News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fire...here we go again.

Started by croaker stroker, October 11, 2019, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

Saddleridge fire whipped by Santa Ana Winds is very close AJFishin.  Are you OK AJ ? You are welcome to hang out here if you have too much smoke in your area.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Been listening to the reports on the news. Last I heard was 0% containment. AJ, hope you guys are ok.

PG&E cut power to close to 1 million people up here in the Bay Area due to high winds.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

GregE

Seems like another tough fire season coming..........  Stay prepared to git
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Wiley

Ironic, Northern California gets power shut off to 100,000 plus to prevent fires.... and Southern California is burning up again...
Hope all are well down there, thoughts and prayers sent...
I am supposed to attend a family event at Griffith Park for my Grandfathers train but unsure of fires, roads, air quality, access, etc.
My grandfather in the cab of his train
150 year anniversary of the continental divide celebration
Be safe down there y'all
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

ej1

Alhambra is good ways from the fire. Me on the other hand...  :doh: those red things on the lower right is saddleridge fire.  :facepalm:

Not too worried though, it was closer last time. 4 years ago fire came within 400 yards of my house before fire trucks put it out.  :clap: We have excellent fire department here.

2004 Sea Ranger 21 ST - 2015 Evinrude 150

croaker stroker

The wind has died down. Hopefully they can get a handle on the fire now.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Thank you Croaker and Fisher, but yeah the fire is a ways from us.

October is the start of the fire season  :facepalm: and hopefully it doesn't get any worse.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Quote from: ej1 on October 11, 2019, 09:15:43 PM
Alhambra is good ways from the fire. Me on the other hand...  :doh: those red things on the lower right is saddleridge fire.  :facepalm:

Not too worried though, it was closer last time. 4 years ago fire came within 400 yards of my house before fire trucks put it out.  :clap: We have excellent fire department here.

Glad to hear it missed you.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I can't believe with all the media coverage of the extreme fire danger that I was driving behind a guy that threw his lit cigarette out the window of his car on a mountain road with dry brush on both sides and high winds. Do people even think???? I almost called him in.

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on October 11, 2019, 10:55:33 PM
I can't believe with all the media coverage of the extreme fire danger that I was driving behind a guy that threw his lit cigarette out the window of his car on a mountain road with dry brush on both sides and high winds. Do people even think???? I almost called him in.

I've seen idiots that toss their cigarettes out the window on mountain roads and I don't hesitate to report them to the CHP.  My thoughts are, if they want to do that, then I believe they're responsible enough to take responsibility for a fire they might start.
I have family that lives in Oakhurst and a brother who retired from CalFire and a long time family friend who's a retired fire captain and I've heard one to many sad stories on fires started by people not caring.

Habberdasher

Hi just wondering how my Arima friends are doing in California I lost my home once to a fire and understand how terrible it is . I wish you all can be safe
Tight lines
Tom
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Danno

Safe here.

We live on a single loaded hillside which means that we are on the downside of a hill with the street between us and the house on the next street above. The slope was covered with overgrown Acacia bushes that the Fire Department ruled a fire hazard. The HOA has replaced it both on the hillside above me and the hillside below.

While we have open area about 1/2 mile to our east (where the winds were coming from) that is a concern for fire during these high wind, low humidity conditions, there's little concern now with the two hillsides clear however, we do have a slope up to our next door neighbor's house that still has about 10 feet high of Acacia very close to our house which could ignite from an ember from afar thus we remain vigilant during these fire conditions. If that open area started to burn, I would man a hose to wet the bushes down to minimize the risk of an embers starting anything. That slope is slated for Acacia removal but as with any HOA, it takes time. If I futz with it, the HOA then considers it my responsibility to maintain until the end of time which I prefer to avoid.

We are in a "Fire Hazard Zone" which means only a few insurance companies will sell us fire insurance and then only at high premiums.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

We are OK. Most of the fires have been in LA County. Just a couple in Orange County which they got under control quickly.

I am hearing on the news that there were 9 fires in Southern California yesterday and today.

Quote from: Danno on October 31, 2019, 11:02:27 AM

We are in a "Fire Hazard Zone" which means only a few insurance companies will sell us fire insurance and then only at high premiums.

Considering insurance payouts after all the damage, the premiums are probably going to get even more expensive and harder to get.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on October 31, 2019, 11:17:56 AM
We are OK. Most of the fires have been in LA County. Just a couple in Orange County which they got under control quickly.

I am hearing on the news that there were 9 fires in Southern California yesterday and today.

Quote from: Danno on October 31, 2019, 11:02:27 AM

Considering insurance payouts after all the damage, the premiums are probably going to get even more expensive and harder to get.

Same here ok, worst part of the fires for us being in the valley is a lot of the smoke settles here and makes going outside hard on your lungs.

CS you are 100% right about the insurance. My wife's friend is an agent for a major insurance company and she said everyone gets paid out no matter what including SCE and PG&E which will all contribute to our home insurance and our utility rates going up.

SAN BERNARDINO/HILLSIDE FIRE
JURUPA VALLEY/46 FIRE
FULLERTON/CASTLEWOOD FIRE
SIMI VALLEY/EASY FIRE
JURUPA VALLEY/HILL FIRE
GETTY FIRE
TICK FIRE
DEXTER FIRE
BREA FIRE

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

I grew up in the bay area and nor cal and nothing like these last couple of years ever happened.   I wonder why things seem to be getting worse? 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Markshoreline

G. W. ???
I'm really sorry for the damage to lives and property and hope the fires are extinguished soon.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Another one popped up in Santa Paula.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wiley

Quote from: Hunter on October 31, 2019, 04:54:42 PM
I grew up in the bay area and nor cal and nothing like these last couple of years ever happened.   I wonder why things seem to be getting worse?
I think it's because PGE never upgraded a lot of rural equipment since it's original installation
10' Don Hill Pram

Danno

I'll add to Wiley's comments:

1) There was no internet and news traveled slow by TV so we did not see many reports from other areas. For example, I have not heard a single report about fires in OR this year down here in CA because the local news doesn't cover it.

2) The population and wealth in CA has grown and many more people live in semi-rural areas where homes shouldn't be built unless they are vigilant about the design and brush clearing. Houses burning make the news more often than brush-only fires.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Ko Ho

Quote from: Danno on November 01, 2019, 11:13:32 AM

I'll add to Wiley's comments:

1) There was no internet and news traveled slow by TV so we did not see many reports from other areas. For example, I have not heard a single report about fires in OR this year down here in CA because the local news doesn't cover it.

2) The population and wealth in CA has grown and many more people live in semi-rural areas where homes shouldn't be built unless they are vigilant about the design and brush clearing. Houses burning make the news more often than brush-only fires.
Danno's right. I grew up in SoCal, and got my biology degree at USC in 1977. We studied ecosystems in the hills around LA which had evolved to survive the frequent fires. Several species of plants there actually evolved to germinate when there is a fire, releasing seeds when burning, to regrow in the aftermath. Those areas now are filled with houses!
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Wiley

My daughter just bought a house in pollock pines, Ca. A heavily treed area, in fact PGE was cutting a tree in her front yard the day she was moving in..
The only way she could get reasonable fire insurance was the house is stucco (unusual in the area of log homes) her new neighbor stopped by and inquired about her ability to insure at such a low rate as most in the area are now paying 600-700 a month.... now I see why so many for sale signs have gone up in the mountain communities.
10' Don Hill Pram

Fisherdv

Quote from: Wiley on November 12, 2019, 05:12:07 PM
My daughter just bought a house in pollock pines, Ca. A heavily treed area, in fact PGE was cutting a tree in her front yard the day she was moving in..
The only way she could get reasonable fire insurance was the house is stucco (unusual in the area of log homes) her new neighbor stopped by and inquired about her ability to insure at such a low rate as most in the area are now paying 600-700 a month.... now I see why so many for sale signs have gone up in the mountain communities.
It kinda sucks when a company's negligence, greed, and poor maintenance ultimately leads to us paying for it in the form of higher insurance premiums, higher monthly utility bills etc.

Just like the city water utility during the drought. We were mandated to cut water use 30%. So I did that, as told to avoid fines. About a month later I get a letter from the city saying that since we are saving so much water, as we were told to, that they are losing money now. So guess what, they raised the cost! Well the drought has been over for a while now and my bill never went back down!!!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 12, 2019, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: Wiley on November 12, 2019, 05:12:07 PM
It kinda sucks when a company's negligence, greed, and poor maintenance ultimately leads to us paying for it in the form of higher insurance premiums, higher monthly utility bills etc.

Just like the city water utility during the drought. We were mandated to cut water use 30%. So I did that, as told to avoid fines. About a month later I get a letter from the city saying that since we are saving so much water, as we were told to, that they are losing money now. So guess what, they raised the cost! Well the drought has been over for a while now and my bill never went back down!!!

You must have the same water company as we do. You had to pay more because you saved water and they didn't make enough money this year....next year, you will have tiered billing and surcharges for using more water than you used this year.  When they say to save water, you have to use as much as you can. That way you help to maintain the profitability of the company while preventing extra cost for increasing water usage the following year.  :jester: :stooges: :circling_shark: :stirthepot:

Can't beat them...so I joined them and bought stock in the company. Now the dividends pay my water bill.  (American States Water Company, AWR)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Yep. Here we go again... 70 mph wind and fire don't mix.

Irvine evacuations. (60,000 people) Fingers crossed it doesn't come this way.  :bigshock:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/wind-driven-brush-fire-sparks-in-santiago-canyon-area-residents-between-tustin-and-foothill-ranch-urged-to-be-vigilant/

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸