News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Boat Bugs

Started by AJFishin, January 27, 2020, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

My friend who usually goes with me lobstering hasn't been able to because of work, but back in October my neighbors son Mike asked if he could go with me, and after pulling his first lobster he was hooked. Since we've gone out pretty much every other week and did well, up till Christmas.

Since Christmas haven't done any fishing and earlier this month Mike became a proud dad and is taking the rest of the season off. But yesterday I got a call form my friend who usually goes with me and said lets get some bugs !

So last night we headed out, had our hoops in the water by 5pm, and for the first hour we had a sea lion hanging out next to the boat, trying to get a free meal. He finally got frustrated and dragged one of my hoops out in the Long Beach harbor, never to be seen again. :facepalm:  :jester:

But after that things got better, 4 keepers, 5 shorts, and a spider crab, so we decided to call it a night and back home by 10:30. It was great to be back on the water again !  :party017:

Last nights catch:

Mikes first lobster back in October.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Hunter

Nice.....

So AJ..... your profile says Alhambra, CA..     I'm thinking you needed be at least down towards Santa Barbara to get these bugs..
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

SB Steve

Those are some beautiful bugs Jeremy!! :beerchug:

croaker stroker

Drawn butter and Sour Dough bread.  😋
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Very nice AJ! I can taste the lobster and melted butter through my iPad screen!  :food:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Hunter, yes I'm roughly about 2 hours south of Santa Barbara and 30 minutes directly north of Long Beach.

They definitely tasted delicious  :food: :jester:

Hunter

That's kinda what I figured AJ..   When I saw Alhambra, it really brought back some memories.   I don't know if you're from there...but I played Football and Baseball for Piedmont Highschool (70 to 73) and we were in the Foothill Athletic League along with Alhambra, Miramonte, Campolindo, Del Valle, Pittsburg, etc...   Damn Del Valle was flipp'n unbeatable back then. 

Anyway... nice bugs for sure.  Since we're talking bugs, I just took a pic of a pic in my office of my 13.5 lb'r that I caught in 1994 and won the Truth Aquatics Mobster Lobster contest that year.    That's my dive buddy Darrel on the left with a couple of keepers that are MUCH better eating than mine.  The rules were simple.  All entries must be caught by hand using no mechanism or instrument other than gloves and a catch bag.  The sad memory of this is that the operation I was diving on was the same that burned in October 2019 killing all divers aboard the vessel Concepcion.  But life goes on and I know without doubt that all of the divers on that boat would wish nothing less than living life to the fullest for all of us...... because that's how divers roll.   

All Garmin Electronics

Wiley

Very nice catch indeed... and 👍🏻👍🏻Two thumbs up for both in PFD's
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Scottjohnson59

worked a job in Biscayne bay Florida we would boil a water pot melt the butter- garlic sauce and send over a diver took 5 minutes to get all we could eat man we ate good those were the daze that was a great catch way to go
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

croaker stroker

Just saw a news report....the Corona Virus in China is affecting the commercial Lobster price.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/kcrw-features/coronavirus-threatens-california-lobster-industry

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 14, 2020, 11:22:52 AM

Just saw a news report....the Corona Virus in China is affecting the commercial Lobster price.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/kcrw-features/coronavirus-threatens-california-lobster-industry

Yep and Florida is affected by it too. Spiny lobsters are a delicacy in China.

croaker stroker

Better than Maine Lobster IMO.  :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Yachter Yat

It's ok Fisher.  Croaker took a swing and missed.  I almost feel sorry for 'em. Haha    See...I've never found lobster particularly appetizing.  Many years ago I used to eat it, but only now and then.   I haven't eaten it for years.  In fact I can tell you:  The last time I ate lobster was in the summer of 1997.  Haven't touched it since.  I used to work and fish with a guy who was born, and grew up along the Coast of Maine.  It was funny cause when asked if he liked it, his answer was always the same; he said he tried it cooked and prepared in every form you can imagine, but still couldn't stand it.  Lobster is one of those foods, you know.......like sauerkraut........you either like it, or you can't stand it.  Ha

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hunter

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 14, 2020, 05:11:27 PM
  It's ok Fisher.  Croaker took a swing and missed.  I almost feel sorry for 'em. Haha    See...I've never found lobster particularly appetizing.  Many years ago I used to eat it, but only now and then.   I haven't eaten it for years.  In fact I can tell you:  The last time I ate lobster was in the summer of 1997.  Haven't touched it since.  I used to work and fish with a guy who was born, and grew up along the Coast of Maine.  It was funny cause when asked if he liked it, his answer was always the same; he said he tried it cooked and prepared in every form you can imagine, but still couldn't stand it.  Lobster is one of those foods, you know.......like sauerkraut........you either like it, or you can't stand it.  Ha Yat

I agree with this....  even cardboard tastes good if you put butter and garlic on it.    Try tasting lobster with no butter and it's really not all that great......    But..... I will tell you that Dungeness Crab, eaten right out of the shell is really sweet and delicious... 

I would take a LB of Dungeness crab meat over a LB of lobster any day....     
All Garmin Electronics

Yachter Yat

We always had to "disguise it" with mayo.  Funny........I remember reading somewhere that the early settlers of New England saw lobster as "trash".   "Trash to Treasure"........Imagine that!   Haha

Yat 
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

I love lobster! Lobster with a good steak is a match made in heaven. Unfortunately I don't get to enjoy it much because it's so expensive.

AJFishin

I've had Main lobster and of course spiny lobster, and the way I prefer to eat lobster is boiled without any extra ingredients and no butter. I've had both with butter and it does taste good, but I prefer without, I know weirdo.  :jester:
To me the Maine lobster was not as sweet and it has a little different texture then a spiny lobster.  :stirthepot:

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 15, 2020, 08:04:42 AM
I love lobster! Lobster with a good steak is a match made in heaven. Unfortunately I don't get to enjoy it much because it's so expensive.

So true, lobster and steak together is a match made in heaven, it's the best!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 15, 2020, 08:04:42 AM

Check the price again.  The news said the price went from $15 to $8 per lb. (must be commercial prices)

I do like Lobster, but I have to agree with Hunter. You really can't beat good fresh Dungeness Crab with Sourdough bread. 

My wife doesn't care for lobster, but she loves Dungeness Crab...

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I don't discriminate, I'll take lobster or crab. Love them both!  :food:

Croaker, where is the Fish Peddler?

Yachter Yat

Steak and lobster......(AKA, "Surf & Turf") is another thing I've never been crazy about.   Can you hear me now?........"Does this lobster taste a little "gamey" to you?  How about this steak?.........Does this taste a little "fishy"?  Ha   If I order steak, I want to "taste" steak.  If I order lobster, it's probably because I've fallen and hit my head.  Haha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 15, 2020, 12:21:40 PM
I don't discriminate, I'll take lobster or crab. Love them both!  :food:

Croaker, where is the Fish Peddler?

Near Tillamook?  I think Bay City ??

Here's the "after" pic...

We were sooo full.  😂

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

That's some clean shells👍

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, if you don't like lobster, and you don't like steak, do I dare ask what do you like? If your a vegetarian that's fine with me. I've heard those impossible burgers are good.