News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Steering cable part

Started by Haoleyboy, June 04, 2020, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haoleyboy

I have a 2003 SR 19HT and the steering cable broke. It seems that year they had put a anodized cylinder for the cable and its corroded
Can someone  direct me to the stainless steel model and the length I'll need. I believe it 204" but I wanna make sure. Also do you know if the motor has to come off?
Thanks for any help!

Danno

If you buy another cable system, you'll likely be replacing it in a few years again. Go Baystar hydraulic.  A little more money now (~$200) will pay of for the life of you Arima in a much better steering experience, dependability, resale value, and maneuverability.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Haoleyboy

Do you have that system now? And how long have you had it?

GregE

HB  I just took off a 19' steering cable when I move the steering location and needed a longer one.  It is available- Near Olympia WA

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=18394.0

G
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Fisherdv

Here's a link to hose and cable lengths. But I agree with Danno, for a little more money, go with hydraulic steering. The Baystar system is for motors 150hp or less, Seastar system for over 150hp. I have it on my 16SC. Very nice.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=14121.0
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Danno

I replaced my stiff cable steering a few months ago. It's the best upgrade I've done on either of my Arimas. Driving my 2015, which only had three years of use, was difficult at best. I was building good arm muscles trying to keep it going in the direction I wanted but I was getting to the point where I didn't look forward to taking the boat out. 

The kit is about $450 but I upgraded to SeaStar hoses because they're a bit more flexible. I sold the Baystar hoses for $50 so that upgrade was another net $50. In the end, I think it was worth it but not necessary.

Most new Arimas come with hydraulic steering. My SC was the Fish On model so they scrimped on a number of items like the steering, cuddy cushions, hatch and a few other things to bring the price down.

The biggest hassles on the install was cutting through the old cable to remove it from the outboard and drilling out the helm for the steering cylinder. For the latter I screwed a square of 1" x 4" behind the dash which gave me a platform to use the hole saw's center bit to guide the large diameter hole. Scary but easy.

Purging the hydraulic lines needs a partner so I took it to Croakers house and drank all his beer. There's an easier way to purge if you buy a 3/8" plastic tubing Y and enough hose to reach the helm. If you decide to make the upgrade, let us know and I'll walk you through it. It eliminates the need for the second person but then you'll need to buy your own beer.

ohmytodd

@Danno, where did you find the kit for $450?  I'm only seeing them north of $625 and it goes up from there depending on who has it. If I can find one for less than $500 that's an expense that won't require pre-approval from finance ;)

I'm always worried about my cable breaking trying to push that big 150 around.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Danno

Quote from: ohmytodd on June 04, 2020, 08:56:52 AM
@Danno, where did you find the kit for $450?  I'm only seeing them north of $625 and it goes up from there depending on who has it. If I can find one for less than $500 that's an expense that won't require pre-approval from finance ;)

I'm always worried about my cable breaking trying to push that big 150 around.

Damn. That was my bad. I paid $563. When I wrote the post I just did a quick search and saw the $450 price but now that I look at that closer, that's for some other brand's knockoff that uses the same HK4200A3 part number for the Honda outboard (115-150hp). Very deceptive. I'll correct my post.

It's up from the p[rice I paid just after Xmas. Best current price I see is $630 from Defender https://www.defender.com/product.jspid=201457. Probably up due to the cost of products from China seeing increases.

I apologize for the massive error. Still worth it in my opinion.

Haoleyboy

Great info!
And it looks like I'm gonna go hydros.
And I will have plenty of beer available too, just let me know what kind!

Danno

There are a number of brands I've never heard of. Maybe some due diligence and research and one might be worthy. They tend to be about $100 or more cheaper.