Author Topic: Portland boat show and Sportcraft report  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Threeweight

Portland boat show and Sportcraft report
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
My wife and I went to the boat show Friday night before dinner... there were no glass fishing boats to speak of (maybe a small Whaler or two), but the aluminum builders were there in force.  My wife is in love with the New Zealand-made Stabi-Crafts that a dealer from Coos Bay brought up... very neat offshore boats.  HUGE pilot house, beautiful welds (I liked that part), diesel cabin heater with heater ducts and vents (including a windshield defroster-her favorite part), foam-filled ring around them for positive buoyancy and stability in rough water.  Only problem is, think of the $$ for the most tricked out mega-expensive Arima 22 you can imagine... then add $20,000-$30,000 to the price tag, then you have the cost of a 22.5' Stabi-Craft.

There was a beautiful 24' North River Seahawk pilothouse that she also liked a lot.  The North Rivers I saw at the show last year were not up to the quality standards they built their reputation on (rough welds, compartment lid/frames that were not quite square, etc...)  Happy to say that the boats I looked at this go round were all very well made.

Sadly, not a single Arima.

However... I got suckered into going shopping with her Saturday, and I managed to leverage that into a trip to Sportcraft Marine (Portland's "new" Arima dealer) to show her the 22 and 21' Arima's while the other boats were fresh in her mind.  Smart girl.  She now wants a 22' Arima for our future boat upgrade.

Sportcraft used to be down on the Willamette just below the 205 bridge, but they relocated to Milwaukie a year or two ago.  They sold C-Dories and Sea Sports for years and years (along with Honda and Suzuki motors).  According to the owner, they tried for years to get an Arima dealership but were turned down (apparently, Arima wanted to protect that little place down south of Oregon City and the Powersports guys up in Camas.)  Arima apparently changed their minds last year, and approached Sportcraft.  Was a nice, low pressure experience talking with them.  I think the attitude of the dealership will fit well with the Arima brand (they invited us back into the shop where the Sea Legend was still being wired and fitted with her motors, and chewed the fat for a while about boats while we climbed all over it).

They appear to have jumped into Arima's with both feet.  Four brand new boats on site now (a 22 Sea Legend hard top with a Suzi 175, a 21' Sea Ranger skip tower (I think it had a Honda 140), a 19' Sea Ranger skip tower, and a 17' Chaser soft top.  All the remaining new C-Dorys have be relegated to the yard.  They look kind of sad sitting out there in the rain.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Portland boat show and Sportcraft report
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
So you are heading for a 22 footer?  No 2 footitis for you ...   Might as well start out with 5 footitis. 

Let's see, a 22 will require more than your present Toyota to haul it, probably a one ton Dually Diesel  ($50K +/-)  (Besure to get it 4 door so we won't have to drive our rigs to go with you), ..... your drive way is not long enough to park it so a new house, with a boat shed, will be in order, and of course you will want to moor it during the busy fishing times, i.e., springers, B10, Tuna, Halibut .....

So tell us 3 wt,  will you be able to keep up your posts when you start your second job?   (can't get the emoticon to copy so pick one you like)  It's a good thing you will buying new as you would not have time to work on it.

The usual band of culprits, me, Woody, Dan, & BigMac, will be more than happy to keep it warmed up and underway while you are working to pay for it.  Maybe even let you join us so you can catch up on your sleep, and bring grub, and libations, and fuel it, and buy bait ..... (choose another emoticon)

If you pay me up front, I'll get Woody to give you the winning lottery numbers like he did for me.

'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
I am holding out for one of those east-coast miracle deals (like that 22' with the skip tower that went for $14,000 last year).

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline woody

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
3Wgt

I've got a new Diesel, so you can go to your 2nd job and not have to buy a tow vehicle.  Same size as my old, but 250 Diesel 8', extended cab like you sat in before.  Russ and I will be upfront on the one or two days you aren't working one of your jobs and you get the back.

Woody

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »
I think my little Tundra can tow that sucker... I'll just have to strap Russ and Woody to the hood, to balance out the weight on the suspension.  If I have you guys facing forwards, you can also help blog the bugs from hitting the windshield.

More seriously, I think Arima rates the 22 as #4200 on the trailer (boat w/ engine).  Figure with fuel and gear, an even 5,000 pounds.

My old Tundra is rated by Toyota at 7,000 (likely wildly optimistic), but I'd think a true 1/2 ton truck would have no problems with it.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BigMac

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
3Wgt

Hope I'm not in anyway responsible or being blamed by your wife for your lusting after the 22'.  You seemed to enjoy our non-productive fishing trip last springer season, but didn't realize you were so smitten.

The weight of my 22' HT, 50 gallons gas with very little equipment on board, and trailer (the trailer itself weighs 1,400#) is a bit over 6k#.  That came as quite a shock and explained why towing with my Explorer was so scary.  If you are talking about the non-HT it should be somewhat less, but have no info on that.

There was some discussion about the boat weight the factory quoted on the other board. One guy was quite upset because he had to buy a bigger tow rig as he had used the factory figures and after purchase found out it weighed a lot more.

Now that I have a new (used) tow rig (09 Expedition) that works very well by the way, I intend to reweigh the  whole set up as there has been a lot of equipment added since the previous weighing. 

Dave

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
Dave, your boat did get me to thinking last year...  

But any upgrade for us is likely a few years off.  My wife wants a nice dry hard top and something big enough to entertain family on the when they come visit.

Were we to get a 22', I'd likely swap our truck for an older (200-2004 or so) Dodge or GM diesel.  It will be interesting to see how those new Ford F150's with the turbocharged v6's hold up, 23 mpg highway and 11,300# tow rating is pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:09:14 AM by Threeweight »

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
3 wt 

Woody, and the rest of the gang, has all ready taken care of that for you.  We'll haul it around, and use it, while you are slaving away on that second job to afford the new boat and house to keep it in. 

How quickly your memory seems to be fading.  :facepalm:   I thought that was reserved for us old farts.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'