News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Securing your truck when solo launching

Started by AJFishin, July 18, 2020, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

I came across this video I thought was interesting and decided to pass it along.
It's another way to secure your truck when doing solo launches. I've never heard of the tool the guy uses, a pedal depressor, seems better then the tire chalk I use.
For less then $40 it might be worth it.

https://youtu.be/LpiPQgjqoHw
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Well I never thought of that. Thanks for posting.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Wiley

Never gave it a thought before but yup sparks memories of sliding on hyacinth at our local ramp pulling out..
thanks for sharing. 👍🏻
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Peddler

Interesting. Since I'd be using it only in "My" truck, I could probably make something out of scrap wood I've got laying around. It wouldn't need to be adjustable. Just the right length 2x2, with another, shorter piece "T'd" at the end.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Wiley

Quote from: Peddler on July 18, 2020, 12:35:52 PM
Interesting. Since I'd be using it only in "My" truck, I could probably make something out of scrap wood I've got laying around. It wouldn't need to be adjustable. Just the right length 2x2, with another, shorter piece "T'd" at the end.

Actually I was thinking of a wood dowel and a piece of plywood. Rill hole a little oversized of dole and it should work the same.
10' Don Hill Pram

Hunter

Interesting idea......and certainly can't hurt.... But  I actually think it is overkill.   For me personally, putting my truck tranny in park and applying the e-brake fully has worked just fine for the past  50 years so I'll just stick with my routine and sleep well..       
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

croaker stroker

The way I launch solo, there is some risk. I back the boat down next to the dock with the winch and safety chain unhooked.

Since I have bunks, the boat stays put on the trailer. I back the trailer until the fenders just go underwater. Then I get out and walk down the dock and jump in the boat. Then I put the motor in reverse and power off the trailer. The only thing keeping my truck from sliding into the water is those back wheels.

The back wheels are locked, but the front wheels can turn freely. If the rear wheels don't hold on the mossy ramp at low tide and I power the boat in reverse, there is a very good chance that I could pull my truck forceful enough to allow those rear wheels to slide. There is not much weight on the rear wheels of my empty pickup.

The front wheels, with the weight of the engine, are on dry land and should be much more secure than just relying on the rear wheels.

Amazon is delivering my Truck Pedal Depressor tomorrow. 😁.  $37

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/truck-pedal-depressor

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 18, 2020, 07:27:01 PM
The way I launch solo, there is some risk. I back the boat down next to the dock with the winch and safety chain unhooked.

Since I have bunks, the boat stays put on the trailer. I back the trailer until the fenders just go underwater. Then I get out and walk down the dock and jump in the boat. Then I put the motor in reverse and power off the trailer. The only thing keeping my truck from sliding into the water is those back wheels.

The back wheels are locked, but the front wheels can turn freely. If the rear wheels don't hold on the mossy ramp at low tide and I power the boat in reverse, there is a very good chance that I could pull my truck forceful enough to allow those rear wheels to slide. There is not much weight on the rear wheels of my empty pickup.

The front wheels, with the weight of the engine, are on dry land and should be much more secure than just relying on the rear wheels.

Amazon is delivering my Truck Pedal Depressor tomorrow. 😁.  $37

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/truck-pedal-depressor

That's almost the same way I launch, but I keep my strap on and climb over the bow and onto the trailer to unhook.

I launch primarily out of South Shore (Queen Mary) and CS I'm pretty sure you know that ramp, it's steep and the tidal surge can be something else.
The concern I have is when that surge comes in, combined with the slick ramp, up goes the boat enough to lift the truck and slide it in the drink.

That's a nice one CS, I'm definitely going to look into get one, light weight and easy to bring along.

Fisherdv

CS, i know you've probably done it many times, but it may not be a good idea to back the boat down with both the strap and safety chain unhooked. You may launch at a different, or steeper ramp not thinking about it. Just my 2c. I just never feel comfortable backing without the boat still strapped.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Peddler

If you have a true 4x4, the front wheels will be "locked" when the transmission is in "Park." Combined with the parking brake, chances are slim she'd slide. - I do see this brake lock device as being a good idea for guys who still have a truck with a manual transmission.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Danno

Do. Have to be in 4 wheel drive mode to get all four wheels to lock up?
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Fisherdv

Quote from: Danno on July 18, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
Do. Have to be in 4 wheel drive mode to get all four wheels to lock up?
Yes, unless you have all-wheel or fulltime 4 wheel drive.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on July 18, 2020, 08:20:34 PM
CS, i know you've probably done it many times, but it may not be a good idea to back the boat down with both the strap and safety chain unhooked. You may launch at a different, or steeper ramp not thinking about it. Just my 2c. I just never feel comfortable backing without the boat still strapped.

I back it down into the water with the bow out of the water before removing the safety chain. Then back it all the way in. I'm getting too old to climb over the bow.

Danno and I have been practicing Solo launches.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 18, 2020, 09:54:00 PMI back it down into the water with the bow out of the water before removing the safety chain. Then back it all the way in.

That's exactly what I do.   Don't even need to get my feet wet on the launch.   I since it's just the push of a button, I also always have 4 wheel drive engaged at the ramp..   
All Garmin Electronics

Wiley

I've gone to the drotto release system. It took a few launches to get it set but sure like it now... just haven't been able to use as much as I would like...
back her into the water while fully latched. Get in boat, fire up, pull rope, tie off to dock... retrieve is, drive onto trailer until you hear the latch click and all good...
However my truck is in 4x4 when I do it...
10' Don Hill Pram

Salmon Hobo

I launch solo at a concrete launch at a beach with beach gravel on either side.  I unhook all boat straps at the top of the launch..but keep the safety chain on. I then tie my bow line of the boat to the post of the trailer winch.  I back up and get the trailer in the water get out and unhook the safety chain. I then reverse the tap the brakes hard and the boat slowly drifts out . I then slowly driver the truck and trailer 1/2 way up the launch.  Get out untie the bowline from the trailer and pull the boat  up on the beach about 4 feet beside the launch. Park the truck and go fishing.  I alway drive my boat on the trailer when I pull the boat. Upright trailer posts really help when there is side-winds. I have always found 4x4 and good working e brake are fine.  I would mention that it is old-school safety practice at the boat launch to roll your windows down.... This was more common in the 1970's when old e brakes were not as good.  But yes keep your windows down..and if ever a failure and you truck went into the water you can get out safely. A local guy in this 70's lost his 2 pet dogs at the boat launch about 5 years ago...truck slipped down the launch....he got out but pets did not make it out the window.

AJFishin

Here's a picture of the ramp I launch from, it doesn't give it justice on how steep it is, but having your boat unstrapped here is asking for it.
This is in the summer:

Winter after a good storm and everything is flushed down the LA river :facepalm:

Danno

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

Wow!  The LA River?   Looks like quite a bit a trash mixed-in there.   Never seen anything quite like that.  To hell with the brake thing......I'd put blocks under my rear wheels.   

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

One thing I'll toss out there that's kinda related to this issue......  For those that have bunk trailers there is definitely a tendency to feel like it's safe to back down without the safety chain hooked up... 

But..... we have a kick-ass diesel heater in the boat and so we do a lot of winter crabbing in December.  In temps below freezing, those wet bunks can freeze and your boat can slide right off those bunks if you hit a bump of his the brakes...   Just say'n......  Best to take the extra 15 seconds it takes to keep the safety chain on at least until the trailer wheels are submerged.....just in case... 
All Garmin Electronics

AJFishin

Quote from: Danno on July 19, 2020, 12:17:38 PM
Where's that at AJ?

The boat launch is near the Queen Mary.
Technically the ramp was closed that day, that's what the sign said :jester: Only one side was open which was cleared out by other fishermen.
It's a great facility year round till the big rains come and then that spot looks like that till the city of Long Beach gets out there and cleans it up.

Tesoro

I solo launch all the time. On a steep ramp when tide is out also. Back into water with boat not floating and then unhook boat and tie the bow line to the winch post. Then back in truck,  float the boat drive forward till bow line tight and then hit the gas for a sec and then the brakes. This jerks the boat forward so it lands on the bunks a bit and gets stuck. then get out and untie bow line and hop on dock with bow line in hand. stern line is looped on rail behind cabin. grab the stern line with other hand and pull boat off bunks and tie it up. easy thing.

not sure why that guy needs the brake lock with an auto. The front tires don't have much grab at incline and the hand brake locks the back tires as does park mode. If the truck is gonna slide back it will do it when you stop before getting out.
2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

AJFishin

Quote from: Tesoro on July 19, 2020, 06:08:07 PM
I solo launch all the time. On a steep ramp when tide is out also. Back into water with boat not floating and then unhook boat and tie the bow line to the winch post. Then back in truck,  float the boat drive forward till bow line tight and then hit the gas for a sec and then the brakes. This jerks the boat forward so it lands on the bunks a bit and gets stuck. then get out and untie bow line and hop on dock with bow line in hand. stern line is looped on rail behind cabin. grab the stern line with other hand and pull boat off bunks and tie it up. easy thing.

not sure why that guy needs the brake lock with an auto. The front tires don't have much grab at incline and the hand brake locks the back tires as does park mode. If the truck is gonna slide back it will do it when you stop before getting out.

I had a 05' Nissan Titan and the E brakes in those trucks are weak and once loose and momentum takes over, it could easily pop it out of park.
The parking brake does lock the rear brakes, but it does not exert as much force in braking as the front brakes do, so 4 wheels locked is better then 2.
It's insurance, rather have it and not need it, then wish I had it.