News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Air Fryer: Anyone have one?

Started by AJFishin, May 25, 2020, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

I've been looking into these air fryers recently, sound like a better way to eat fried food, and before I get one I wanted to see if anyone has one, what your thoughts are, and any suggestions on which one to get.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

I've thought about getting one too. They make it look so good on TV ads. Curious also to hear peoples thoughts.

Although isn't that what makes fried food so good? All the grease and oil?  :food:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on May 25, 2020, 08:01:15 PM
I've thought about getting one too. They make it look so good on TV ads. Curious also to hear peoples thoughts.

Although isn't that what makes fried food so good? All the grease and oil?  :food:

Yeah the more I watch these videos and people saying they're great, it's got me curious about them. :food:

I'm guessing deep fried butter won't be the same :jester:

mijo

We have one. It's a cuisinart and looks like a toaster oven.  We have air fried raw chicken wings, fish, French fries from scratch and they are really good. The fish was fried without batter. I was surprised how good the fries and chicken wings turned out. We have also reheated precooked frozen fish sticks, French fries, etc and they are really crispy.  We use it 2-3 times a week.  It doesn't make the whole house smell like when you deep fry foods. Also I'm amazed by the amount of oil that comes from certain foods.  In the air fryer the grease drips out of your food.
Sea Chaser 19SC, 115 Yamaha

Markshoreline

Had one, slow to warm up , limited space for food,  uses counter space.   Ow I use  toaster oven with better results.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

headduck

Havent had the new ones but in the 90s they had the circular ones that sold on infomercials.

Things like frys came out good, but they didnt have the real texture of deep fried in grease fries. Good and bad I suppose.

Do the newer versions come closer to replicating the texture of the wonderful but deadly deep fried foods or is this just asking too much?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

mustang65fbk

A coworker of mine has one and won't stop talking about it. I've got an instant pot and like it so far but shortly after I purchased it they came out with a version that has both an instant pot and air fryer option. Wished I'd known that before purchasing my instant pot, oh well.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

ATGEP

We picked up a Phillips xxl. It is basic with no electronics. It is easy to clean and makes very little mess.  So far we have cooked fries, lumpia, veggies, and some chicken. It is not a miracle device but it does a pretty good job and will be used quite often.

StreamFixer

Tried my daughter's.  Very limited quantities of food prepared at a time.  I have a toaster oven on order (daughter works for manufacturer and gets a deep discount), but plan to use it to cure paint on lures.
No counter or cupboard space to store (should have gotten custom cabinets 25 years ago.  So much wasted storage opportunities in angled spaces)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

AJFishin

Thanks for tips and I think I'm going to go with a compact one because of space issues. Sounds like something I would use and like.
:beerchug:

Norcalfish80

My girlfriend got one and I love it. Tastes almost as good as deep fried food, just way healthier.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Ssericz

I have 2

The egg shaped one works better than the toaster oven style.

The egg one is the "as seen on tv" one we received as a Christmas gift and I will say it works really well and couldn't imagine not having it. The other one works good just not as crispy but I like to use it as an oven as it won't heat the whole house up and it can make a pizza in it

AJFishin

After reading your comments and a little researching to find a good all around air fryer that wasn't to big or small, but had a good amount of functions, for decent price, I ended up buying the Nuwave 3 qt. It arrived last night and is the perfect size for us and fits nicely on our counter top.

Today I finally cooked my first food in it, some French fries.  :jester:
The first batch was so so, but the second batch I added 1 tblsp of vegetable oil and cooked them at 400* for 12 minutes and they came out great! :mememe:
Adding that little bit of oil and 2 extra minutes made a difference.

I can see how this can be a healthier way to frying/ cooking foods and like Eric said, it doesn't heat up the house, which is a bonus especially in the summer.

I've only cooked one thing in it, but I can see how I'm going to be using it for so many other foods, the microwave just got some competition  :jester:

Thanks for comments they were helpful ! :beerchug:

tsuribaka

For anyone with a convection oven it will do the same thing as an airfryer and in bigger batches too.

Markshoreline

Quote from: tsuribaka on June 04, 2020, 10:39:15 AM
For anyone with a convection oven it will do the same thing as an airfryer and in bigger batches too.
Agree.  Plus the foods that work best in the air fryer are ones that were par fryed by the manufacturer so they already have been breaded and greased, such as French fries, chicken wings and fried shrimp.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

Quote from: Markshoreline on June 04, 2020, 11:15:32 AM
Quote from: tsuribaka on June 04, 2020, 10:39:15 AM
Agree.  Plus the foods that work best in the air fryer are ones that were par fryed by the manufacturer so they already have been breaded and greased, such as French fries, chicken wings and fried shrimp.

Convection ovens are nice and I've used my brothers which got me considering one, but the main reason for me going with an air fryer was the size. The majority of good ovens are to large and take up a lot of counter and storage space and second I didn't need something that big as I'm the main person that will be using it.

As for preheating it takes my unit 3 minutes, not to long.

AJFishin

Just a little update for anyone interested.
I've used my air fryer a bunch of times and each time I really enjoy using it, the food comes out great.
I will say my favorite is French fries that come out great and the closest comparison I can think of would be In N Out fries😁
I've also made and cooked buttermilk "rotisserie" chicken that came out juicy and had a really good taste. I bought some raw Chicken and pineapple sausage from Costco and cooked them in the fryer, IMO they came out better then on the grill.
I also made some homemade chimichangas, beer batter fresh fish fillets, and of course frozen chicken nuggets for my little one. :jester:

This thing has been great, easy to clean, and the food has been crisp and full of flavor.

Pineapple chicken sausage....

buttermilk "rotisserie" chicken

Bon appétit....

Fisherdv

Looks good  :food: The sausages and chicken have a good crisp on them.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on June 15, 2020, 10:34:08 AM
Looks good  :food: The sausages and chicken have a good crisp on them.

It was pretty good how they came out, it surprised me.

headduck

Breaded rock fish or halibut cheeks?

In-n-out fries....now that's a tall order.

AJFishin

Quote from: headduck on June 15, 2020, 03:22:00 PM
Breaded rock fish or halibut cheeks?

In-n-out fries....now that's a tall order.

Breaded Calico.

It's a tall order, but i tell ya, it's pretty close when cooked right.

headduck