News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

How to remove raw water intake?

Started by B-TownRanger, April 04, 2020, 09:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-TownRanger

Made some good progress today. Got the tank out. Gutted most of the stern wiring. Took a bit to figure out all the wiring that disappears into inaccessible locations, but I think I got it. The only think that I couldn't complete was the removal of the raw water pump. I don't plan on using it and with a 30+ year old boat, I want to clean out and seal any transom holes that are know to cause trouble. Especially ones I don't think I will use. I plan to use fresh water to washdown, but if I decide I need raw water, I'll get a over-the-side setup.

It seems to be a Rule and mounted directly to the thru-hull. Any clue how I get this thing out? It really doesn't want to move in any direction. Not much room to work with either. Here is the pic.

1989 Sea Ranger 19 - 2004 BF150 Honda

Tj805

On my 87 ranger it was held on threw the back of the boat .
I unscrewed the threads and pulled the pump out .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Scottjohnson59

on the rule pumps I worked on the tops or motor should separate from the base and the base is usually held in place b y a screw and hose there should be two plastic tabs that holds the two parts together
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

B-TownRanger

Quote from: Tj805 on April 05, 2020, 07:53:55 AM
On my 87 ranger it was held on threw the back of the boat .
I unscrewed the threads and pulled the pump out .
So, was the nut for the threaded fitting against the transom on the inside? It's pretty tight. I suppose at worst I could get a hole saw and just saw it out. I don't see any way to turn the whole pump, so it must either pull straight out or separate from the connection to the transom. I'm afraid that there is so much silicon that anything that formally unscrewed, won't anymore.

Danno

Can you get a part number off of the Rule pump? That would help. You might also pressure spray the area in question to get a better view of what you have. It would certainly help us see what you're seeing.

The off white section to the left of the white section of the pump may be the basket that ScottJohnson59 is talking about. If it is, there will be two clips that you'll have to push or pull on to release the white section (pump) from the off white section (if it's a base).

Take a picture of the outside of the transom pickup tube.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

B-TownRanger

Arg. Can't see the part number. I'm pretty sure this thing is glued in place as I've been able to get the whole assembly to wiggle. I'll post some pics when I'm inside. While it is a rule, the clips were empty. I'm guessing the off white section was glued in as an intake for the raw. Not sure if this was homemade or factory. Not sure how best to remove the silicon enough to be able to pull it out. Holesaw? Not sure I personally have the fortitude to take a hole saw to my transom, even if the hole is already there.

Danno

You can use a hack saw blade to cut the pickup tube in the transom (lengthwise)

beancounter

If you aren't gonna use it anymore shouldn't be hard to take a little vibrating saw thing to it and cut it out. My personal favorite is a big ol chisel or huge screwdriver and a bigger hammer. Then chisel the stuff out of the hole. Clean silcone out of the hole with a filet knife and paint inside of hole with unthickened epoxy. Then mix up some thickened epoxy and fill it in. Paint the outside of the hole as epoxy is not uv protected. That thing is a bad idea in my opinion from the factory. Covered by a gas tank no shut off just waiting to sink you.

davidsea

Agree with bean - sooner or later, that's going to give you a bad day.  Impossible to service without pulling the tank, and no good way to have an in-line shutoff valve.   For removal, I'd use a wide, flat prybar, inserted between the pump and transom, as close to the through-hull as possible, trying to move the whole thing forward, away from the transom.  If you can find a holesaw the same diameter as the hole in the transom, start it in slowly, in reverse.  As the hole cleans out, you can switch to forward, but keep it slow.  For final cleanout, I used 80-grit sandpaper spray-glued to a short section of pipe - kind of a sandpaper file.  Then go with the suggested epoxy treatment.
I know it looks crude, but an over the transom water pickup will never flood your boat.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

B-TownRanger

Thanks all. I think the cut-it-and-gut-it approach will be the best. I've seen mention of using "epoxy" to seal the inside of the hole along the transom wood. What type would that be? I need to worry about the water coming into the transom from both directions (from bilge and from outside). TBH, I'd like to have a pro do this part (If I can find one who is still working), but I'd like to tell them how I would like it done. I'm probably capable, but I'll worry. Stakes are pretty high. What about a brass thru-hull? Epoxy the inside (with appropriate prep) and install thru-hull with 5200?

Danno

Go to my link below for how I epoxied the drain tube hole. Seal the inside diameter with the liquid epoxy then use a filler, like chopped fiber glass in the epoxy to fill the hole. I'm a belt & suspenders person so I would add a SS plate on the outside and screw it into the transom.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=17979.msg216960#msg216960

B-TownRanger

Quote from: Danno on April 06, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
Go to my link below for how I epoxied the drain tube hole. Seal the inside diameter with the liquid epoxy then use a filler, like chopped fiber glass in the epoxy to fill the hole. I'm a belt & suspenders person so I would add a SS plate on the outside and screw it into the transom.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=17979.msg216960#msg216960
Well, that is pretty much it, huh! Thanks Danno! I remember seeing that a few months ago, but I wasn't thinking about this project at that time.  At a minimum, I can clearly direct the mechanic. If I don't hear back from anyone, I'll be doing it myself. I'll feel a lot better after your post and the linked video. Thanks!!!

Markshoreline

The through hull fitting on my boat was threaded inside, so I screwed in a plastic plug.  I can remove it along with the drain plug to empty the bilge very quickly once on the trailer.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9