News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Different Approach to Anchoring

Started by woody, February 06, 2011, 05:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody

If you have seen this when I posted on Yuku, move on.  If not, this approachs anchoring differently that of 3Wgt, et al.

The two pictures below show the quick release, closed and attached to your anchor rope (red/white) and

This shows it opened with the anchor rope released.  You pull a lanyard in your cockpit, it seperates, and you are off fighting your hog with your Columbia set up drifting free.

This shows the set up going from anchor, chain, ball with pull, 300 ft of rode, float with red/white float line, the QUICK RELEASE, then the small float and the white line to the bow.  A small black lanyard goes from the release back to the working area. Note that the line is attached directly to the bow of your boat, not to a line from bow to stern.This gives a straight forward pull you get with open bows.

Below shows Jeannie using a hook to grab the red/white line and 1/2 of the quick release.  We have cut loose and are chasing the hog. The ball, anchor, etc are floating free. The black lanyard is the rope you pull to seperate the quick release. The length of the white rope is such that is too short to reach your props.

We have boated the hog, returned to our anchor set up and Jennie has retrieved the white float and anchor rode.

The next picture shows Jeannie reattached the two halves of the quick release and is prepared to throw over board. We will drift back and be on anchor again.

Pros: You put the anchor in your work area at the dock, drop it from aft, release and rehook from aft and pull with your Columbia to retried.  When at full anchor the pull is straight forward from your bow, no side pull.  Release is a pull on the lanyard.

Cons:  Doesn't beat an open bow.  You have to tie off the length of rode prior to hookup (same as 3Wgt's) so setting in a hog line is guessie.  I think I have an answer to that, will post after trial.

Neither is the best answer, open bow is best, but both are nice.

In either case, when pulling anchor with your motor keep a 45 degree or so angle between your bow and anchor rope. This keeps it from riding up your side and into your rails.  Ask how I know that.

Quick release is available at Fishermens or other outlets. Do not use ones designed for horses.  See my gallery or PM for more info.

Woody

dixiefisher

Woody,
   I have always wanted to try the quick release.....does it hold well under a bunch of current?.....
Paul Touchton

woody

Never had it fail on the C or the Willy in spring runoffs.  Our rigs are so light, probably could use Velcro. I'm PDX so you could try it without buying, pm me.

Woody

Danno

I am bringing this thread back to the top because there have been numerous questions regarding anchoring from the side of a closed cuddy Arima. For those that didn't know Woody, he was one of our first and finest members in our early days. Sadly he passed from cancer a few years later. I got to know him a lot better after an introduction from Streamfixer. I miss his musings on ArimaOwners.

I use this system for anchoring. It takes a lot of practice when solo fishing. I got to test my skills when I anchored up next to Croaker a week or so ago. I was about 50 feet away and about 15 short. A pretty good set in my book. The 50 ft distance was to afford mean excuse that Croaker picked the better spot when he out fished me 4 to 1.

:fishing:
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

We need the "hammer" emoticon

I too miss Woody. He was an original and a genuinely good guy. I never met in person but we pm'd a few times and he even sent me a pix of his kitties. Smokey was a beautiful one that he really missed as I recall.

Rip Woody.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead