News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I Love Knucklebusters!

Started by GutZ, September 13, 2019, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutZ

I have gotten busy with other things and haven't checked in here in some time.
The Sea Kitten (15'11 Sea Chaser) is moored at Edmonds.
I haven't had any luck with the Coho. Just a few small immature fish. And humpies.

I Love Knucklebusters!

I did pretty well for Chinook. I shot some video with the phone camera just velcroed to the front of the boat. They are unedited and some end abruptly. Sometimes you don't get to see the fish and there maybe some foul language.

for your viewing pleasure -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbUhPsX54hgOBx_0DMZd3RA
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Markshoreline

Great to hear from u again GutZ.  The other day I was fishing area 10 and was laughing about your secret troll to 666!  Remember that one?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

blindmonkey

Nice work with the single action reel. It's the only way to fish!
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

DevMah

Nice videos...
I only use single action reels  for trolling also.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

GregE

OK,  why? 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

GoodDays

Because Its Fun Greg !!!    just ask Mark ...  I think he's healed up enough now to say he enjoyed it ? 

GoodDays Greg

DevMah

Quote from: GregE on October 07, 2019, 10:19:35 AM

OK,  why?

They are basic reels to maintain dose not have many moving parts  and IMO  there is a lot more control  to fight the fish as you can palm the reel and let the drag off. I switched from level winds years back never looked back...

Dev

headduck

What's a good entry level reel. Maybe a decent used one to look out for as folks upgrade over the winter?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Mooch

Shimano Moocher Plus 2000 at 100 bones.  Will last a life time.  4000 is too big, IMO.  Daiwa makes similar models.  Islander reels are beautiful precision CNC machined reels at 4X$.  They will all do a fine job.  I've been using single action reels since early 80's.  They are easy to clean and maintain and they are fun, but they aren't for everyone.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

ohmytodd

What kind of rods do you guys use with these reels?

Spun with mono or braid??

Looks like a fun way to fish, I may pick one of these up to troll with to try out.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

J Chaser

I use the Shimano Convergence 10'6" mooching rod.

I have 2 Islander MR3 reels spooled with 25 pound mono. Some guys also use backing, but I don't.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

DevMah

Quote from: J Chaser on October 07, 2019, 12:47:43 PM
I use the Shimano Convergence 10'6" mooching rod.

I have 2 Islander MR3 reels spooled with 25 pound mono. Some guys also use backing, but I don't.

John

I used the Islander great reels.... however my boat is equipped with HMX 10'6 Mooching rods and Shimano Technium 10"6 mooching rods, they are all equipped with the Admundson trend 5 reels great bang for the buck.

HMX Rod
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmx/fenwick-hmx-salmon-steelhead-mooching/1415327.html

Shimano Technium Rod
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/132436/shimano-technium-mooching-rod

Reel
http://www.amundson.ca/gfishingreels/12

25 to 30 lb mono no backing spooled on reels.

Dev

mustang65fbk

Quote from: GregE on October 07, 2019, 10:19:35 AM

OK,  why?

Agree.  Not my style and the ones that are decent seem to be well over $300 a piece.  Can buy several decent reels for that price.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Mooch

Here's a few "knucklebusters" I assembled for a Xmas card a couple years ago.  Most shown are freshwater float reels for salmon and steelhead; true "knucklebusters" with no drag whatsoever.  The one on the bottom however is a Winona, my very first knucklebuster that my mother-in-law (an expert moocher) gave me in the early eighties.  I've collected few more since then.  The Winona had a unique leather thumb drag and it's learning curve was steep and long, but if you fished one, others always took notice and if a king hit it was game on.  Totally hooked me on SA reels and I've been a junkie ever since.  Winonas don't work so well for trolling tho, so we used Alvey and wooden Peetz reels instead, when and if we ever trolled, which was pretty rare.  Shimano Moochers and Islanders came on the scene later as trolling techniques and tackle improved.  Drag systems on these reels were much better suited for trolling duty.  They were modeled after the wooden Peetz near as I can tell. 

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

headduck

With the shimano do you still palm drag even though it has drag built in?

Mooch

I don't, but you can apply additional drag pressure manually with palm or fingers if you want  An example might bd when turning a fish towards net with drag turned way down for close runs.  Otherwise it's very easy to adjust drag at the reel.  One thing to remember, because these reels are so large, they have very large drag washers, which are inherently stronger, smoother and have finer and wider adjustment than most level wind reels.

DevMah

Quote from: headduck on October 07, 2019, 02:19:16 PM

Yes

I don't apply the drag on to hard enough that I can palm the reel.

Dev

headduck

Thanks for the insight.

A bit about cleaning and optimizing the reel.
https://youtu.be/d7dRvcHomYM

Jwoo 1800

Quote from: headduck on October 07, 2019, 02:19:16 PM

Best setting/technique I've heard is the "drag" setting isn't necessarily meant to be used as the sole drag of the reel. It's more of a tension device to prevent backlash when the fish stops. You palm the reel for true "drag". The shimano has enough drag that you can really crank down too far and almost lock the reel up so you could tighten it up and not ever really need to palm it but that kinda defeats the purpose of using the reel in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 Sea Chaser 19'
94 Merc Black Max 135
05 Honda 8 Classic

headduck

I see. Similar to the control on a baitcaster re:backlash...

Sure is a spectical when the reel is running.

Seems like you might be a bit more connected to the fight (more excitement and enjoyment) then with the standard line counter.

Also seems, like everything else one wants to be good at, more than a bit of practice is needed to be proficient.

Have the shimanos been made for a while? Would like to pick up a used if I can.

Jwoo 1800

The shimanos have been around for a bit and you can find some used ones online but honestly they aren't very expensive new compared to some of the fancy "normal" reels. Not Walmart specials by any means but you can normally find new ones in the $120 range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 Sea Chaser 19'
94 Merc Black Max 135
05 Honda 8 Classic

pickles1107

I bought the Daiwa M-One UTD at Sportco (through Amazon) for $70 bucks new as a cheap foray into mooching reels. 

I now use mine exclusively (100% trolling use).  Its very fun to play salmon on these rods. 

pgbrown

It was a couple of years ago when I was in Victoria with the Mrs. on holiday and Rick (Wryguy) (remember him?)was showing me some of his famous Canadian hospitality. Low and behold after a few beverages we ended up at the Peetz shop. Let's just say he was correct, awesome fun reels. Plus the wife likes them too.
https://www.peetzoutdoors.com/
2014 17' Sea Ranger
90 hp Honda
9.9 hp Honda

headduck

I remember wyrguy...head had the beautiful blue boat that was kept quite dry.

The peetz are pretty. And simple...guess the simplicity is another benefit of these style of reels...although the peetz seem to be a bit more "pure" and a little more $ than the shimano/daiwa which appear to be a decent reels to transition with.

Will certainly keeping eyes peeled over the winter to see if I can come across one.

Thanks for all the insight.

blindmonkey

Once you have used one and experience the fishing that way you will never look back.  :beerchug:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD