News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arima fishing outside Golden Gate/ Bay Area, CA

Started by TJ Arima, March 28, 2020, 02:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Arima

Good day fellow arima owners! Hope everyone is safe. Damn virus got me lurking on this site again. 3 years ago, i had a post about moving to Hawaii with my 19 SR. Well, its time to move again to the Bay Area this summer. I used to live in Marin county but this time, I'm heading over to the east bay, Alameda County. So my questions are, all you Arima owners who live in and around the bay, do you take your boat outside the gate? Is 19 adequate for going outside? I hear the afternoons, the wind does pick up and it gets rough. Is there good fishing inside the bay? I was planning to sell my boat here in Hawaii and pick up a bigger 21' (2ft-itis) but looking at all these youtube videos of people catching salmon and halibut inside made me think twice. Ok thanks in advance and stay safe everyone.

Truman
Island Time
1992 Sea Ranger 19 HT
2012 Suzuki 140

Fisherdv

A 19 should be fine, BUT, pick your days and time carefully. Avoid going in/out the gate on a large outgoing tide. There is an area called the "potato patch" just outside the gate that can be very dangerous, especially with a large tide. You have deep, very fast moving water going out through the gate, and opposing waves from sea coming in. When they meet over the shallow area of the "potato patch", it can be very rough. Some days are flat calm. You also have fog to deal with. You may get outside, and upon returning, can't see anything cause the fog is so thick. There is also lots of shipping traffic as well. Many will go outside to chase salmon.

There is good fishing to be had inside the bay. California Halibut, Salmon, (at the right times and areas), Stripers, Sturgeon, Sharks. Try to talk to some locals to get the areas and time of year for the different species or ask here.

That said, sometimes the water inside the bay can actually be rougher than outside. You have strong winds and strong tides. You can have very steep wind chop waves that are very close together. Seems to always be windy in late spring and summer. Again check forecasted winds carefully.

I take my 16SC out there and it does fine. Your 19HT would be better.

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Wiley

:yeahthat: well said. I endured everything fisherdv states. I would also mention coming back in on the Marin side just before the golden gate you may encounter following seas with breakers... do not boat surf those . Either speed past or let them go by. I was out there when they flipped a Boston whaler. Be safe

I would add also, remember that world class sailors during world class sailing events have lost lives right there near the bridge... it is no joke out there. But common sense and preparation prevail...
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Packman

I have a 19' Sea Ranger and fish both bay and ocean with it.  I agree with the advice Wiley and Fisherdv gave, you have to pay attention to the reports and forecasts and always, always be ready to turn back
if the conditions turn bad.  That said I have never had a situation I could not handle in the Bay or Ocean with my 19.  Yes, it is true that the bay can get wilder than the ocean when the wind picks up around 2pm
so be ready to head back in the early afternoon.  Another thing to be aware of in the bay is all the traffic: container ships, fast ferries, sailboats, tugboats and pilot boats all ply the waters and can sneak up on
you if you aren't aware of your surroundings so keep a lookout at all times.  With the warnings out of the way the bay can offer some great fishing, again local knowledge will help.  Might I suggest the website
www.coastsidefishingclub.com as a great source for local Bay Area fishing information.  Another thought for ocean fishing is for you to launch out of Pillar Point Harbor near Half Moon Bay which is where I access
the ocean for salmon, rockfish and crabs.  No rough Gate to go through but you would have to trailer your boat over there.  And a final thought is not to ignore the Delta with its 1000 miles of sloughs and waterways. The Delta is a splendid place to do an overnight fishing trip, with striped bass and catfish on the menu.
Sea Ranger 19, Mercury 115 4-stroke

Wiley

10' Don Hill Pram

TJ Arima

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the heads up. The more i think about it, the more i want to ship my boat there. With the boat prices around here and not that much inventory on island, selling it might bring me more cash for down payment of a 21SR. Decisions decisions....

Pacman, i heard about the coastside forum. I will have to check it out. Someone said you have to pay to see forum posts and such. If its good info, i don't mind paying a little cash.

Thanks again everyone. Stay safe!
Island Time
1992 Sea Ranger 19 HT
2012 Suzuki 140

strokersquid

I third that. I used to go out on a 17 SR in some sketchy weather. Actually one of the scariest moments was going into 7 foot wind waves on the east side of the bay at the San Mateo bridge. The bay is 7 miles wide there and wind wave can whip up at times. On the river some long east west stretches can get some big wind waves but go around the corner to a north south stretch and it will be markedly better.Wind is usuallly good in the am but comes up around 3 or 4 pm.
A 19 is way more than enough for Bay and River fishing, but if you go out in the ocean you will want something to hang onto if the waves come up ( read a skip or hardtop ). Under usual conditions in the bay and rivers 19 is more than enough. I live in Dublin and agree good fishing in the bay and good crabbing outside. Salmon is usually up the coast 20 miles or so, but trailering there is difficult ( windy 2 lane mountain roads ) so I go out of Alameda ( free launch). Coastside fishing club is the best source for info on whats happening in the area, costs $25 a year and is a bargain.  If you want more info do not hesitate to ask ( says the member who wrecked his 21 SR HT off of Baker Beach but that is a story for another time ) Welcome back !!!

Hunter

As a teenager I had many, many great days fishing out the gate in a 17ft Boston Whaler center console with a 50hp 2 stroke Merc.   I grew up  in Berkeley and would launch at the Berkeley ramp at the bottom of University at 4am, run west in the dark and then usually hook up with the fleet coming out of Fishermans warf as the light came up.   In those days it was dead reckoning until they came out with Loran C..    I fished the entire triangle between Half Moon Bay, the Farallon's and Pt Reyes in that whaler.    Been under the gate more times than across it.   Beware the fog and the Potato Patch.   Pic your days and have a blast! 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

strokersquid

A 19 would be fine for nearly all Bay Area fishing. Only crabbing ( which has to be out in the ocean since the Bay is protected ), salmon, and rockfishing are out in the ocean. Halibut, stripers, sturgon, sharks, and rays are found in the bay. Stripers, salmon, sturgeon,  black bass, and catfish in the rivers. Or trailer it to the resevoirs ( lots within a couple of hours ) Even a 17 is fine much of the time in the ocean, but pick your days.

Norcalfish80

I've been fishing the Bay and Ocean since I could legally drive a truck (16), in everything from a 10 foot Avon to now a 19 foot SRHT. The fishing here is solid year round, sturgeon and crab in the winter, halibut and salmon in the spring summer and fall. You can find great salmon fishing just a few miles out the gate or around the corner off the Marin county beaches. The scariest boating situation I've been in was in the Bay, not the ocean but a 19 is plenty of boat for both. I'm of the opinion that you aren't very much safer in anything that's easily trailerable once you hit the 19-20 foot mark. I also have a Montauk 17 and have never felt unsafe in the ocean. Granted, I check the weather but most days it's fishable in the summer months.

Happy to link up and buddy boat some of my halibut and salmon spots once you're out here!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

TJ Arima

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on March 29, 2020, 01:17:20 AM
I've been fishing the Bay and Ocean since I could legally drive a truck (16), in everything from a 10 foot Avon to now a 19 foot SRHT. The fishing here is solid year round, sturgeon and crab in the winter, halibut and salmon in the spring summer and fall. You can find great salmon fishing just a few miles out the gate or around the corner off the Marin county beaches. The scariest boating situation I've been in was in the Bay, not the ocean but a 19 is plenty of boat for both. I'm of the opinion that you aren't very much safer in anything that's easily trailerable once you hit the 19-20 foot mark. I also have a Montauk 17 and have never felt unsafe in the ocean. Granted, I check the weather but most days it's fishable in the summer months.

Happy to link up and buddy boat some of my halibut and salmon spots once you're out here!

Thanks Norcal, appreciate the invite. I will definitely message you when i get there. Sounds like i should be able to get some fishing or just cruise around if i keep good eye on the weather. Thanks again everyone.
Island Time
1992 Sea Ranger 19 HT
2012 Suzuki 140

eelkram

I recently picked up a 19 SC and haven't gotten it wet due to the Corona shutdowns.  The only thing I can add is that there is also white sea bass in the Bay at certain times of the year.  Hope to see you/meet you guys out there soon.
2013 Sea Chaser 19, Suzuki 140, Suzuki 6 kicker- "Prickleback"

Wiley

Shhhhhh we gotta stop talking about how good it is or the northern, southern, and eastern fleets will descend on us like crawfish to a New Orleans fish boil !!!!
10' Don Hill Pram

Tj805

Quote from: Wiley on March 29, 2020, 07:04:54 AM
Shhhhhh we gotta stop talking about how good it is or the northern, southern, and eastern fleets will descend on us like crawfish to a New Orleans fish boil !!!!

Lived in the bay for three and a half years and the only thing I miss is the fishing .
Fished from half moon bay to bodega .
As for a 19 arima out of the bay I think your totally fine.
I never had a problem in my 12 ft Livingston .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Wiley

Lived in the bay for three and a half years and the only thing I miss is the fishing .

That's good.. Happy for you to have found someplace better suited to you.
10' Don Hill Pram

Sea Señor

My brother and I take our SC 16' out of the Gate for Salmon and Crab but take heed in everything that has been said here. We carefully pick our days/ tides and are always ready to turn back into the bay at any moment. We've turned back after poking our head around Point Bonita a couple of times. Hopefully one of these days we'll get our hands on a SR 22' and open up more fishing days for us.

Danno

Wouldn't it be easier to launch on the ocean side of things like Half Moon Bay or other marina?
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Norcalfish80

Quote from: Danno on March 30, 2020, 08:25:12 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to launch on the ocean side of things like Half Moon Bay or other marina?

Depends on where you want to fish. To fish Deep Reef, HMB, to fish Soquel Hole, Santa cruz etc. To fish the Golden gate Area (channel buoys, Dux, Marin beaches etc. it's easier to launch in the Bay than any ocean launch.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

strokersquid

Bodega has a launch I understand but getting there down the twisty mountain roads necessary after going through Marin ( no Freways, lots of traffic lights and traffic ) must be a headache. Just launch at Alameda or Berkely and take in the scenery on the way up to Duxbury. If the potato patch is bad it probably will be crummy all the way up, which is why I also set up for Halibut and Stripers. I can be equally skunked with several species !

Mooch

Big boat or small, here's an indispensable interactive link you'll want to have when crossing bars or running strong tidal areas:   http://deepzoom.com

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

eelkram

Can I jack this thread?  Since I'm a new boat owner and this thread has the attention of Arima owners in my geographical area... 

Any recommendations on SF Bay Area services?  canvas, electrical, detailers, trailer repair, etc.  I'd just like to keep a list handy as projects pop up.

Mooch, that link is awesome! 
2013 Sea Chaser 19, Suzuki 140, Suzuki 6 kicker- "Prickleback"

Yachter Yat

I've heard a lot about that "Potato Patch" lately.   Despite the fact I happen to be very, very busy right now (ha), I just had to take the time to go online and take a look for myself.   My first impression is that, this piece of water has obviously been misnamed.   I think it should have been called "The Mashed Potato Patch".  Simple reason is, that's what you could come out looking like if your not careful.  Haha 

Yat 
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

On 2 December 1973, Commander A. L. Wilderman, commanding officer of USS Plunger, was washed overboard from the bridge of his sub near the Potato Patch as they headed out of San Francisco Bay during a big storm. Two others were also on the bridge when the big wave hit, but were not lost.  My friend, the Chief Mate, told me the XO had kicked him down the hatch, but he clung to the XO's leg as the bridge drained.  I don't believe they ever found the Commander.

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Wiley

Quote from: Mooch on March 31, 2020, 01:41:43 PM
On 2 December 1973, Commander A. L. Wilderman, commanding officer of USS Plunger, was washed overboard from the bridge of his sub near the Potato Patch as they headed out of San Francisco Bay during a big storm. Two others were also on the bridge when the big wave hit, but were not lost.  My friend, the Chief Mate, told me the XO had kicked him down the hatch, but he clung to the XO's leg as the bridge drained.  I don't believe they ever found the Commander.

Great picture, I'm most familiar with the section to the upper left in the picture, just below the wing. That's where I've seen waves 4'-5' high and going straight up.  I call them waves for lack of a better name. They were shaped more like potatoes with nipples !!!  When it's like that the waves just before the bridge are big and nasty.. be careful not to surf those !!!
If you hug the Marin coast you can usually get around the potato patch without problem, unless you throw in fog !!! 
10' Don Hill Pram

Yachter Yat

As we all know, wind is our enemy.   I cant' really say, but it just seems that area might experience more than its fair share of stiff wind.  Wide open enough for it, that's for sure.

Yat   
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)