News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lures for chinook salmon trolling

Started by Bigfish1!, February 13, 2020, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfish1!

I'm doing a little off season shopping and am looking for a ,"Rapala", style hard bait.  I'm using down riggers so I think a lipless lure would be best.  I also have to fish with single barbless hooks.  I'm looking for a lure that I can run at 3-4 MPH to search for fish.  Any suggestions, thanks, BF1

Jeff

Great Lakes guys run J-Plugs, maybe you could convert one to single hooks?
1989 Sea Sprinter
2005 Yamaha 60hp  ***Sold***

1989 Sea Chaser
2013 Honda 90hp *** 2020 Yamaha 9.9

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Mooch

Tomic or Silver Horde salmon plugs are salmon kryptonite.

https://tomiclure.com/lures/classics/

https://www.silverhorde.com/silver-horde.html

All work well at 3-4 mph.  Distance from DR release will increase search action at depth.  I like @ 50'.  Lots of colors, but white, dbl glo & pearl are universal.   Rattles and UV are also popular options.  Tomics with fixed eye can also be rigged for max action at different speeds.

I won't leave home without one.  Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Hunter

Plus 1 on the J Plugs..... which are pretty much the same thing as tomics and silver hoards....     OR..... you could try my special lure that no -one other than those that have seen it work...    The old church-key special.   Laugh all you want but it works.   Make one up and next time you're out, run it alongside the boat and check out the action.     Has to be the round end towards the rod so requires drilling a hole on the pointy end so you can connect a single barbless hook with a small split ring. 

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=7684.msg87953;topicseen#msg87953

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

StreamFixer

Maintenance on that thing is a bitch.  Will rust in a heart beat...  Question though, does one of those with 'experience' out perform new???    :rimshot:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Hunter

No maintenance other than coating with WD-40 and then rinse when done.   Folks who think this lure is BS should most definitely never try it.    :rimshot:
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Bigfish1!

FisherDV, Northern California, Mooch, just what I was looking for, I had heard of the Tomic but not the Silver Hoard, they look great.  Hunter, that thing looks way to complicated, probably never get it to spin right.  Thanks for the info guys, BF1

Fisherdv

I was curious where you are fishing because different areas, ocean, rivers, lakes call for different techniques and different rigs. Also varying regulations/seasons.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Hunter's church key jig looks very close to the artificial Sand Eel jigs that many people use to catch Haddock here on the East Coast.  Might just have to add a little weight.  I'd be willing to bet the Haddock wouldn't know the difference.  I'm not kidding. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

I ALWAYS take everything you post as the Gospel truth Yat...  I am sure everyone else does too.   :stooges:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Well..........I have to confess, it's taken quite a while to finally get you guys thinking straight.   I must admit though, in the end, the effort was certainly worth it.   Like I said, you're gonna miss me.   Ha

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GoodDays

Plugs will do what you are looking for. Tomic makes a quality product and has almost any colour and size you can imagine. ! 

GoodDays Greg

Pdxmgunner

I had great success with Brads original super baits, I ran two single hooks.  Rolls like a plug cut herring and you can pack with tuna or scent or nothing.

FishBio

+1 on the Brad's super baits. They account for a lot of fish on my boat.
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.

Bigfish1!

Thanks for the tips guys.  The Brads are available OTC here so I'll pick up a couple of them.  It's always fun to give a new rig a try.  I haven't found the Tomic or Silver horde plugs here local so will have to order them.
      I was at Englund Marine today and they have a very good selection of the Silver horde Hoochi's with several different kinds of glow inserts.  I always fish the hoochi's with an anchovy but talked to some guys last year who were having success with just a dark green hoochi with a glow insert.  The chinook were really deep on the krill last year so a lure without the anchovy, (they don't hold up real well down at 150 feet or deeper), may be a better way to go.  Anyone every fish with just the hoochi?  BF1

Mooch

Hootchies are very effective on salmon.  We use them often but only WITH a flasher to give them action.  Leader distance can affect action and success.  Out here kings like leaders on the longer side, like 42-48".   Also, smelly jelly or small strip of bait helps.  Add skirt if you want bigger profile.  As far as flashers, I'm happy to report the new UV LED lighted versions are very effective at depth and not a gimmick as I first thought. 

https://www.protroll.com/copy-of-lighted-flashers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msqvWB_UBbw

Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

ohmytodd

There's a new Yakima Bait version of the superbait style lure that came out late last year. I like it better because it doesn't have the clamshell style opening and rubber bands to content with - this new model has a chamber in the center and the two sides slide together.

They came out too late last year to give them a real shot, but I'll be giving them a spin this fall. A spin, get it? :rimshot:
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: Mooch on February 26, 2020, 08:35:47 PM
Hootchies are very effective on salmon.  We use them often but only WITH a flasher to give them action.  Leader distance can affect action and success.  Out here kings like leaders on the longer side, like 42-48".   Also, smelly jelly or small strip of bait helps.  Add skirt if you want bigger profile.  As far as flashers, I'm happy to report the new UV LED lighted versions are very effective at depth and not a gimmick as I first thought. 

https://www.protroll.com/copy-of-lighted-flashers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msqvWB_UBbw

Good luck.

Hoochies were also effective for coho and Chinook.

Zarn

IMHO... fishing outside TB for a quite a while... Nothing beats a whole greenie w/ tttight spin, red trailer #4-5 gami. Slow as ya go...
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

polarbill1999

Anybody familiar with King kandy lures.  Their whole and cut plug herring options look interesting. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Bigfish1!

Zarn,
     I've been called a lot of things but that Imho really hurts. Not sure where TB is,  Not sure I want to know what the whole greenie is your sspinning in the red trailer.  Gami makes us all slow as we go.  ( Just kidding, your tag line made me laugh).  Thanks for the info, BF1

GregE

Green label herring pack

I have some of the King Candy lures- haven't fished them much.  they do look good

TB ??
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Sugar_Magnolia

I believe TB = Tillamook Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 21' Arima Skip Tower 140 HP Suzuki

fishmiester

I have a couple of King Kandy plugs that I have tried down here in Willapa Bay, with no love, but 2 years ago when the coastal salmon season opened for LaPush (Marine area 3) the kings were still out in deep water, as they usually are and some guys were running them at 250 feet and bringing some nice fish. Hot spot flasher with 50 inches of leader.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat