News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

How did you install a 2nd battery on SE/SC 1511

Started by Laserguy, March 24, 2020, 04:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laserguy

I'm planning to install a Second battery for house loads. The original plan was to place it at the port side transom as a mirror image of the starboard starting battery.

After reading a number of entries here, I am considering putting it in the bow. It's winter here so I could only do a brief visual inspection. The floor of the bow, under the fresh water tank is steeply v-shaped. I don't use the water tank I can pull it.

So show me how you installed your 2nd battery on the 1511? Bow or stern, I'd like to see your ideas.

Svinny88

I have 5 batteries, mounted where the ports potty would have been.  3 are for my 36v trolling motor. If I was in your situation, I would weigh the cost of cables, the second battery, battery switch, mcr, etc. against purchasing one lithium battery to replace what is there.  With the lithium batteries available , it is possible to double your capacity, cut a lot of weight, and save hours of install time.  I will be swapping to lithium batteries once this world comes back to normal.  Check out relion batteries.  If you are going to go the route of adding another regular battery, the best decision I can recommend is to move both batteries to the cabin reduces a lot of wiring nightmares when your batteries are in the same place
1998 15'11" sea explorer. 2020 Honda bf100
"T roLL on 1"

Hunter

So just curious.  Have they made a lot of progress in resolving fire hazard concerns with Lithium batteries?   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Svinny88

There are different types of lithium batteries, supposedly the lifepo4 batteries are not explosive. There is some info on the internet somewhere.. I'll see if I can find it
"T roLL on 1"

58Johnson

2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Svinny88

"T roLL on 1"

sunnydude2

I added a second battery to my SH last year.  In the process of relocating them both to the starboard side of the boat as my new fuel tank will take up the center portion.  I decided on putting them both on starboard side to counter the kicker and auxillary fuel tank on the port.

Got my Noco single bank charger installed yesterday.  Already had the ACR installed so just need to move it closer to the batteries now.

Koopa253

Quote from: Svinny88 on March 30, 2020, 12:55:27 AM
5 battery setup 1511 explorer

Man just curious what you all having going on there? Are you using all 5 batteries on a sea explorer? I have a sea hunter with just about everything except radar and just run one battery.
2006 Arima SeaHunter
2014 Suzuki 60 HP
2018 Suzuki 6 HP

Svinny88

Start, house, and 3 for the 36v trolling motor. An average trip when I get out is 26-28 hours, with lots of power draw, from lights at night catching bait, running the Sebastopol heater , to live well pump and all day slow trolling. Upgraded to a Honda bf100 this year, and the higher charging capacity when the main is running is an extremely noticeable difference. I had planned to swap to lithium batteries, and I will drop 150 lbs, but the corona has eliminated the rest of the boat budget for now
"T roLL on 1"

Laserguy

Based on your photos, I'm going to pull the forward water tank and measure out the space. I already own a marine starting battery and a second deep cycle battery. Right now the boat is wired for only one. It is my Spring project to add a house battery for the bilge pump as well as add a back up bilge pump.