News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

battery Group Size

Started by Bloodbath, February 24, 2020, 08:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodbath

planning to replace my batteries on my 1998 Sea ranger. the past owner has 2 24dc marine batteries in. does anyone know if I can install a 27dc or 31dc marine battery in?  I want more juice so I can leave the spreader lights on longer without running out. also if you can recommend a battery brand would be great!

Thanks
98 Arima Sea Ranger 17ft
2006 Suzuki 115

DevMah

I'm running two 27 on mine, had to replace the battery trays to accommodate, I tried the 31 but was to tight....

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Mooch

When I upsized from Group 34's, I found 24's were as big as I could go with two side by side.  I think 27 and 31's were just too long.  Things are tight enough as is.  Any bigger and I think you'd have to move one battery over to another position, like port sponson. 

As far as brands, Odyssey, NorthStar, Optima, Deka Marine and East Penn are all good.  Interstate are popular for flooded.  A lot of the other labels you see, including many house brands, are made by East Penn.  I went with West Marine, which are East Penn, because they run good sales periodically.  They're currently 15% off.  More than brand, I'd consider retail support.

Good luck.

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

davidsea

I'm running two group 27's, one on each side, still enough room portside for an inverter.  I sleep on the boat, so I need enough reserve power for lots of lighting, refrigerator, and entertainment - group 24's wouldn't be adequate.  Interstate deep-cycles from Costco are a bargain, with good warranty and local service.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Bloodbath

Quote from: davidsea on February 24, 2020, 02:54:07 PM
  I'm running two group 27's, one on each side, still enough room portside for an inverter.  I sleep on the boat, so I need enough reserve power for lots of lighting, refrigerator, and entertainment - group 24's wouldn't be adequate.  Interstate deep-cycles from Costco are a bargain, with good warranty and local service.

Thank you. That's what I have now are 2 24dc interstate batteries from Costco. I'm going to upgrade to 2-27dc batteries and install Blue Sea system charging, also going to get some solar panels when I'm not using the boat it can trickle charge the battery.
98 Arima Sea Ranger 17ft
2006 Suzuki 115

DevMah

Here are pics of my sliding tray ( Wryguys design with the exception of 4 slides instead of 2).

2 group 27 deeps fit no problems.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold