News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

What is it worth?

Started by Chief of the Boat, February 13, 2020, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief of the Boat

This older gentlemen that I met when I worked at Defiance is currently under Hospice care and his Wife reached out to me on what his Arima is worth.
It is a 1986 Sea Chaser 17 that he bought new at the Seattle Boat show.  In 2014 he had it re-powered with a E-Tech 75, Evinrude 9.9 (Tohatsu) electric start with power tilt, Defiance installed new canvas, two Scotty downriggers, outboard counter-top and starboard panels aft.  The poor guy never took it out once since all this work was done and it has sat since then.  Installed new batteries in it for him in 2017 and started both motors.  I posted a bunch of pictures I took on Sunday in my Gallery under 1986 Sea Chaser. 
Take care,
Terry

GoodDays

Cleaned up and put back together, that boat would be a solid 12-13 thousand Canadian in the Vancouver Island market.  The 75 is a bit underpowered for Ocean fishing but its a nice package. 

Sad post ! Sad to see someones much loved baby in that condition.  Its all cosmetic though and nothing a weekend of cleaning cant fix.  trip to a professional detail shop for a clean and wax would be a well invested $3-$500..

GoodDays Greg

Mooch

Looks like a diamond in the rough that would really shine after getting a wash and a warm home. 
Terry, very nice of you to help this man and his family out in their time of need. 
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Yachter Yat

Chief:  Good on you for helping this guy.   But, WOW, would you pass the bleach please?   Lotta moisture in that yard, or what?  I'd cut some trees to start with.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

First Cabin

That's a tough one.  It's worth a lot more if it's cleaned up and you don't know the history.....

If it were cleaned up and everything running good, it would be over $10k I imagine.  But if I know it has been sitting that long, who really knows the condition of those motors?  I'm not interested in Etecs that may be rusting from the inside.  The motors are just such a gamble.  Personally they have no value to me because I don't trust them.

Maybe someone lives close and is willing to give the boat a weekend scrubbing to help the family? 
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

GregE

Sad circumstance-  good of you to help.
Read somewhere you get back you $$ spent in detailing with the increase in 'curb appeal'.  Haven't done it other than a lot of time cleaning things up.  She's pretty mossy and needled up

'86 SC  nice deck size, older chine, tall front rail +
I don't know when the E Tec problems occurred.  Some like them-  never appealed to me so don't have a sense of value.  Probably minimal hours which may Not be good on a 6 yo motor- though you ran it a couple years ago
Kicker bracket is probably 2 cycle design. -
No electronics worth anything --
King trailer is a plus +  bearings/ tires ?
Canvas looks ok
clamshell pedestal seats. -
portable gas tank  -
factory mounted downriggers ++
Two batteries + 
no wiring/ fuse upgrade  -

Sound one owner boat with potential.  It would probably do well on AO
I've no boat auction experience
Guess  17K as she sits   Assuming the motors are sound
18 cleaned up

I'm sure there are others who would be more in touch with this model and motor
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

Sounds like a great boat!  I have no problem applying elbow grease to a ne used boat!  Looks like a nice one.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

I would pay a detailer to polish it....and hire a mechanic to document the condition of the motors.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

As someone who's first arima was in rough shape like that I know how much work it is to restore it back to nice condition.
In my opinion as it sits it's Probly worth 8 grand running cleaned up and turnkey its Probly worth 11-13 grand but I think even that's a strech for an older hual.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

headduck

Seems like a couple options...let it go cheap to flipper or someone with a bit of time...6-8 Or clean it, run it, document it and try to get the 12-14 out of come spring time.

Seems that it depends if they really need the extra bit of money or they value the time and space.

I betcha ya a bit of washing (not even detailing) will make a huge difference. Crazy how much the appearance of neglect can cost.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

La-Z-Buoy

All cleaned up, 10-14. Me personally, the drawbacks are no factory fuel tank, 75 main, and, even cleaned up, there is a lot of updating to do, wiring update, does everything work, bilge pump, wiper, etc.

Good boat for folks that would like to make it their own.

Nice of you to do that for them Chief. I've got two widow ladies on the block that have boats in their garages that need to be sold. They've asked me to look at them to see what I think their worth. Good luck.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Markshoreline

Ha ha lazbuoy
Most of us will eventually have widows liquidating our estates.  Just like I planned it!  :jester: :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

I'm sure you've all seen  this:   "Older gentlemen seeking widow with boat, for companionship.  Please send photo of boat."   Ha

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

Quote from: Markshoreline on February 15, 2020, 10:24:18 PM
Most of us will eventually have widows liquidating our estates.
And the really sad part is, they'll be selling the boat and fishing gear for 1/2 of what we told them we bought it for.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

headduck

Quote from: Mooch on February 16, 2020, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: Markshoreline on February 15, 2020, 10:24:18 PM
Most of us will eventually have widows liquidating our estates.
And the really sad part is, they'll be selling the boat and fishing gear for 1/2 of what we told them we bought it for.

And it'll still be twice what its worth...
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

beancounter

All that filth film is actually probably protecting the boat and it will clean up better than you think. I bought a 21 once from a guy that left it stored outside uncovered and it was right on the landing and takeoff path for Newark,NJ airport. That boat was almost black from all the jet exhaust/particulates falling on it. It cleaned up nice and we fished it at Neah Bay before selling it.