News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

"Who Needs Transom Tie-downs anyway?"

Started by Old No7, January 26, 2020, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

I just replaced my two over-center transom straps as the old ones had seen too much sun damage. I was surprised to see that they'll ad and break strengths for available straps to be quite low. I bought the heavy duty ones from. West Marine and they list a capacity of 2,000 lbs per pair. I'd feel better if I could find a pair that list about 3,000 lbs each but couldn't find any. BTW, that's real strength. The working load is 675lbs for the pair.

What capacity should I use?
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Scottjohnson59

Well I think freedom of choice is a good thing BUT and it is a big one let me say what happened to me in 1996. I was headed north around lake Crescent the speed limit was 35 I was towing my 1995 15 foot whaler behind my motorhome. I got hit head on by a couple in a sportscar Mitsubishi GT 3000 estimated speed me around 15 at time of impact them 60 I saw them coming and slowed and sideswiped the lakeside guardrail trying to avoid the head on. They hit me right in the drivers front wheel. The impact was incredible they literally flew backwards 50 feet after hitting me. Totaled my motorhome the boat was securely strapped down to trailer but the trailer tongue failed and the trailer with boat tilted up and swiveled to the right and ended up sitting on the trailer on top of the guardrail next to the lake. Except for a 2.5 gal gas tank that came out of the boat I lost nothing. The trailer was trashed my boat was not totaled not even a scratch. I did bust one rear strap now my whaler is only 2000 lbs my Arima is heavier but both my boats get winch strap to eye, safety chain to eye and rear transom tie downs think of a sledge hammer hitting you in the arse at exactly the wrong time. Strap your stuff down my kids were in that motorhome your kids could be in the way of a flying boat if you don't. I don't use cheap straps either the heavy duty yellow ones that are rated 3000 lbs each breaking strength cost more but its worth it.
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

disposable

Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp