News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

American made gear search

Started by Svinny88, February 08, 2020, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Tunacious

I think this is related.  I cook my fish on it.

I live in Dallas Oregon.

A company here in town making all American made, wood pellet grills. 

There are very much like a Traeger Grill which was also made here in Oregon until it was sold.

The Mak Grill is expensive but a big step up from the Traeger Grill

https://makgrills.com

GoodDays

While not American, These companies are just across the border in Canada  ;-)    Peetz, AP Tackleworks, and TOMIC.    All of them are great local Vancouver Island , Canadian Made products !!   

GoodDays Greg

Mooch

Quote from: GoodDays on February 10, 2020, 08:23:03 AM
While not American, These companies are just across the border in Canada  ;-)    Peetz, AP Tackleworks, and TOMIC.    All of them are great local Vancouver Island , Canadian Made products !!   

GoodDays Greg

Islander reels too.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Wiley

I believe Lamiglas rods are made in Idaho. Great warranty. I love there steelhead rods..
and +1 for Avet...
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

GoodDays

:facepalm:  how could I forget Islander Reels !!!    :yeahthat:

GoodDays Greg

Fishgriller

Prolite and Edge rods are made here in WA.  I saw both at the sportsman show, they felt awesome.  Will hopefully upgrade to them in the near future. Lamiglas is a mixed bag, the less expensive ones are made in China but still seem to be high quality, the higher priced ones are made here, their website states which models are USA made. I've been using Reaction Tackle braid like it very much.  The company is in Wisconsin and the braid ships from there, but I cannot find anywhere on the packaging the country of manufacturing.

2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Scottjohnson59

I support my local stores, I buy locally, I prefer American made products. I have never missed voting in an election since I was old enough to vote. I was a manufacturing manager and managed American workers, the best in the world. Bruce Springsteen said it all with BORN IN THE USA.
THAT SAID  I will not use a product that is inferior just to buy a product that was made in America. Scotty down riggers smoke the American made ones. Why should I reward poor American business and political decisions, I wont America has the best. If business don't want to use the resources available to them to build better products cheaper and faster in America I wont buy them sorry I want to have the stuff that works and I shouldn't have to suffer for the foolish decisions made by American manufacturers and the purchased political powers that be companies are getting away with murder in the name of profit.
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

Tj805

Seeker rods for sure !!!
Also avet and calstar rods.
Love me some made in America things !
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Tunacious on February 10, 2020, 05:55:34 AM

I live in Dallas Oregon.

There are very much like a Traeger Grill which was also made here in Oregon until it was sold.

Damn... for that price I'll stick with my Traeger.  I like the fact that those are made in the USA but goodness not when their cheapest smoker is more than 3x the price of my Traeger.  Traeger customer service has been hit or miss over the years that my parents and I have owned them.  Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's mediocre.  I bought a new one I believe two years at Costco though and it's been phenomenal so far, knock on wood.  It's called the Traeger Silverton and I love how they've added a bunch of different things to it.  First, everything on the outside is powder coated instead of just painted.  Now it won't rust like the previous models are known for doing.  It has a larger pellet hopper on the side but it's deeper now instead of making it wider.  It's got a front and side shelf that both came with it at no extra charge and it's got doors and shelves on the bottom, which more resembles a bbq.  Which is nice so you can keep things out of the rain or weather, like a bag or two of pellets.  They have a new electrical components like the control board and control panel on the outside, new internals to keep the cooking temperatures more accurate and so on.  I bought mine at the Traeger roadshow that they had at Costco for just over $500 and they threw in a free grill cover as well as a bag of pellets, cookbooks, rubs and spices, extra temperature probes and so on.  I know they're made in China now, that being said, I've been very happy with it so far.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Fishgriller

Quote from: mustang65fbk on February 16, 2020, 12:04:08 PM

I live in Dallas Oregon.

Damn... for that price I'll stick with my Traeger.  I like the fact that those are made in the USA but goodness not when their cheapest smoker is more than 3x the price of my Traeger.  Traeger customer service has been hit or miss over the years that my parents and I have owned them.  Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's mediocre.  I bought a new one I believe two years at Costco though and it's been phenomenal so far, knock on wood.  It's called the Traeger Silverton and I love how they've added a bunch of different things to it.  First, everything on the outside is powder coated instead of just painted.  Now it won't rust like the previous models are known for doing.  It has a larger pellet hopper on the side but it's deeper now instead of making it wider.  It's got a front and side shelf that both came with it at no extra charge and it's got doors and shelves on the bottom, which more resembles a bbq.  Which is nice so you can keep things out of the rain or weather, like a bag or two of pellets.  They have a new electrical components like the control board and control panel on the outside, new internals to keep the cooking temperatures more accurate and so on.  I bought mine at the Traeger roadshow that they had at Costco for just over $500 and they threw in a free grill cover as well as a bag of pellets, cookbooks, rubs and spices, extra temperature probes and so on.  I know they're made in China now, that being said, I've been very happy with it so far.

I agree, that is quite a price difference.  I also bought a small Traeger through Costco several years ago and it has served me well.  When I wanted to get a larger pellet smoker, I did some research and went with RECTEC.  RECTEC is also an American company with smokers built in China, and similar prices to Traeger.  However, while Traeger I bought was pretty good, the RECTEC blows it away, much better controller +\- 5 degree swings as opposed to 20-40, and more sturdy construction.  Customer service is awesome, I had an issue with the WiFi connection to the controller and their tech stayed in the phone with me to resolve the issue for 1.5 hours after their department closed.

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Fishgriller on February 16, 2020, 04:04:50 PM
Quote from: mustang65fbk on February 16, 2020, 12:04:08 PM

I live in Dallas Oregon.

I agree, that is quite a price difference.  I also bought a small Traeger through Costco several years ago and it has served me well.  When I wanted to get a larger pellet smoker, I did some research and went with RECTEC.  RECTEC is also an American company with smokers built in China, and similar prices to Traeger.  However, while Traeger I bought was pretty good, the RECTEC blows it away, much better controller +\- 5 degree swings as opposed to 20-40, and more sturdy construction.  Customer service is awesome, I had an issue with the WiFi connection to the controller and their tech stayed in the phone with me to resolve the issue for 1.5 hours after their department closed.

My buddy has an older Traeger grill and he bought an aftermarket controller, it might be the Rec Tec brand you're talking about, to replace the Traeger controller.  I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of the Traeger controller with the knob and only being able to adjust it by 25 degrees or whatever it is.  It also can be frustrating at times if your Traeger fluctuates up/down 25 degrees or more... although with my Silverton it's usually always within 10 or so degrees, which I have absolutely no problem with and I don't do competition bbq where I need it at exactly a certain temperature.  I've never personally used another temperature controller but I guess they're the way to go and I just haven't gotten around to doing it personally on mine yet.  I honestly don't really need the wi-fi controller for any reason, although it might come in handy every once in awhile to be able to start it up inside while you're prepping whatever you're about to smoke.  Although I've got mine in the garage so I'd have to roll it outside, take the cover off and get it ready anyway.  So that wouldn't save me much time or effort.  I had mixed customer service with Traeger... sometimes they'd stay after hours talking to me about issues I'd had on my previous grilles as well.  After 2-3 years they sent us pretty much every replacement part possible, for free, with the exception of the shell of the grill.  They sent a new hopper, burner, firebox and so on to us at no additional cost.  Other times they dropped the ball big time... I guess it just depends on who you talked to in their customer service department.  For me, the biggest reason for going with another Traeger is because Costco sells them.  We had our previous Traeger for probably 5 years or more, as mentioned above we had more than a couple issues with it in that time but we took it back to Costco for a full refund where we exchanged it for a brand new Traeger.  And I'd do it all over again as Costco has a phenomenal return policy.  I'm sure there are definitely better grille's out there, and companies with better customer service.  That being said... it's almost impossible to beat Costco's return policy and their customer service.  I know that if I were to have an issue with my grill at anytime and Traeger didn't want to help me out that I could take it back to Costco no questions asked.  Lastly, looking at the Rec Tec grilles on their website... they seem like a decent grill although it shows that their cheapest grill is $599 and is only 340sq inches of cooking space and has a 2 year warranty.  The Traeger Silverton is less money, I believe mine was around $550, and has 615sq inches of cooking space as well as a 3 year warranty.  It's not until you get to the grilles which are almost $1000 for Rec Tec where you get more than a 2 year warranty.  For me, I'll stick with Traeger.

Peddler

FWIW, you can't assume that any certain brand (G.Loomis, Lamiglass, etc.) makes ALL of their rods on the US. Both have US production, and import production. It will vary by series, and typically by price point.

Also, there are NO rod guide manufacturers in the US. So no rod can be 100% "Made is USA."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

croaker stroker

At the risk of becoming political, I think manufacturers should not be allowed to stamp their products "Made in USA" unless the product is 100%.

Still, Seeker and others are struggling to compete with Phenix, Okuma, etc. which are 100% made elsewhere.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 17, 2020, 10:20:08 AM

At the risk of becoming political, I think manufacturers should not be allowed to stamp their products "Made in USA" unless the product is 100%.

Still, Seeker and others are struggling to compete with Phenix, Okuma, etc. which are 100% made elsewhere.

Doesn't sound political to me at all.  I agree that I think companies will oftentimes use phrases like "manufactured in the USA" or "designed in the USA" on purpose when they're actually using overseas components or parts but are assembled in the US.  It seems like that tends to muddy the water a bit and confuses me as well as I'm sure others.  I agree though, they should only be able to put "Made in the USA" if it was completely made in the US with American made parts. 

ohmytodd

It's a little known fact that even Leupold, an old client of mine and one of the most staunch "made in USA" brands for many years is not actually 100% true. The vast majority of their glass comes from overseas, primarily China due to the dirty manufacturing process for optics glass. Some of their lines are assembled here, but some are 100% Asian production lines. As long as a company maintains a percentage of products designed and assembled in-country they can make the Made in USA claim. Heck, having worked in advertising for decades, any company can make any claim they want to until someone gets wise to it. More times than not they get away with it.

Unless you made it yourself, you have no real idea where something came from in its entirety.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Fishgriller

Quote from: mustang65fbk on February 19, 2020, 12:24:11 PM
Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 17, 2020, 10:20:08 AM

Doesn't sound political to me at all.  I agree that I think companies will oftentimes use phrases like "manufactured in the USA" or "designed in the USA" on purpose when they're actually using overseas components or parts but are assembled in the US.  It seems like that tends to muddy the water a bit and confuses me as well as I'm sure others.  I agree though, they should only be able to put "Made in the USA" if it was completely made in the US with American made parts.

Car/truck manufacturers have been doing this for years.  To have a car or truck labeled made in USA, they need only 75% US and Canadian parts content, doesn't say anything about design and R&D.  Thus American vehicles can be imports and foreign nameplates can be American according to these rules.

Markshoreline

Since Canada is also in North America I consider their products "American".  Love my Scottys!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fishgriller

Quote from: Markshoreline on February 19, 2020, 07:49:59 PM
Since Canada is also in North America I consider their products "American".  Love my Scottys!

My thoughts exactly

Fisherdv

Not exactly gear related, but we all need a few tools on the boat. Are Craftsman tools still made in USA?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸