Author Topic: Building a New Top  (Read 1014 times)

Offline woody

Building a New Top
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »
I've been meaning to post this for "years" just came back to me.

When getting your top done, insist on the black plastic fasteners and couplers. Avoid the pretty shiny s/s expensive ones.

Reason:  Any trauma to your top, backing into the garage with top up, low overhangs, etc. will allow most of the damage to remain comcentrated to these fasteners and not the bows. Unfortunately the original Arima "peg" will still generate most of the force to your bows, but do what you can to make the weakest link the fastenrs, not the s/s bows. Talk it over with your canvas man. Easore to replace these then s/s bows.

Woody

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
Re: Building a New Top
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
Woody... Are you referring to fasteners as in Jaw slides and eye ends and deck hinges? using  Darelin nylon instead of stainless fittings?
not the snaps themselves.?.I assume..?

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »

Good advice. I have a cheap plastic antenna mount. In my old age I have CRS and have hit it several times. The plastic teeth give and no harm done. I know if I had the stainless mounts, I would have damaged something.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline woody

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
Yes Gary.  The female receivers on the boat and the male ends on the bow ends.  Basically use thee "black nylon/plastics".  Simply believe avoiding s/s is best.  The nylon/plastic will beak and are easily replaced.  s/s won't and you end up putting some extra bows in your bows.  Even with the appropriate jig it's difficult to rebend to orignial configuration.

Woody