Author Topic: Trailer Backing  (Read 2297 times)

Offline woody

Trailer Backing
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:18 AM »
I recently switched to an F150 short box from my F250 8' bed.

Wow, backing up is a breeze.  Straight, turns, the whole enchilada, what an improvement.  Review mirrors on the 250 were tow mirrors, much superior then the 150, but don't need the big ones as much now.  Who'd thought it would make that much of a difference?

Woody

Offline GoodDays

Re: Trailer Backing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
I am contemplating a similar switch of tow vehicles... The old F 250 is on its last legs... Do you notice much "negative "difference in the towing ?

GoodDays Greg

Offline woody

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
Biggest negative is at the gas pump.  With better milage over the 250 Diesel and lower cost of gas over diesel I just can't reward the gas companies as much.  Pulls my Arima with no problems.  Boat and trailer wet is way under my towing capacity.  Take a look at the 150 super crew,  a 6"5" man in the back seat doesn't touch the front seat. Puts other crew cabs to shame.

Woodt

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
Woody, what engine did you get in the F150?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline finfinn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
Woody - good luck for your new truck. Keep us posted. I may need to replace mine - in about 15 years :jester:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline woody

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »
3Wgt

Steve, went with 5.0L, SuperCrew with 157" wheelbase, 6 speed 4x4 with 3.73 rear auto. Tow/Haul and SelectShift (put in M and go up and down gears by button), rear buzzer and camera, ControlTrac 4WD system, a locking rear differential and anti sway system.

It's only been a couple of years between trucks but WOW, the goodies that are on it.

This is the first time in my life I traded/sold my old truck (09 250 4x4 Diesel) for more then I paid for it.  Paid $30,000 and sold $33,000.  Of course we both know that by the tme we finished they still put the screws to me.  

Oh well, I like it and now am having trouble keeping it away from Jean.  "It's my turn to drive ... take to work ... etc."

Advertised at 14 and 19mph, but every time you say that Ford's Adman's nose grows.

Woody

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
I like those new F150's as well... be curious what kind of MPG you get with it broke in.  When Katherine and I were debating a truck upgrade last summer, we looked at them (w/ the "Ecoboost" turbocharged v6).  Forget which trim model we looked at, but she loved the dashboard computer and gadgets.  With the max payload option they could handle a light camper while towing an Arima.

Will be interested in hearing what kind of MPG you get when it is broken in.  I have read several reviews where folks thought Ford might have "sand bagged" a bit on the 5.0 motor in order to hype the Eco-boost more.  Similar fuel economy, similar power, less complicated engine for less $$!

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
Although I'll admit that the Ford F150 has held the spotlight for trucks for years, Im a Dodge man.  I've had the Dodge 2500, 3500 dually, and now a 2012 1500 quad cab.  You can say what you want about the Ford, but the 5.7 liter hemi engine in the Dodge and their change from leaf to coil springs int he back has had some great improvements.   For a half ton, they're rated for 10,500 pounds of towing, have a "Tow and Haul" switch to put it in a lower gear and wont' let it kick into overdrive and lug it....and a lot of interior and exterior improvements.

I'm pleased and well satisfied.  Lots of room, put a camper shell on it...it hauls my Arima like it isn't even there...Ford has a great reputation, but take the new Dodge 5.7 liter hemi out for a spin.... Oh yeah....on the road I get up to 21 mpg if I stay out of the accelerator pedal.  Around town...14....towing the boat....11 to 12.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:59:49 PM by Chuck Jones »
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

So.Cali

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
I got a 2000 F-150 that gets about the same stats. The dodges are nice, but I don't fit in them as good as I like. I own six fords, and they are all awesome in their own way.

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »
SoCali:  SIX FORDS???  How many can you drive at one time?  Do you own a garage or what?...or do I seem to recall that you drive a gas truck?  Were you the driver in that one that caught fire down in Southern California?
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

So.Cali

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm the one who had the truck BBQ. I don't own garage, just got projects. Two are daily drivers, two were daily drivers that require some attention to be road worthy again, and I get attached to them. And one was supposed to be a quick fix r upper, but we came to like it. (59 F-100 4X4) it's got personality. Another one kinda needed a home, and my buddy needed out of his name, so I adopted it. Another friend is gonna resurrect it.
Here they are:
2010 Fusion
2000 F-150
1971 F-250
1968 F-100
1965 Falcon
1959 F-100 4X4
There's another list of the ones I've had to let go, but that's another story.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
Isn't it funny how you can get attached to a truck/car?  Should we do a post on what was the truck/car that you had the most affection for????
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
We don't change vehicles very often but as far as trucks I'm working on my third Chevy.  Chevy all the way.  I ended up with this one to support the weight.  Probably should be using a dually but it seems to handle it even on the curvy roads to Neah Bay and Sekiu.  Kind of a trick backing down the ramp with the camper on but it works.  I need to figure out a camera on the camper.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

So.Cali

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »
Isn't it funny how you can get attached to a truck/car?  Should we do a post on what was the truck/car that you had the most affection for????

NO!!! It would take me all day to post on that one. I don't have that kind of time. :hoboy:

Offline finfinn

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
Kimbrey - when you figure out how to get a back-up camera on the camper let me know :stooges: :1zhelp:
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
Kimbrey - when you figure out how to get a back-up camera on the camper let me know :stooges: :1zhelp:
There might be a way.  At least with my rig.  I do have a back up camera in the tailgate that shows on the navigation system.  Want to talk about easy backing up to hook the trailer up.  When I put the camper on I have to take the tail gate off.  The cameras pigtail is unplugged.  All I need to do is find another camera with a loner pigtail that can be installed on the camper and plugged into the system.  Fin you jogged my memory as I had found some outfit in California that could supply me the camera.  Forgot all about that.  Now all I have to do is find the web site again.

So.Cali

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
 :yeahthat:   Google! (jazz hands)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
How about a wireless back up camera with Bluetooth?

http://www.etrailer.com/Electronics/Master-Lock/4843DAT.html?feed=npn

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline woody

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »
The one I have could easily be mounted on the license plate or with very little brain power, high on the camper back.

$179 and added benefit of GPS, Blue tooth to your phone, etc.  Beam down slightly like on a big motor home and you have tons of coverage. Navs Go! system. (Search NAVs Go!).  I hard wired my camera because of past experences but wireless is offered.

Woody

Just checked, the unit I have is now $129.  This unit is a 6" 800x480 pixel screen, 12MB SD RAM, 48 Satellite channels, Preloaded maps with voice turns, handsfree blue tooth with phone through its speaker or FM through your car speakers, Windows CE6.0 and 16GB SDHC compatable.  MP3, MP4, text-speech.

Backup camera alone that I've used before is $78.

Woody
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:50:28 PM by woody »

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »
Kimbrey....your camper/boat reminded me about one Winter when borrowing an old Dodge 28ft RV and I attached my 12 Ft Gregor alum 'n trailer. We overnighted on an old abandoned one-lane steep road that disappeared into a lake. Everybody kept rolling out of bed all night. I couldn't see the boat/trailer when backing down the road to launch so my 9 year old son stood on the back of the trailer with his arm held high for me to see thru the rear window. The whole family stood by giving me directions and telling me to stop. Impossible....I am a man and I could tell I was right on the money with that launch.
As it turned out, I got out of the RV to find that my son was still standing on the back of the trailer, up to his neck in the frigid water. Good kid...always followed my directions....but doesn't listen to me anymore.....he's an engineer now. Respectfully submitted, John W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
Kimbrey....your camper/boat reminded me about one Winter when borrowing an old Dodge 28ft RV and I attached my 12 Ft Gregor alum 'n trailer. We overnighted on an old abandoned one-lane steep road that disappeared into a lake. Everybody kept rolling out of bed all night. I couldn't see the boat/trailer when backing down the road to launch so my 9 year old son stood on the back of the trailer with his arm held high for me to see thru the rear window. The whole family stood by giving me directions and telling me to stop. Impossible....I am a man and I could tell I was right on the money with that launch.
As it turned out, I got out of the RV to find that my son was still standing on the back of the trailer, up to his neck in the frigid water. Good kid...always followed my directions....but doesn't listen to me anymore.....he's an engineer now. Respectfully submitted, John W
Funny story :jester: :jester:
I can kind of sort of see the boat with the camper on the truck.  The trailer guides ons show up in the mirror when I do a slight turn.  This past trip to Neah Bay my fishing partner drove his truck up which was my old one.  We used it for the launching and retrieving.  Almost looked like we knew what we were doing.....almost.

Offline Peddler

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »

Funny story :jester: :jester:
I can kind of sort of see the boat with the camper on the truck.  The trailer guides ons show up in the mirror when I do a slight turn.  This past trip to Neah Bay my fishing partner drove his truck up which was my old one.  We used it for the launching and retrieving.  Almost looked like we knew what we were doing.....almost.

Is it ill-advised to sleep in the camper if it's not loaded onto the truck?  Is there any chance it'd tip-forward if two people were in the cab-over bunk?

I suppose it's easier to launch with the camper on the truck vs unhitching the boat, unloading the camper, re-hitching the boat, then launching.  All to retrieve, unhitch, load camper, and re-hitch for the trip home.
Wishin' I was Fishin'