Author Topic: Is there a market demand for an affordable suspension seat system?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Grizzle

Guys I'm wondering out loud if there is a demand for a bolt on shock absorbing pedestal specifically built to withstand heavy saltwater use and adapted for stock Arima pedestals and seats?

I was talking to "Eric the Epic Fabricator" @ performance welding today about my Arima seat problems and he said they could build a killer shock system that would bolt right on.  He happens to also specialize in building racing car and motorcycle suspension systems.

He said he would make us some prototypes to send out for forum members to try if there would be a demand for the product.  Think all high grade SS & Alum construction, sealed bearings, frictionless last forever kinda stuff in that sub $200 price point.

You see some their work at http://performanceweldingservice.com/
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:36:59 PM by Grizzle »
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Offline First Cabin

Re: Is there a market demand for an affordable suspension seat system?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
I think there is definitely a market, but one problem I see immediately is: "stock Arima pedestals and seats".  Arima has gone with several different variations over the years.

My suggestion would be to make a standard pedestal base (as much as there is one) and offer adapters if required.  Once installed, it would be up to the purchaser to put their own seat on top.

I'm interested....  Needs to be saltwater approved!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline wedocq

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Wow, their work looks pretty sweet. I would definitely be interested. The problem for me is I have 2 storage seats that already sit up pretty. If I raised them higher to give them room for downward travel, I think they might be way too high.  :shrug9:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline FISHSTALKER

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
Grizzle - Like most things these days, I think it becomes a show me subject. New seats are on my lengthy list too!
Dale
91' Sea Ranger 19' cabin 91 Merc 115, 05' Honda 15, Furuno FCV 585, Cannon DT20's, Bert's track sys.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Not sure there is enough demand for Arima-specific seats, but there could be a market more broadly.  If the ride is good, they could have a niche for off-shore Tuna! and halibut boats.  The guys at Defiance Marine might be interested for sure.

Re: "standard" pedestals... The manufacturers change the bolt patterns every couple of years.  There isn't an Arima-standard... Belinda has posted occasionally lamenting that Arima has to switch over to different designs as the manufacturers roll new ones out and discontinue old ones.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Grizzle

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Understood Dale - but its good to know there might some interest.

On a good note - this guy is a bonafide bad to the bone mechanical designer and fabricator.  His shop is always full of custom motorcyle swing arm conversions, race car frames, bicycle suspensions.  He can handle taking the bumps out of a boat ride.  He does a lot of marine fabrication.

He has built many things for my boats and other toys.  Some are very complicated including the articulated gas ram assisted bait table and custom side car frame and handrails.  The grab rail over the sidecar windshield has so many curves in it took 8 separate pieces to create the main section - impossible to see the joins - stunning.  Seriously nice stuff.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:11:15 PM by Grizzle »
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)