News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Ice Finder? Educate me!

Started by Salmon King, February 14, 2020, 11:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

My boy has asked me for a Fishfinder strictly for Ice Fishing (he lives in Colorado).
I know NOTHING about what to look for in an ice fishing depth finder so I'm turning to the brotherhood to educate me on what to look for (or stay away from).
Knowing him his budget is on the low end of things so I need to look at used finders for sure.
I know some of you have experience with these so how about sharing with me?

Thanks all!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

AJFishin

Not sure if I'm much of help here, but I remember when I bought my Humminbird HELIX 5 G2 fish finder, a lot of people commented how they liked using it for ice fishing. I know they also bought some kind of "stand" or what not, that it sat in so they could place it on the ice. 🤷‍♂️
That's about all of my knowledge. :redface:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Danno

Quote from: AJFishin on February 14, 2020, 12:29:28 PM
Not sure if I'm much of help here, but I remember when I bought my Humminbird HELIX 5 G2 fish finder, a lot of people commented how they liked using it for ice fishing. I know they also bought some kind of "stand" or what not, that it sat in so they could place it on the ice. 🤷‍♂️
That's about all of my knowledge. :redface:

:yeahthat:

My Arima came with a similar Hummingbird Helix and while research the Humminbird web site they have products specifically marketed for ice fishing. Hummingbird products also fit the economic budget request.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

GregE

I have one.  Judy bought it thinking it was a standard FF.  I've never cranked it up but it looks complete.
Make you a deal
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

Quote from: GregE on February 14, 2020, 01:10:22 PM
I have one.  Judy bought it thinking it was a standard FF.  I've never cranked it up but it looks complete.
Make you a deal

GREG...sent you another PM...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

GregE

Thanks
I'll dig it out-  it's hiding in the shop
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

I would avoid the make used on Titantic, unless you are looking for ice   :rimshot:
Streamfixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu