News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Done for the season

Started by Red 22, March 25, 2020, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red 22

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

March 25, 2020
Public Affairs contact: Ben Anderson, 360-480-4465

WDFW closes recreational fishing statewide in wake of governor's order to 'Stay Home, Stay Healthy' in response to COVID-19

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced its decision to temporarily close recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide in the wake of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19.

The closures will begin at midnight Wednesday, March 25 and last until at least 5 p.m. on April 8, 2020. WDFW will re-evaluate on April 6 whether the closure may need to be extended.

"This is not a decision we take lightly, but it's the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington's families," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "Monday's extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect."

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

"We've seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside," said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. "We've had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor's direction to stay home and practice social distancing."

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state's marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

WDFW and other state agencies previously closed all of their water access sites, including boat launches, and other public lands where people may gather. Local and tribal governments are taking similar actions across Washington.

WDFW Enforcement officers remain on duty and will be enforcing these new closures.

The lowland lakes opening day for trout remains scheduled for April 25, but will be evaluated depending on whether the governor's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order might be further extended.

For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response, please visit https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates. Updates to openings and closures will be posted to that page. For the latest information on the statewide response to this pandemic, visit https://coronavirus.wa.gov/.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Mooch

Quote from: Red 22 on March 25, 2020, 06:48:42 PM
Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

Apologizes for screwing things up for the rest of you guys, by not putting another 1/2 mile between me and the only other angler on 6 miles of beach yesterday.  Going to my room now.    :facepalm:

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

amazing grace

Oh, for crissakes :facepalm:

This is gone way beyond idiotic.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

La-Z-Buoy

Well crap. That probably means that OR is not far behind. Our Gov seems to like mimicking our neighbors both north and south of us regardless of the validity/idiocy of the issue.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Hydroman

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on March 26, 2020, 08:42:06 AM
Well crap. That probably means that OR is not far behind. Our Gov seems to like mimicking our neighbors both north and south of us regardless of the validity/idiocy of the issue.

Look like they only shutdown the Columbia River.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Scottjohnson59

It was the invasion last weekend that did it. Folks got to the beach to dig clams or a busy ramp or park or trail and instead of staying 6 feet apart they ignored authority and went about their lives as usual.
A very important social lesson for those that have not had any prior experience learning it. Our actions have consequences on others period. I don't like that the state had to treat us like children and close harvest of all resources I was able to maintain social distancing while fishing. We all saw hundreds of people acting like they could do anything they wanted on tv and now just like in basic training we are being punished for the stupid actions of others.
whats the moral of my story?  I'm afraid next step will be folks taking action on their own. I remember what happened in basic, troops soon straightened the rag-bags out. Dirty they were given a shower, fat that was easy removed their food add instant exercise and ridicule it was not pleasant nor fair it was effective... closing access is not fair but it is effective. Better than a local community having to take action to protect themselves, which is a possibility. When folks feel threatened and you could see on tv those invaded community's felt threatened. I for one am hunkering down for two weeks and staying away from everything but immediate family. :circling_shark:
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

AlexB

While this is very unfortunate, I do see the rationale.

MANY people who live in Washington like to fish. Add all the business closures and you end up with even more people out fishing because it's one of the few things they can still do.

More people heading out fishing means...

-More folks handling gas pumps.
-More folks stopping by the store for bait.
-Maybe a stop for beer, too?
-What about lunch? Gotta grab a sandwich, too, right?
-More folks stopping to grab a coffee in the morning.
-More folks using public restrooms.
-More folks handling wash down hoses and fish cleaning stations.
-Etc, etc.

Even if you have no problem keeping your distance from other fishermen once you're on the water, you still end up touching many things in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

StreamFixer

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on March 26, 2020, 08:42:06 AM

Yup..  Salmon season on the Columbia has been closed by ODFW today.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Red 22

Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Yachter Yat

Time to clean and polish, I guess.  Kinda funny to me, but now more than ever is the time I wish I had that little Zenith 4.0 Fisher.  Ha

Yat

Edit:  Wait!  Let's see if I've got this right:   First.....you can't touch the fish.  Now.......you can't get in your boat to go out and "not touch the fish".  Ha     On top of that, boat manufacturers are trying to sell us "bigger" boats.........Haaaaahaha
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

Super frustrating. But get it.

Rules are made for all of those who fail at common sense or completely lack empathy...often both...

Those who dont need the rules are always impacted by the knuckleheads who do...

I prefer to let Darwin sort it out, unless these knuckleheads can impact me personally...asymptomatic spread...so i guess I support more rules.

Some people's kids....
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Bigfish1!

Holly Buckets what a bummer,  but maybe it will help someone live to fish another day.  BF1