News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New guages ect.

Started by Seattleflyfisher, February 06, 2011, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seattleflyfisher

Going from my ex 1993 2 stroke Yamaha to a 2006 Honda 90 4 stroke. What on earth can I keep. Do I have to change the guages and cables? Not that I would not mind telling my girlfriend that it all has to go and get some nice white guages and new controls.

Threeweight

You may need to replace them all... the Yamaha probably uses old analog gauges. On my 2009 Suzuki, the tach/trim/etc... would not carry over.  I believe Russ/Streamfixer had the same problem when he repowered with his Yamaha.

Suzuki had a good basic multifunction gauge (tach, basic hour meter, with alarms for temp/oil/etc...) that wasn't too expensive.  I went with that plus a trim gauge, then installed a analog hour meter separately.  I just noticed Overton's is having a sale on Faria instrument packages (like $160 or so).  They probably have a package for newer Hondas.  Make sure you get really good instructions, whatever you do.  Just looking at the crazy wiring harness on my Suzi makes my head hurt!

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Jay in Kitsap

I was informed by Boat Country when I repowered that the Tach on the Honda was standard analog, but I bought a slightly used (13 hours to match my engine) white Honda Tach & Hour gauge.  I ended up also buying the built in handle as it gave 2" more room at the helm seat and had them mount it a bit forward of typical.  Using that one there is a Honda engine switch (seen also in the photo) with the lanyard.  It has 2 warning lights and a buzzer built in.  I will get a warning on oil pressure if I don't allow a 5 min period of warmup prior to going over 1,600 RPM.  The light comes on and the engine automatically drops back to 1,600 with the alarm sounding.  I just turn off, restart and do a good warm up so the buzzer doesn't drive me crazy.  So at a minimum you need the Honda switch and the Honda wiring harness.

I believe that Arima has the built in handle.

http://www.arimaboats.com/sr17layout.htm   Arima Sea Ranger 17 interior pics 5

The Suzi has a lot more info for engine diagnostics brought up to its tach & gauge. 
'84 SR17 Restored '10 Honda BF90

Seattleflyfisher

I really like this setup.

Now guages, Do they have to be Honda guages?

Threeweight

Pretty sure that Faria and Teleflex both make gauges that would work (especially if your motor uses analog outputs).  I wouldn't be surprised if Faria and Teleflex make the gauges that Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Mercury, etc... sell.

Here's the link for Faria's Honda diagram for their digital multi-function gauges.  If you can figure it out you are smarter than I am!

http://www.faria-instruments.com/docs/Honda_K-Line-HN0589.pdf
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GoodDays

I think a full set of colour matched Faria's is in order to celebrate the new engine !!! :cha:

GoodDays Greg

Enniberg

Darren,

I have an original Honda tach that was given to me when I had the Honda 90 on our first Arima.

I can't warranty that it works as I have never used it, but if you want to take the risk, it is yours, free!

Johan

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Seattleflyfisher

Hey Johan

I just got the motor mounted tonight and in the next few days I will see what I am going to do with gauges. Thanks, I will get back to you.

Darren