9. take in all bumpers

finish boating:
1. put bumpers down
2. park to slip, tie 3 deck ropes to deck.
3. turn off engine
4. remove bait table
5. up the main engine
6. turn battery switch to off
7. flush main engine with fresh water line.
8. spray boat with fresh water
9. lock/zip cabin

Quote from: AP on August 14, 2020, 05:26:29 PM
I always warm up my kicker, when I'm warming up the main.  If, for some reason, your main cuts out while still in a marina, and you can't get it restarted immediately, you are going to want AN engine before you end up hitting another boat or a dock. 

I would rather have the battery switch, electronics, and motor on before everyone boards.  Good to hear others so the safety check and basic explanation to those on board.
2000 Sea Legend Skip Top

Hunter

I'm thinking that all of have our own procedures and should stick with them.    One thing I really like from reading this thread is adding in the idea of priming and warming up the kicker at the dock prior to departure.   Once my kicker is warmed up and running it then re-starts very easily every time I make a move......... all day.   I'm going to add this into my routine.   Thanks.
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Danno

:yeahthat:

I learned that from my difficult to start in the cold Honda kicker. Don't need it now because there's no no need for kickers in So Cal nor does it get that cold.

I meant the drain plug.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

ohmytodd

Quote from: hurstian on August 14, 2020, 05:55:40 PM
thank you all for the great advice. When you say "Plug", do you mean engine flush plug?

No, it's the bilge drain plug, the one that if you forget to put it in, your boat slowly starts sinking at the dock. You're mooring your boat, so you'll only need to remember it a couple times a year, just make sure you remember.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Diablo

I like everyone to know how to start and stop the boat very basic boat safety stuff. What if you are the one in the water. Everyone is instructed to watch for pots, other boats, dead heads. Gives others something to do and it helps. Take it slow....no brakes. Good luck and have fun.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

diodon

What about a radio distress use. :beerchug:
2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

Diablo

Quote from: diodon on August 14, 2020, 07:37:31 PM
What about a radio distress use. :beerchug:

Totally.
That's what young people say.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Zagman

I know you don't have time now, but if you haven't already, I would recommend grabbing a local seamanship class. All these questions would be answered.  Have a great and safe outing in your Sea Legend.  I really like mine.

2006 Sea Legend, 150 Honda  8 Honda
'

hurstian

Zagman, SL also has a bilge pump, right? I am trying to figure out where is the switch.

Quote from: Zagman on August 14, 2020, 08:25:54 PM
I know you don't have time now, but if you haven't already, I would recommend grabbing a local seamanship class. All these questions would be answered.  Have a great and safe outing in your Sea Legend.  I really like mine.

'
2000 Sea Legend Skip Top

BigMac

Quote from: hurstian on August 14, 2020, 08:42:06 PM
Zagman, SL also has a bilge pump, right? I am trying to figure out where is the switch.

'
3 bilge pumps--2 aft and 1 amidships.
Make yourself a checklist for preparing and operating the boat.  If you have a trailer, have a checklist too.  It's very easy to forget something important when just learning (and when you think you know it all).
Second the recommendation to take a seamanship class.

ATGEP

If you use a ramp for launch and recovery your day can be made or broken at the ramp.  I do not allow anyone to "help" me at the ramp.  I check the drain plug, unstrap the stern, take the shock absorber out of the motor, and check the bow strap to make sure it is connected securely.

Do not ever unstrap the bow until the boat has enough water to float under the stern.  Many boats roll off the trailer at the ramp because people unhook the bow while prepping the boat for launch. Again, dont let anyone help or you may get more than you bargained for.

It is great to go to the ramp a few times mid-week to get your pace down.

hurstian

I took the required washington state boater education course, but it's an online course. Is it the same as "seamanship" class? I live in point Roberts, Washington which is far away from mainland.

'
2000 Sea Legend Skip Top

Kimbrey

Quote from: straiteagle on August 14, 2020, 04:28:16 PM
forgot one- run the bilge pumps to empty any rain water.
The SL is self bailing so he probably won't have rainwater collection.  That being said I've always checked bilges as a morning routine self bail or not.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Mooch

I'd also suggest that first few times going out to familiarize yourself with your new boat and it's handling, finding an uncrowded launch where you can really take your time without feeling pressured.  Also strongly recommend a time and place where there is NO wind and there is a a launch dock where you can practice landing, tying up, casting off and maneuvering boat at slow speeds in tight quarters.  Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Zagman

Hurstian, I found one bilge pump aft and one amidships on my SL. To answer your question, the switches for these pumps should be on the dash with all the other bazillion switches. Just find them, flip them on and off and if need be have someone listen for the hum.  That way you can identify which pump is running. By the way, I put my drain plug in after I hook up the boat and before I even leave the RV area where it is parked. After 64 yrs of boating I have learned this the hard way several times. And I would bet my SS check everyone on this forum has forgotten the plug at least once.  Now if I could only figure out how to put a picture on this thread I would show you the switches and my SL.

2006 Sea Legend  150 Honda (slightly underpowered)  8hp Honda

Mooch

Always check engine pee stream after you start your engine.  I tend to check periodically throughout the day as well.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

straiteagle

Quote from: hurstian on August 14, 2020, 08:42:06 PM

My 2005 SL has 3 bilge pumps- one forward and 2 rear, outlet for the forward pump is on the starboard side- look for hole in the hull with a through hull fitting, the rear pump outlets are on either side for the sponsons- again a through hull fitting.  The control switches are on the main switch panel at the helm below the steering wheel- I have the 9-switch panel- 3 for electronics, 2 wipers, 2 for the bilge pumps (rear switch is both), running/anchor lights, horn.

The sl has self bailing but depending on the pitch of the boat- you can get rain water in the bilge.  a forward pitch allows the water to run towards the bow vs. out the scuppers.

Zagman

Hurstain, here is a pic of my switch panel. 9 active switches and 9 spots to add switches. You can see the bilge pump switches. Hope this pic gets posted...  I better check again...I may have two aft bilge pumps also...