News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trailer Jack Help

Started by croaker stroker, February 08, 2020, 11:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I need to replace my trailer jack. The saltwater use has taken it's toll. There are a lot of options.

What do you guys have and why do you like your jack ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

I would only buy one with a grease fitting. Keeping fresh grease in there will extend the life. Alas, the trailer under my Arima didn't come with one so we'll see how long it lasts.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Mine had a grease fitting. Greased regularly. Poor quality. 👎🏻

The caster never swiveled well either.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

Currently using a Trailer Valet, because I need to be able to park the boat without using the car - nice if you need that , but spendy @ $450.   On my last trailer I used a Fulton F2 for 9 years with no issues except some paint peeling.  Again, spendy,  but really worth it for longevity, quality, and ease of use.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Fulton/F1413020134.html
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

mustang65fbk

I bought this one either the first year I bought my boat, 2017 or the second year, 2018.  I've had it for a few years now, haven't had any issues, found it online for less and had West Marine price match it for me.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fulton--1500lb-xlt-swing-away-trailer-jack--14916233?recordNum=6
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

croaker stroker

Good info. Thanks. I think I like the Fulton F2. I looked at that one before, but never noticed that the mounting height was adjustable. I think I may be able to get a little more height from that one. Gotta get the nose way up on the Arima for drainage.

I have a PowerCaster which works great to move the boat....even more than $450.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

mustang65fbk

I looked at the F2 when I was purchasing mine. In the end I decided to go with the one I went with because I heard the smaller dual wheels don't work well on gravel, which our beach cabin has a gravel driveway or parking strip. Several people had said the smaller, dual wheels would just plow through the gravel instead of actually spinning. Between that and the less than favorable reviews I figured I'd go with the other option. Also, the F2" has 13" of extension, whereas my jack has 12". The difference is pretty minimal and if you really did need the extra height I'm sure you could put a 6x6" or something similar underneath it. The one thing that attracted me to the F2 is the lifetime warranty but I stick with my decision.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Yachter Yat

Croaker;  Like some have said.....F2.   Hard to beat that Fulton F2 series.  Best one I've ever owned.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ohmytodd

Another vote for the F2, a neighbor has one and loves it. When my current jack gets tired that's my go-to pick.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Zagman

Just put the Fulton F2 on my Sea Legends trailer last May. Love it. Now my wife can crank it up without much effort.  As far as corrosion, can't say as it gets  to salt water only a couple times a year.

2006 Sea Legend 22, Honda 150, King trailer

croaker stroker

Thanks everyone. I ordered the F2.

Seachoice also has a similar one for around the same price....but Fulton is made in USA.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

digitalfella

I haven't tackled the jack issue on my new to me Arima 17, but will do so soon.  I will be towing it behind my Dually-Cabover combo.  When using this combo, I'll always unhook the trailer when overnighting to ease ingress-egress from the camper.  So having a good wheel system on the jack is really important so I can bring the trailer to hitch by hand in a campground and ease hookup.  Up to now, I've been towing a smaller boat.  In my research, most of the jack wheels are a real afterthought and totally incapable of doing what I need.  So, I thought I would make something.  Starting with a 8" pneumatic swivel caster (sealed bearings thank you) I cut the foot off the typical little Fulton POS jack and built enough hardware to make a removable wheel and foot creation.  What I found out was this is a lot harder than I thought to get the geometry right so it will swivel properly when in use.  Using a multitude of different wedge angles from 15-45 degrees to help it, I never did really get it 100% to my satisfaction.  Now the same thing starts over with the much heavier Arima.

So what is your jackwheel solution?  I haven't seen a stock wheel that does what I need (yet).  I'd love to have something that will work on packed gravel, so probably should be pneumatic.  But haven't seen anything yet to improve on my partial success as described.

DF
1982 Sea Chaser 17', 75hp Honda, 8hp Honda
Retired boat repair guy, located in Anacortes, WA.

Mooch

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

headduck

This year is the first with the F2.

In the past I got 2 seasons at most out of the POS typical Jack's. If I get 3 seasons out of the F2 I consider it a win.

Sure wish these weren't designed for obsolescence...like every other GD thing in today's society.

They POS's aren't that cheap either.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)