Author Topic: Wire size wire from terminal block to switch panel?  (Read 197 times)

Offline SoCalAngler

Wire size wire from terminal block to switch panel?
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:10 AM »
Hello all--

I used 6 gauge tinned duplex wire from battery selector switch up to the terminal block under dash (from great advice here on this forum).

Terminal block under dash is for + and - wires (leads or grounds).  From terminal block I will feed the switch panel.  Terminal block uses #8/10 screws (eye terminals). 

The switch panel is a Blue Seas 4 switch model.  It uses a male terminal for power feed.  This means I need to use a jumper wire from terminal block to switch panel (female disconnect terminal one one end).  Unfortunately, I am unable to find a female disconnect that accepts 6 gauge wire.  Largest is 10 gauge which I have. 
The lead from terminal block to switch panel is less than 1 foot. 

Is it crucial to stay stick with 6 gauge? if so, how can I make this connection?

My thoughts are using anything less than 6 gauge defeats the purpose of using the 6 gauge from selector switch to dash area.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:41:48 AM by SoCalAngler »
1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?

Offline DevMah

• Fisherman
  • Knowledge is the root of all good.
  • View Gallery
Re: Wire size wire from terminal block to switch panel?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
Hello all--

I used 6 gauge tinned duplex wire from battery selector switch up to the terminal block under dash (from great advice here on this forum).

Terminal block under dash is for + and - wires (leads or grounds).  From terminal block I will feed the switch panel.  Terminal block uses #8/10 screws (eye terminals). 

The switch panel is a Blue Seas 4 switch model.  It uses a male terminal for power feed.  This means I need to use a jumper wire from terminal block to switch panel (female disconnect terminal one one end).  Unfortunately, I am unable to find a female disconnect that accepts 6 gauge wire.  Largest is 10 gauge which I have. 
The lead from terminal block to switch panel is less than 1 foot. 

Is it crucial to stay stick with 6 gauge? if so, how can I make this connection?

My thoughts are using anything less than 6 gauge defeats the purpose of using the 6 gauge from selector switch to dash area.

Thoughts?

You don't need AWG 6 for that short run, IMO 10AWG is way more than you need for a 1' jumper from terminal block to switch panel. you can even go lower if you add the calculated load for the 4 switches and enter that value in the calculator.
Don't confuse your main line run V drop with the branch line V  drop, the AWG 6 is for the long run from the battery switch to your terminal block.

FYI
1’ of AWG 10 @ 12 Vdc  3% V-drop  can handle 60A.

http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

Dev

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:40:20 PM by DevMah »
2015 21' Sea Ranger  (Tight lines)
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Offline SoCalAngler

Re: Wire size wire from terminal block to switch panel?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
Thanks Dev...just the info I did not consider
1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle