Author Topic: removing windshield on sea ranger 19'  (Read 215 times)

Offline pedeboy

removing windshield on sea ranger 19'
« on: March 25, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »
searched "windshield removal" and found that you have to "remove the plastic strip" on the outside of the frame which covers the screws holding down the windshield without breaking them cause they're irreplaceable......ok..... got it.....any chance of just HOW to get them out without destroying them? Made a stab at it today but gave up before ruining them. Seriously thinking of making a top like Tortuga Phil did last summer ( thanks Phil for the inspiration and links.) Need to make a template of the footprint for the top but need to temporarily remove the windshield to do it right. thanks in advance for any help.
Pete
19' sea ranger..115 hp Yamaha..9.9 Yamaha kicker   northern ca coast and delta, sac river

Offline Markshoreline

Re: removing windshield on sea ranger 19'
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
Maybe try warming the plastic strip with a heat gun, but after 12 or more years in the sun those strips get brittle!

Has anyone found a replacement that fits?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online davidsea

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 02:29:00 PM »
   You may be able to remove the originals by warming them up with a hair dryer or heat gun (not too hot), and prying up on one edge with a thin, stiff blade putty knife.   If that fails, here are 3 possible solutions.    All will work, but are listed in order of elegance:  1)  Taylor Made #8838920   (taylormadeproducts.com)    2)  Cut 3/4" strips from thin black textured ABS plastic sheet, and apply with black or clear silicone.  (tapplastics.com, or local stores)  If you do this, use a quality ABS sheet, not the crap that's cheap on eBay, because it will distort and deteriorate rapidly in sunlight.    3)  Strips of black GorillaTape.   (Home Depot)   Your choice...   
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda 115
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda 50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Online Croaker Stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline Svinny88

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:37:14 PM »
Excellent link, but does anyone know the actual part number for arima windshields?
1998 15’11” sea explorer. No motor.....waiting on new bf100!
 “T roLL on 1”

Online davidsea

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 07:46:27 PM »
 See above post -  #8838920 - but call Taylor customer service for actual dimensions, may need to trim length to fit.

Offline GregE

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »
And once Again the AO group comes thru with good info.   :party017: :clap:
Greg
SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »
   David:   Is that number correct...….or is it 8338920? 

Yat
Dear Bo:  Would you please get us the Zenith 4.0?  Order about 5 and have 'em shipped to Everett with the Stabis.   You can thank me later, Yat

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline pedeboy

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
hey thanks everyone for the input. So here's what I have discovered. The heat gun softened it up nicely except that when I pried one end out it deformed the first 3 inches of it pretty badly in order to soften it up enough to get it out.I believe the technical term for that is " not good". The trouble is that it snaps in top and bottom and both ends are captured under the aluminum sides for about 1/2 inch.   so that in order to pry it out you really have to lift it up enough to extract the 1/2 that is captured under the metal.This causes a lot of distortion and needs to be softened up a lot in order to achieve the desired results. Resulting in one end that will never be the same because when it cools down it becomes very hard and brittle again  What I ended up doing, and it worked pretty good is this.I used a razor knife to cut one end flush with the metal using the aluminum strip as a guide and then it was pretty easy to get a very small screwdriver under the END of the strip and gently pry it up and out of the channel dislodging both the upper and the lower ridges that snap in at the same time. Didn't even need to heat it up. Once you get it started keep sliding the small screwdriver down under the middle of it and it comes right out. Hope this will help someone in the future to keep the strips intact so that they can be reinstalled. One end won't go back under the metal side after that unless you are able to slide the whole piece over a 1/4" or so. That might be possible ( I haven't tried to put them back in yet) I did get my template made for the wheelhouse project and reinstalled the windshield, but even if you can't slide it over it will still be in there flush to the metal with  basically no gap. thanks again everyone for the input.
pete
19' sea ranger..115 hp Yamaha..9.9 Yamaha kicker   northern ca coast and delta, sac river

Online davidsea

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
 Sorry, my bad - yes, it's #8338920....