News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

21’ ranger weight

Started by mysealium, March 29, 2020, 09:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysealium

What's the weight of a 21' ranger soft top with 150 Honda and trailer? Thanks

rockknocker

2004 Arima 21 sea ranger teak pilothouse 150hp honda 9.9 honda tr1 garmin hds12 gen 2 4g
Plus 11 other arimas owned in my past

mysealium

Anyone tow the above rig with a F150 3.7 L? Rates for 5500 lbs.

Markshoreline

I towed my fully loaded 21 to Nootka with a 2007 Ridgeline I think it had a 3.4 L v6.  There are long uphills  on Vancouver Island especially over the mountains on the way to Gold River.
It did the job but I didn't pass anyone. The following year I replaced it with a Tundra and the V8 is much more comfortable!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

mustang65fbk

Both the Ford F150 and Honda Ridgeline mentioned have a towing capacity right near the total weight of a 21' SR, especially if it's loaded with a lot of gear and so on.  I'm sure it could be done, especially if you don't have far to go and it's relatively flat drive.  I'd be worried about longevity though for the tow rig if you do it for years and years, especially if you go long distances and have steep terrain to go over.  I'm sure there's probably things you could do like getting aftermarket suspension, air bags and so on that will increase your towing capacity though. 
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

davidsea

I think the weight estimate is low :   Boat, w/steering+ basics, per Arima (I think this number may be low) = 2150 ,   Motor, plus prop, wiring harness, and controls = 550 ,   Fuel = 300,   2 batteries + switching = 125,    Misc. required gear, spares, electronics, trim tabs, etc. = 250,   Galvanized dual axle roller trailer with side bunks and spare tire = 1375     TOTAL TOWED WEIGHT = 4750#    This doesn't include skip top, arch, launchers, radar, riggers, fishing gear, water tank, ice, or beer.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Fisherdv

I agree with Davidsea. Many people thought their boat weighed "X", but when actually weighed ended up being much more. Just because a truck is rated to tow 5500#, I would not want to max it out. There is a formula, or percentage of what can safely be towed per truck manufacturers stated towing capacity, but I don't remember what the equation is. Remember, you have to be able to STOP that weight too.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

Plus I packed all 3 fuel tank full of American gas at 68 gallons!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

davidsea

Just for comparison, my SR19, with NO fishing gear at all, and a 775# single axle trailer scales at 3880#.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Tesoro

Boat manus just like rv manus always put stated weight without most options and much necessary equipment. They want their products to appear to weigh as little as possible due to consumer towing concerns.

On the flip side though, vehicle tow ratings are also understated due to built in safety margins.

I never worry about going uphill like a tortiose but rather going down hill like a hare!

Having good functional brakes on a boat trailer is probably more important than the weight when towing on the cusp. However on a long down grade surge brakes dont help and electric brakes do but dont after they have been given salt water baths!

Please let me know if anyone ever invents a reliable salt water proof braking system.
2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

mustang65fbk

I'm thinking that it's going to be closer to 5,000lbs or more fully loaded. Per the ArimaBoats.com website they don't have the figures for a 21' SR soft top but do have them for the skip and hard tops. They say that the boat, engine and trailer approximate weight for a 21' SR ST is 3,800lbs and a 21' SR HT is 4,000lbs. The keywords there being "approximate weight" as well as "boat, engine, trailer".  Meaning that A. It's an approximate weight and B. It doesn't include the weight of the fuel, fishing gear, downriggers, bait, ice, food and beverages. Even if a 21' SR ST weighed exactly 3,800lbs as they suggest, 48 gallons of fuel alone is 300lbs. So that's "4,100lbs" right there with nothing else in the boat other than the motor and fuel. Even more if you have the saddle tanks as those are another 20 gallons at 6lbs per gallon. So "4,220lbs" still with only just the motor and fuel. Everything else is going to add up as well, especially trailers as some people have aluminum trailers whereas others have a steel trailer. So, every setup is going to be slightly different but it wouldn't surprise me at all if a 21' SR was over 5,000lbs including the weight of the trailer, especially a 21' SR HT when fully weighed down with fuel, gear and so on.

Fisherdv

Add about 100+# for the batteries.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

polarbill1999

You should be fine with any f150 that is somewhat recent. What year, layout, etc.  Does the 3.7 use the same tranny as the ecoboost or 5.0?  What is your rear end config? You may not win any races with the 3.7l but the engine power is t he least important thing to consider (unless you are going to tow very often and over mountain passes).  The platform itself is capable of towing much more than 5000#.

I saw a note earlier in the thread about increasing your tow capacity.  I would be careful with that.  You very well may be able to increase the trucks real world capabilites buyou will never change the documented capacities.  I had to be very careful with this when buying my travel trailer and then the truck I bought.  I bought a 2019 f150 but I was very careful to make sure I understood all the limits based on the capacity sticker in the door jamb.  You have to understand gvwr, payload, tongue weight (hitch capacity) and gcvwr.  I figured if I went over on any of those I would put myself at risk as insurance could deny claims if anything happened and/or would open up to lawsuits. 

If uiu have any questions related to how to find those capacities let me know.  FYI, don't look in a brochure:)
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 30, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
Add about 100+# for the batteries.

Indeed. Likely more depending on what kind/size and the quantity of batteries you have. I've got 3 or 4 15lb downrigger balls as well as two downriggers, a pot puller, 4 fishing poles, various fishing gear, safety gear such as life jackets, flares, a radio and so on. All of these things are going to add up and I'm betting it's going to add up to over 5,000lbs. I definitely wouldn't want to be making out the towing capacity of my tow vehicle. Especially if it's for a long distance.

polarbill1999

Seems like you could likely take the documented weights of boat, motors, batteries, fuel and trailer and just add 1000#.

2150 + 600 + 125 + 300 + 1350 = 4525 + 1000 = 5525.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

LakeHouse4305

Hauled my 21 HT over 1200 miles including some mountains with our F150 2.7L (has 6600# GVWR tow package and integrated trailer brakes) - - no problems at all. Pretty light load though: no fishing gear, no kicker, less than 1/2 tank fuel. Boat and trailer (aluminum) weighed 4120# at certified scale. The brochures say the max trailer weight is 6000# for this set up but the problem is the max. GCWR is 10,200# per the VIN sticker. My scale weight with two people was: truck 6180 + boat/tlr 4120 = 10,300#. So, right at the max.

polarbill1999

If you had the trailer hooked up when weighing then your trailer weight is likely heavier then 4120 since the truck would be carrying the tongue weight as well.

Payload/gvwr is almost always the first limit to be hit.  Tow capacity is a useless number.

By the way, I have heard that little 2.7l is a beast.  My cousin tows a ~25' travel trailer that probably weighs 7k loaded with his 2.7l.  He made a trip to Montana last year I think and goes over Steven's pass a couple time a year. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

ATGEP

You should be fine unless you cross big mountains on a regular basis.  The low tow rating is likely due to engine power/trans & ENG cooling.  Your truck should be a stable platform at 5500. It may be "slow" but what is the race? You may find your combo had a tow option with a different tow rating and you could see what the functional difference is. (IE trans cooler)

LakeHouse4305

polarbill you are right - - forgot tongue weight. I really like the 2.7l's overall performance and comfort. This is our first full size truck and it gets much better mileage (when not towing, which is 99.9% of the time) than the midsize pickup it replaced. My wife thought it was too big when we first started shopping for a replacement but now she drives it more than our van.