News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New to Me Arima

Started by stickball, March 04, 2020, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickball

Thanks for the heads-up, Mustang.  I'm thinking I wanna find something a little closer to home, especially considering the health situation up in the Seattle area these days.  I know... it makes me sound like a wuss, but that's OK with me.
Television isn't a medium; it's a small...

1989 Sea Hunter w/ 1990 75hp Merc 2-stroke.
2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

stickball

Several of you guys suggested starting a new thread about the progress I'm making with my NTM Arima.  I'm happy to do that, but am wondering how to move some of the pertinent posts over to the new thread.  Is it possible?  Does anyone know how?  Thanks.

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

mustang65fbk

Not sure if you can, I usually just post a link to the other thread if it's pertinent.  So maybe do an introductory post and link this thread on it, if you'd like.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Danno

Quote from: stickball on March 05, 2020, 09:24:35 PM
Several of you guys suggested starting a new thread about the progress I'm making with my NTM Arima.  I'm happy to do that, but am wondering how to move some of the pertinent posts over to the new thread.  Is it possible?  Does anyone know how?  Thanks.

Splitting a thread is easy when there aren't too many posts to split off. This one took a little time.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

La-Z-Buoy

Congrats on the boat Stickball. My first Arima was a Sea Hunter. Great little boats.

Just to throw this out so you have more options to mull over  :stirthepot: . My SH had a four stroke Yamaha with a trolling plate. The motor was BARELY adequate for the boat BUT it had a trolling plate and it worked excellently. So on a 50 or maybe even a 60 it still might be an option. That would be that much less weight on the back of that small boat.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Jeff

Consider looking into a Suzuki 6hp.  I had one on my Sprinter, only about 55lbs.  It is a single cylinder, but I didn't notice too much vibration.
1989 Sea Sprinter
2005 Yamaha 60hp  ***Sold***

1989 Sea Chaser
2013 Honda 90hp *** 2020 Yamaha 9.9

stickball

Couple of things -

First, thanks to the Administrator of this site for moving the pertinent posts to this new thread.  Thanks very much...

Here's a short interesting tale of overcoming bureaucracy when going through the boat and trailer registration process:  I live in Washington and my Arima used to live in Oregon.  Apparently Oregon doesn't require trailers to be registered, and so mine wasn't.  Nor does it have a visible VIN number.  When I went to register boat and trailer this morning, the DMV lady politely told me that without a VIN for the trailer, I need to obtain the trailer's empty weight.  "Empty weight" means with no boat on it.  Hmmm, says I.  How am I gonna do that?  Well, it just so happens that the DMV and Washington State Patrol will use as proof a letter from the manufacturer attesting to the empty weight.  I contacted Midwest Industries (maker of Shoreland'r trailers...) and spoke to a guy named Ed Nelson.  Ed asked for pics of the trailer from various angles to see if he can determine the year and model of the trailer so as to determine the empty weight.  Well.  Ed ROCKS!!  He sent me back a letter on company letterhead indicating the empty weight of the trailer, along with a brochure for the trailer with all the specs.  DMV said they would honor that letter, so first problem solved!!  YAY! 

The first available appointment with Washington State Patrol inspectors is mid-April, and so I signed up.  They said that the trailer needs to be empty for the inspection.  So I needed a way to lose the boat for several hours.  My wife giggled when I asked if she would sit in the empty boat for several hours tied up at a dock while WSP did their inspection.  Actually, she didn't just giggle.  She guffawed.  Now I know what a guffaw is.   To make this long story shorter, I found a marina that lets boaters tie up for a day for no charge while they take care of stuff like this.  It's the marina at the launch in Ridgefield, and the guy's name is Alan.  Kudos to Alan for helping out.

I'm supposed to look at and hopefully purchase a 4-stroke trolling motor tomorrow.  I'll post more about that, along with pics, in a couple of days or so.  Thanks again to all who offer help and advice...

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

SoCalAngler

Congrats on the purchase!  I'm also a fairly new member and Arima owner.  The 15's are really neat little boats!

Not sure if you found the drain plugs or not, but I purchase them from Amazon....It was a 5 pack with o rings for $7-8

Moeller 020304-10 Plug for Transom Drain Tube

I, too, am concerned about the added weight of a kicker, especially with these smaller 15s. 
I am considering a Honda 5hp long shaft 4 stroke.  No electric start, not power tilt...just a basic long shaft.  I'd love to go with the Honda 2.3hp 4 stroke, but it's just too under-powered for ocean use.  In calm lake water, it pushed me about 2mph which is perfect for trolling.
1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?

stickball

Thanks, SoCalAngler!  I'm so happy to be involved with this group.

I'll pick up a package of those drain plugs this week; do you use a screwdriver to insert and remove them?

Prior to buying my Arima, I ran a tin boat with a small 4hp 2-stroke as a kicker.  The damn thing ran all day, but it wore me out.  Single-cylinder motors vibrate way too much, especially for someone who has had thumb surgery.  The other thing I found with that motor was that the spark plug fouled regularly, and I had to either clean it or replace it after each outing.  I mean, it worked and all that, but it was just extra stuff to do all the time.  So for me, a two-cylinder kicker is important.  I could be wrong about this, but I think everything under 8hp is a single cylinder.

I'm supposed to go today to look at and buy a 9.9 4-stroke with electric start and electric throttle control, but the owner of the motor isn't being very responsive.  There are other motors out there that would also fit my needs; several 8hp motors are available and might be closer to home.  Film at 11...

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

SoCalAngler

Yes, I use a wide blade flat head stubby screwdriver.  I'm going to a tool specific to this plug, just haven't gotten around to it.

Just be careful with the added weight at the transom....that 9.9 with electric start is probably near 100#!...Plus the two batteries...all at the aft end. 

NOTE:  The single cylinder may vibrate more than twins.....but you probably wont be steering with your hands as you did with the tinny so it will not bother your thumb. 

1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?

Mooch

Quote from: stickball on March 07, 2020, 07:05:19 AM
Thanks, SoCalAngler!  I'm so happy to be involved with this group.

I'll pick up a package of those drain plugs this week; do you use a screwdriver to insert and remove them?

Film at 11...

Stickball,
I see you're a Steadicam operator.  Still in the biz?
BTW, on the plastic plugs I just use a coin under light pressure or hand tighten only. 
Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Yachter Yat

I use the backside of my house key.  Fits perfectly.  Ha

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

stickball

I ordered a package of those drain plugs from Amazon this morning.  Thanks for the info.

And yes, Mooch... in a previous life (the one where I actually worked for a living...) I was indeed a Steadicam operator.  For about 32 years.  Flew for my own documentaries, sports programs, commercials, and corporate video; and trained dozens of currently flying operators.  I retired about 5 years ago.

After much consideration, I decided to pass on a really nice 9.9 Suzuki with electric start.  The added weight of the motor and an additional battery is not worth the convenience of the electric start.  So I'm still looking for a good 8-hp 4-stroke kicker, and perhaps a 60hp 4-stroke main.  I figure I can sell the 75hp 2-stroke Merc to off-set the cost of the 60hp .  That seems like a reasonable solution to me.  Gonna try to get out this coming week to give the main a good thorough test.  I expect it to cough and belch a bit, as it needs to be tuned.  I has a trolling plate attached and I wanna see how slow I can go with it. 

BTW, if anyone has a used GPS/FF they wanna sell, please contact me.

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

stickball

Here's a question for those mechanics and techs in the group; I found what looks to be a nice 60hp Yamaha, with no controls.  After looking up Yamaha controls on-line it appears that a set of controls, including throttle, cables, and such, is less than $200.  Does that sound about right?  Are the controls somewhat universal, in that they will fit a range of Yamaha's, or must the controls be very specific to the particular motor?  Thanks!

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

stickball

Sorry for not updating this thread in a while.  Been kinda busy not getting sick...

Here's another tale to giggle at.  I'm still shaking my head.  I found and purchased a 2007 9.9 Merc extra long shaft kicker in pristine shape.  We fired it up, ran it forwards and backwards, and I smiled as we loaded the thing into my 4Runner.  It was loaded in on its side.  This, as it turns out, was a big mistake.  All the oil leaked out!  it made a mess, but that cleaned up easily.  I mounted the motor, refilled the oil, and arranged for its virgin voyage.  The day before we were to go out fishing for the first time, just on a hunch I went out to the boat and cranked over the main motor no problem.  When I pulled on the kicker rope, the rope wouldn't budge!  "WTF!!", says I.  Well, most of you probably know this already, but I sure didn't.  When the oil leaked out of the kicker, some of the oil got into the cylinders and jammed them up.  Googling the problem, I tried to remedy it by pulling the plugs, yanking on the starter rope to squirt the oil out, followed by trying to put fuel in the plug holes to then pull the starter rope again to clear out the rest of the oil.  You shoulda seen it; watching me try to do this must've been like watching a sitcom.  Oil squirted everywhere!  A fence, my neighbors trees, his garage.  Simply amazing.  Long story short, the boat is still a virgin to me.  Mobil mechanic coming out here next Monday to get it working right, as well as to go through the main and tune it up.

Bought new tires for the trailer.  The sidewalls of the old tires were all cracked and not very safe.  I feel lucky to have gotten the thing home at all. 

The canvas (it has a full canvas, with drop-curtain for the back...) is a very tight fit.  A couple of the snaps actually don't snap at all due to being too tight.  I'll probably take the top off completely for a while and see how I like it.  I'm used to sitting in an open boat in all weather.

There's a smoothly-working large trolling plate on the boat.  Depending on how much trouble the kicker is, I might just use that, although I'm not sure I can troll down slowly enough with it for my kokanee needs.  I jumped in the back of the boat the other day and tried lowering the kicker and tilting the kicker, and then locking it in place.  I can do it, but it seems like a chore.  I'm in my seventies and am not sure for how long I'm gonna wanna do that.

I'll take pics of the beast Monday, when I can get better angles on the boat; it'll be in my driveway with easy access to all sides.

I don't think I actually have buyer's regret, but I do have some concerns.  Hopefully all this stuff will work itself out within my budget and I'll be smiling on the water for many years to come.

More next time.

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

ohmytodd

Well done, and thanks for sharing! Same thing happened with my first kicker (the oil in the cylinders), but luckily it was already with the mechanic when they discovered it.

Those curtains are always a tight fit, you may need to adjust the straps holding the bows in place to get all of the snaps to fit. Warmer weather helps as well. I never use the side or back curtain, but the top stays up and on pretty much year round to keep the sun off more than the rain. Once things get back to normal the hope is to ship it up to the factory for a skip top and forego the canvas altogether.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

La-Z-Buoy

Not sure about Yamaha's but you can carry Honda kickers laid down but it has to be laid on the correct side.

Yes, warm weather will help you get your snaps together, probably. And adjusting straps as needed. Older canvas seems to shrink a little.

Good luck with the kicker. At least it's not locked up because of a lack of oil. That would definitely not be good.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

GregE

You can get snap extenders- helps with that last inch.  We got white

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233021690484
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

stickball

Wow!  Snap Extenders.  Who knew?  Thanks, Greg... very useful info!

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

Pdxmgunner

Moeller 020304-10 Plug for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT95N2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

$7 10 plugs with o rings, the o ring size that fits our plugs is 3/4"

Thank me later..

DARice

Congrats on the purchase! I just happen to be kicker shopping--the 5hp Nissan that came with the my new-to me SC 17 rattles my teeth...when it runs. With two surgically-repaired shoulders, the pull-and-hope, repeat, starting method won't play.

I'm skeptical about used kickers around the PNW because they get used so much. That said, I'd much prefer to buy used. Nevertheless, I've been looking at new ones today:  8-9.9hp, long shaft, electric start, manual trim. Here are a few specs, I believe they list short shaft weights:

-Honda 8hp, 104#, carb
-Tohatsu (same as Mercury), 90.4#, carb
-Yamaha F9.9, 93#, carb
-Yamaha F9.9 High Thrust, 114#, carb
-Suzuki 9.9, 108#, EFI
-Tohatsu 9.9 106#, EFI

Island Marine has a Craigslist ad with a very large outboard inventory. But as an early 2000s vintage (legendary?) Yamaha T-8 goes for the price of a new Tohatsu 8hp that comes with a 5 year warranty, it's a tough way to fly.
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

La-Z-Buoy

I've had nothing but good luck with a Honda 8, electric start/tilt, remote control, 2006 model. Bought used about 7/8 years ago. Used it on my 17 and now on my 19.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

stickball

UPDATE:

Well, the dust has, I think, settled. 

Carbs cleaned, new hoses, many new small parts related to the carbs and the main motor. 

Swim ladder is installed. 

Both motors are now ported from the main fuel tank ( I have a brand new 6-gallon fuel tank with brand new Merc connectors and 10-feet of hose, along with 5 gallons of fresh, clear fuel if anyone is interested...),

Spare tire is mounted, although I still need to get a lock for the tire,

Both motors are tied together via a very substantial tie-rod system,

Both motors run well and have good compression. 

I decided to keep the trolling plate; was gonna sell it, but the mechanic sorta suggested that I might have a bit of trouble trolling down to 1.3mph with the 9.9 kicker... so I figured I'd keep the plate and see how that helps slow me down.  If at all.  If that doesn't work, I'll get another sea anchor (the boat came with just one of them...).

The trolling motor bracket is quite substantial, and that makes me feel secure.  Sounds dumb, I know.... But it does.  Also installed one of those bar locks that encloses both screws that secure the kicker to the mount. 

I'm gonna use the 9.9 kicker, but I still think I wanna swap it out for something with electric start/trim.  If anyone knows of one available, preferably an 8hp, please let me know.

I think I'm really gonna like this little boat.

2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington