News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Cigarette lighter fuse

Started by MEaston17, June 28, 2020, 02:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEaston17

Hey, new Arima owner here.  My cigarette lighter is now working on my 21' Sea Ranger, assuming its a blown fuse.  Can anyone tell me where the fuse box is and maybe which fuse it is?  Thanks in advance....

MEaston17

Danno

Depending on how much your Arima has been modified by the previous owner(s), It could be anywhere but the typical Arima install includes just one small fuse block. The lighter could be connected anywhere on it and may be connected to the positive supply if it has an inline fuse.

Here's a picture of my SC which shows the fuse box behind the starboard helm panel.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

ohmytodd

Quote from: MEaston17 on June 28, 2020, 02:23:50 PM
Hey, new Arima owner here.  My cigarette lighter is now working on my 21' Sea Ranger, assuming its a blown fuse.  Can anyone tell me where the fuse box is and maybe which fuse it is?  Thanks in advance....

You'll likely find the fusebox under the helm inside the cabin, on my 19 there's a panel that covers it that you need to lift out. Like Danno said, there's no telling what level of macgyvering may have been done, but it it's vintage factory it's likely glass fuses in a small block. Then again, who knows?? My lighter was daisy chained to a few other accessories before terminating in an empty fuse slot :shrug9: You'll need to get in there and figure it out the old fashioned way), which is a great way to know your boat. Electrical upgrades/rewires are among the most popular new arima owner projects. Best to be done before they really need it, and if you get to that point you'll get lots of pointers here.

Have fun hunting down the gremlin and welcome to the family!
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

MEaston17

Thanks very much for the info gentlemen. Very helpful and much appreciated.  I did find the fuse box, replaced one blown fuse (all others were fine,) but cigarette lighter still not working.  If not the fuse, then what?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance
Electrically Challenged,
Mike

Hunter

You'll probably need to work your way backwards from the power source to the lighter socket to isolate where the issue is..    I see that your message says "Electrically Challenged" but if you don't already have a basic tester.... I'd start there as it is a tool that you'll use more often as you get to know your boat better.   I'm a basic nitwit when it comes to electronics but have used one of these from Amazon and it's worked for years.

https://www.amazon.com/WeePro-Vpro850L-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Continuity/dp/B07VHC1NMC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=basic+electrical+tester&qid=1593544802&sr=8-5

I'd start at the fuseblock and see if you have power at the selected fuse where the lighter is currently wired.   If you have power there then you'll know that the issue is either the wires or the accessory socket itself. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

DevMah

Quote from: Hunter on June 30, 2020, 12:27:35 PM
You'll probably need to work your way backwards from the power source to the lighter socket to isolate where the issue is..    I see that your message says "Electrically Challenged" but if you don't already have a basic tester.... I'd start there as it is a tool that you'll use more often as you get to know your boat better.   I'm a basic nitwit when it comes to electronics but have used one of these from Amazon and it's worked for years.

https://www.amazon.com/WeePro-Vpro850L-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Continuity/dp/B07VHC1NMC/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=basic+electrical+tester&qid=1593544802&sr=8-5

I'd start at the fuseblock and see if you have power at the selected fuse where the lighter is currently wired.   If you have power there then you'll know that the issue is either the wires or the accessory socket itself.

Hunter is sending you down the right path, if you are electrically challenged then a simple 12V test light can do the trick.

Attach one end to the battery negative the other end to the lighter trace the wires back testing every time you get to a connection . The lamp will  light if you have power present.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Koopa253

Quote from: MEaston17 on June 28, 2020, 02:23:50 PM

For my cigarette lighter to work, whatever I plug in the barbs need to be lined up with the barbs inside the lighter. So when I plug something in, I have to turn it until the barbs align and then it will power on. Also, not sure if the engine needs to be running or not.
2006 Arima SeaHunter
2014 Suzuki 60 HP
2018 Suzuki 6 HP

Hunter

Sounds to me like you just need to replace your 12v accessories female receptacle.    Not sure what accessory you are putting into the socket ......but I just have a double USB for charging phones, Ipad, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVPower-Adapter-iSmart-Compatible/dp/B071FHZRQN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3DI7PU4FF02EP&dchild=1&keywords=12v+cigarette+lighter+usb+socket&qid=1593703004&sprefix=12v+cigaraett+lighter+usb%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-3
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Dakar

My question is why did the fuse blow?  I had the same issue and cigarette lighters are famous for corrosion which eventually shorts it out. Not only will it short out your lighter fuse but it will may drain the battery WHILE YOU SLEEP!   :jester: My suggestion is to replace the lighter with a double socket USB port. It will have it's own inline fuse. Lots to choose from on the internet.
1990 17' Sea Chaser

Fair winds and following seas!

AJFishin

I agree with Hunter, just replace it.

I had what I think was the original lighter, a aluminum style one, and the only thing that worked was the light in the handle.
I replaced it and overall did a upgraded adding a whole new panel with a rocker switch, a double USB port, 12V port, and a volt meter, since I have a Bluetooth speaker that needs a USB and my flood light needs a 12V socket.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser