Author Topic: Smoking Salmon on a Traeger  (Read 155 times)

Offline Holokai

Smoking Salmon on a Traeger
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
Anyone here smoke salmon on the Traeger?  Can you share how you did it and what temp settings were used?

Offline Hunter

Re: Smoking Salmon on a Traeger
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
Yep..... works great.   I just use a large cookie sheet lined with foil for easy clean-up.....and then I have a stainless rack with legs to keep the fish a bit elevated so the heat and smoke can circulate.  Spray the rack with some cooking spray so the fish won't stick.   For my brine I just use Kikkoman Teriyaki and brine refrigerated overnight..  Rinse well with cold water, pat dry with paper towels,  then place on rack skin side down and put a fan on it to get a bit of glaze.  About an hour on the fan to get the glaze.  Then onto the Treager on lowest temp "smoke" setting and let it go.   Usually about 4-5 hours but that can really depend on the size of your pieces and the outside temp..

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:49:02 PM by Hunter »
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Online Fishgriller

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »
Holocai, I presume you are talking about hot smoking not cold smoking?  My recipe is very similar to Hunter’s.  A good basic brine recipe/ratio that works for virtually all meats is what I call the rule of 3’s, makes it easy to remember: 3TBS of kosher salt and  3TBS of brown sugars for 3 cups of water.  First cup is hot water to dissolve salt and sugar faster.  Multiply up or down to get the volume you want.  You can add flavorings of your choice to this.  I usually add 10-20 whole peppercorns, 3-4 whole allspice berries, 2-4 cloves and 1 small cinnamon stick.  Often a drop or two sesame oil can really boost up flavor, it is a very strong flavor, so less is more.  If you are adding soy sauce or other salty liquid, decrease the kosher salt accordingly. The flavorings are up to you, just remember that salt is the only seasoning that will penetrate deep, everything else is at the surface.   After brining, rinse off but do not blot dry (air dry is much better) there are denatured proteins on the surface that will solidify as you cook, and if all goes well, will form a pellicle that will give thanks salmon improved texture at the surface. If you like sweet glaze, add it towards the end as it will create a barrier to smoke.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Offline Peddler

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »
I’ve smoked salmon on my Traeger, and according to my dad it was “The best he’s ever had!” I used a recipe called “Smoked Candy,” I’ll try to remember to look for it, and post it.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle