News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trip down south

Started by Crackerbox, November 16, 2019, 08:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackerbox

I went to Los Barriles for my 3rd year in a row and it never gets old.  It was for the annual Salt Patrol Bill fishing tournament.
If any of you guys ever wanted to fish in Mexico this is the place to go.  It is north of Cabo about 1 hr on the Sea of Cortez and it is a quiet little town with lots to do.
My favorite part every year is waking up early to fish from shore during the sunrise catching a variety of fish. My wife loves sitting by the pool and walking through town with other fisherwives.  Also, it is very affordable compared to other Mexico vacations.  We stayed at the Palmas De Cortez.

View from our room

Getting bait in the morning

One of my partners, normally we don't keep billfish, but this one died.

My Dorado

Brother inlaws Dorado

My smaller Marlin for a quick photo op

A few shore fishing pics

A buddies Rooster

Just a couple going around town and exploring beaches

Joe

GregE

Joe, GREAT fishing report!!!   :clap:

I'll be seeking some info-  that looks like something we old folks could do. 

Like the needle fish-  any meat on that thing?

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

Do they have any means for freezing/shipping meat home?

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Mooch

Nice Bill, Bull and Rooster C-Box.  Great pics too.

Love Los Barriles.  Laid back place, nice digs, friendly people, great fishing and lots of beach to fish or explore on a rental quad on unguided days.  I was fortunate to check off one item on the bucket list when Mike Rieser got us into some hot billfish with a bug rod.  One thing I won't do there again tho is volunteer to reel in Humboldt squid for bait.  And getting on/off those trailer docks can get interesting when the wind picks up. 

SF. We've brought fish home with coolers via checked baggage on Alaska. 
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

desertdog

Was also at Salt Patrol derby. The Smoke House (local restaurant) will cook your catch, smoke it, freeze it, vacuum pack and has boxes available to take on plane with you. Not sure on the shipping option.

rasslingref

Looks like a great time on and off the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Crackerbox

Streamfixer,

Like stated previously, when you get back to the dock there are guys waiting for you.  They weigh thefish and ask how you want it.  Fresh to take out to dinner that night, frozen or smoked.  On the day you leave, they take you there, pick up your fish and go.  Some guys bring their own cooler, I use their cooler boxes.

Greg,

That is a smaller needle fish, not much, the larger ones look like they have some meat.  I have not seen anyone keep one though.

Angler west TV has some episodes on Los Barriles, one of them is on this tournament.  The last one gave a tour of Los Barriles and the smoke house operation where your fish is processed, it is pretty cool.

Joe