News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fillet-O-Fish

Started by woody, February 06, 2011, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody

This is a method I like (and so does Danno) and is worth looking at.  All credit to eyeFISH ... The Keen Eye MD who originally published this method in Salmon Trout Steelhead, May 2005 which is where I learned it.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=51868   

Maybe one of you nerds could do this so you can highlight and hit enter.  I can't seem to make it work although if you copy that address in your search it will take you there.     Ooops, I stand corrected, it does work to hit it.  Another case of these damn opposable thumbs doing their job.

Woody

Enniberg

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting that link Woody! :applause:

Just remember that processing a fish in this fashion before you get back to your place of residence may not be legal - at least not in Canada.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.htm

Johan
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Kimbrey

To take it even further after you have filleted the fish is to cut (dorsal to belly) the fillet into what would be a double steak thickness. Then slice in the center of the chunk to the skin...don't slice through. Fold it so the skin is in the center and then grill, fry or whatever.  I call it a butterfly salmon steak.  Makes a nice presentation.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

GoodDays

Enniberg is Right !  Cut your fish up like that in Canada and you might just loose your fish and get a ticket !!  Fish being transported need to be Countable, measureable, and identifiable by Species. ....

GoodDays Greg :beerchug:

PNW Pride

Great technique!  Thanks for sharing the knowledge.  Should make processing those big pacific salmon a breeze. :applause:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

wedocq

That does look pretty slick. In the state of Washington we are allowed to fillet and transport our daily limit in fresh form plus 40 pounds of fillets that have been processed (vacuum packed).
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.