News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bring this to America?

Started by Yachter Yat, March 17, 2020, 10:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

Glad this wasnt a pitch for ointment...  :cha:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

Haha.........a "pitch for ointment"? ............Hahaha

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

AJ:  That is "Exactly" what the Zenith 4.0 Fisher is going to replace.   The other is that ridiculous $18 to $20K SeaDoo Fish Pro. BTW, I found some more "tidbits" on the Zenith.  That's quite the boat.  Very well made.  In fact, probably the most practical (and beautiful) little boat, in its class, I've ever seen.   I emailed Advanced Fiberglass to get a bit more info on it.  Did so from their website, but not sure if it went through.  We shall see, I guess.   

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Here she is, moving along quite smartly.    Yat     
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Well....not wanting to wait too much longer, I emailed Advanced Fiberglass yesterday in an attempt to get a bit more info on this little jewel.  I asked about a few specs, pricing and shipping.  Haven't heard back yet.  Course, its only been a day!   Maybe they're all hunkering-down at home like the rest of us.  We'll see, I guess.

Anyway, as I ponder this whole thing, one of the biggest "stumbling blocks" (in my mind, at least) seems to be the logistics surrounding how the hell to get this thing to the U.S........that is, if Advanced agrees to build it to my specs, and the price fits into my budget, of course.  This company is located in a town called Dunedin in Southern New Zealand. 

So I started thinking and researching........(I know, how "incongruous" for me)  Haha.  Interestingly, I discovered, the Stabicraft plant is located in a town called Invercargill, NZ.  Funny, but this town is even "farther South" than Dunedin.   Looking for a Stabicraft dealer in the U.S. lead me to "Boat Country" in Everett, Wa.   At this point, I find myself wondering if my boat couldn't simply be put-in with a shipment of Stabis to Everett??   I don't know anything about the people, or the operation at Boat Country, but I'm now wondering if they would agree to accept my boat and hold it in their yard for me.  I wouldn't ask something for nothing and would be willing to compensate them for their time, of course.

So, I guess my questions are:   Has anybody out there ever had any dealings with Boat Country?   Are any of you familiar enough with the people at this dealership......to a point where you could render an opinion as to whether or not they would be at least somewhat receptive to working with me on this?   I would appreciate any advice. 

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AlexB

I wonder how that NZ boat would compare to a Livingston 14 in terms of seaworthiness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Yachter Yat

No doubt those multi-hulled boats can take some sloppy water.  That said, it's not a hull I would ever want to own.  Years ago, I had occasions to meet and speak with two separate people who happened to own these "cat-styled" boats.  Both were in the mid 20 foot range, and both were equipped with dual V6 Yamahas.  Ironically.....both were for sale. 

I don't know for sure, but I think on a boat the size of the Zenith 4.0 Fisher, that deep V design would (more likely than not) serve to adequately soften the ride.....especially given the conditions you would elect to encounter with it. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 19, 2020, 08:28:43 PM
Yat, look at our boats again.........Yup, the perfect small boat! :anyone:

Thought I'd repost this to show Yat again that we already have the perfect small boat. But yes CS, those Stabi's are sweet.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Croaker;  Yeah, those Stabis are quite the boat.  It's amazing how they are so able to handle rough water.  Anybody looking for (what I generally consider) a mostly utilitarian little craft, could do a lot worse.  That said, I'm particularly fond of the (similar) Frewza 14 Fisher.  My problem is, I'm just not that crazy about aluminum.  "Form following function", as well as "beauty being in the eye of the beholder" aside, I'm just not sure I want to be staring at a "mimick" of an F17 Stealth Fighter, sitting in my garage (not being used) 360 days a year.   

BTW, those Stabis (as well as the Frewzas) are made down in Southern New Zealand; not far from where the Zenith 4.0 is made.  That's why I was asking if anybody on the Forum knew anything about Boat Country in Everett, Wa.  They happen to be a Stabicraft dealer.  Being so, I thought there might be a chance they could take delivery of my little Zenith when receiving a shipment of Stabis.

Fisher;   I hear you.  In fact, for years, I considered mine to be the perfect small boat as well.  It's just that, in recent years, my boating habits and priorities have changed a bit.  I suppose some of those changes may have come about as a result of the tightened fishing regulations, but some are simply personal.  As time has gone on, I've been finding it difficult to justify owning a boat even as big as my 16 SC; especially given the number of times we've found ourselves using it in recent years.  Seems all I do lately is polish, change oil and walk around it.

Anyway...when I stumbled across the little Zenith 4.0 Fisher, you can probably just imagine what I might have been thinking.  Here was a little smaller boat, with a closed bow that appears to offer a substantial amount of protection from the elements.  It has a deep V that (despite its size) should provide for a softer ride.  Being smaller, it would be easier to handle, easier to maintain, take-up less storage space, and (best of all) appearing to be seaworthy enough for those limited number of outings we do on the best of days.  A truly "grab and go boat"..... not only one that would lend itself to the way we normally find ourselves making those "last minute" decisions to go, but also for the usually limited number of hours Mother Nature allows us to stay out.     

We've actually tried to picture ourselves using this thing.  Cruising along the Coast, gunkholing in and out of the rivers, estuaries and small quaint bays around Cape Ann.  Running the 8 miles or so out to the Isles of Shoals on some nicer days.  Maybe running up to some of the many beautiful lakes here in N.H. on occasions, to swim or picnic on deck while sitting under that big umbrella that I would have stuck into one of those vertical rod holders I would install.   Are you getting the picture?   Or.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfVqA3HE0k    Ha   Sorry, it was just too tempting...........and I'm weak.  Haha

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AlexB

I wonder how that little deep V handles on the drift? Seems like it might tend to roll side to side?

Have you seen any video of these things in action with a little chip on the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Yachter Yat

Alex:  No, I haven't seen it "in action", per se, but been looking.  I posted earlier about installing a fairly large set of trim tabs on this boat; thinking that might negate some of the instability, but now find myself thinking:  What instability?   We really don't know!  Jet Skis have similar deep V designs, that allow them to run quite fast in some tough conditions, yet don't seem to be that unstable.  BTW, they're also not as wide as the Zenith.  So, I don't know.  The only question I would have is:  Would this boat actually be 'that' much different from any other?  The reality is, all small boats move.....including my little Chaser.  I honestly believe, if it gets to the point where it becomes intolerable in this particular boat.......it would be the same in my Arima, and probably time to "pack-it-in". 

Don't mean to be overly defensive of the Zenith.  It's a tradeoff, I'm sure.  Being able to "move along" a bit faster will, no doubt, cost you a bit in terms of stability.  I guess the question is.....to what extent?  The added stability provided by those trim tabs I mentioned, might be just enough to call it a "wash".  Hopefully, we'll eventually come to see.   

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 27, 2020, 08:01:57 AMDear Bo:  Would you please get us the Zenith 4.0?  Thank you, Yat

Hey Yat, got a new tag line for you:
"Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have."

Grass is greener and boats are always better on the other side of the equator, but it's going to be faster, cheaper and more realistic to move down under than to wait for Bo to bring these in while he's still in his right mind.

Dream on.   :wink:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Yachter Yat

Call me a "visionary", but I've got a pretty good idea of what would make me happy.   As far as Bo is concerned, (pardon me) but I've given up on him doing anything that might not have been his own idea.  I've left him behind. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, remember one thing...........your 16SC is paid for.  :wink:

Yachter Yat

Fisher:  Yes it is!  As would be the Zenith.  Or........that 22 Arima......if I wanted it.  It isn't about the money.  It's really about how I see my future activities on the water.   

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Croaker;  Take a look:  Notice the "Queen Mary" in the background as they were hooking-up the little Stabi.  Ha   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJPdfAawfEk   Almost makes me wish I felt differently about aluminum. 

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Here's one with a Honda 60.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkhOVNoiMmY   I'm getting the feeling the "Mosquito Fleet" might be on its way.  Ha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yachter Yat

Fisher:  From what I understand, the ones that are shipped to the U.S. must also have those chambers filled with foam.   Those little boats are amazing, but (for my purposes going forward) I really like that little fiberglass Zenith.  That said, if I was a hardcore fisherman, who paid less attention to the weather and was a bit less subjective......I'd be looking real hard at that boat. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

I think I found the only video of the 4.0 in action, well moving at 5mph.

0.40 seconds, don't blink or you'll miss it.
https://youtu.be/MJq3kf6kd1s

NZBoats might want to think about improving their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOI5fLhiN8BrQgUrsuO-mLw

Yachter Yat

AJ;  Thanks for that.  Unfortunately, that's not the Zenith we see moving along.  Somewhat similar though.  A lot of those Kiwi boats are built with closed bows and high foredecks.  Obviously for protection against the elements.   All I can say is, there must be some helluva rough water down there. 

Yeah, that Zenith is a little beauty!  Did you notice the hatch in the foredeck?  Allows access for anchoring.  I can't say for sure, but it seems that feature might be useful for anchoring in a river like the Columbia? 

I have to ask you:  Tell me now..........and be "honest":  If your boat went over a cliff, and was totally destroyed.  Given the current, and potential future angling regulations (such as here in New England), as well as any other restrictions that may come to befall us........would you consider this Zenith 4.0 as a viable option for your purposes?   Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the conditions on the West Coast, but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than "Down Under".  That aside, if you fish mostly solo, or with only one other person.....and generally fairly close to shore; in fair to moderate weather, it seems this boat could well serve the purpose. 

As I've said before, it would certainly be a heck-of-a-lot easier to maintain; not to mention, a bit more economical to run.  Researching some other smaller boats with 50 HP motors, leads me to suspect this little creature would likely push you along at somewhere around 40 MPH.  I also believe, we might be pleasantly surprised at how that 26 degree hull might serve to knock-down some of that chop we oftentimes find ourselves having to live with.  Another plus I see is, the MPG with this hull could easily average in the 10 mile per gallon range.  At that rate, 12 gals. would be more than sufficient.  Heck.....even 6 gals., if someone used it primarily as a short-run day fisher.    So....a little more to think about, I guess. 

Then, of course, there's the specter of getting these to the U.S.  My latest thought was the idea of having Boat Country in Everett, Wa. take delivery.  Since they are a Stabicraft dealer (and the Stabi factory is close to Advanced Fiberglass) I thought they could simply ship these together.  Unfortunately, I can't contact them until I hear back from Advanced.  We shall see, I guess.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

For you and the way you describe your boating needs and uses, I can see why a smaller boat would fit your needs, like the Fisher 4.0.
The one downside is the boat you like is only available in NZ, so there's no way for you to physically see it to make sure you actually like it's set up.
One issue I see is the costs on getting it here to the US, plus the possible paperwork that there might be in bringing a foreign boat to the US? I don't think it would be, but not sure IF it's anything like bringing a foreign car into the US 🤷‍♂️
Have you checked out the Stabi boat, in person, and see if it's something that fits your needs, meaning size and comfort?

I do understand your thoughts, because when my dad was alive, and he was about 65,(that was about 20 years ago) he started thinking along the exact same lines as you, including thinking about a jet ski. His thoughts were he wanted something he could, in his words, "fart around on the water" and that was easier to handle. He had that little 15 foot Glasspar, but it was something that was getting "to big" for him to maintain. He eventually gave me the boat, then after a couple years, I gave it to my brother since he was going to get more use out it then I was.

As for me in the scenario if I no longer have my SC16, I would still want at least a 17 foot boat. 90% of the time I fish with 1 other person and there are times when my wife and soon to be 2 year old daughter will go out with me on the boat along with some friends, so I would need the extra space. At this time the maintenance is not a big deal for me, we don't have really harsh winters and I typically use my boat year round. The conditions down here are not to extreme, but there have been sometimes during winter and spring, I wish I had a deeper V hull.
As for a decision if I was to not get another Arima, I would go for the Reflex boat I posted earlier on. After seeing it and walking around it, it's a great little do everything boat with lots of space. It to has a door on the bow that easily opens for anchoring and makes it pretty simple to solo launch.
I also found out they come with starboard panels that can close off the cuddy, kind of similar to the Ranger. Another thing I liked about the Reflex was the price and what you get.
The 485 (17' boat) is $35,000 fully rigged with a Mercury 90, a Simrad GO7 ChartPlotter/Fishfinder, VHF Radio, removable carpet, rod arch, swim ladder, Bimini top, and a trailer, not to bad.
Like I said, IMO, the Reflex is a do all boat which in the coming years, when my daughter gets a little older and her and her friends are wanting to go to the lake, it's set up easily for pulling inflatables and for people to get in and out of the water.
As you can see I've done a lot of thinking about this boat :jester: but since we have a young daughter, I'm thinking more into a boat that is a good all around boat that would fit our needs.

https://youtu.be/-K1TFDE7Kic

Yachter Yat

Yes, I've looked at the Reflex.  Looks like a well made and well finished boat.  Unfortunately, they just don't make a boat that fits my size requirement.  BTW, I think you'd probably be able to tell where that comes from by the "Union Jack" sticker pasted to the side of that hull @ 1:26, right?   I've never really heard of any problems with importing boats from New Zealand.  In fact, right now there are two dealers seemingly gearing-up to fill the Northwest with Stabis.  Those things are made almost "next door" to the Zenith.

As to the Zenith 4.0 though:   I think the biggest thing it may actually have going for it is its "size".  I mean, anyone who fishes offshore from a kayak or jet ski.....and (as a result) may have been deemed "certifiable", and thereby threatened with "institutionalization", would probably find this to be an appealing option.  I joke about it, of course, but I'm sure you might be able to see how many of these guys could be tempted by this little "offering".   Don't get me wrong.  I don't honestly believe whoever is the first to import this thing is going to wind-up dining with Bill Gates or Warren Buffett.  I do believe, however, that they could ultimately do quite well for themselves.   

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)