News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I have just purchased a new to me, a 1991 Sea Ranger. I need to repower.

Started by Timbo4004, September 08, 2019, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo4004

Any advice is  welcome. If I understand correctly The boat that I have is recommended to have a 75hp engine. However the Yamaha dealer is suggesting that I repower with a 2020 F90LB because it is only $300.00 more and it weighs the same. Any advantage in the higher horse power? My main fishing opportunities are salmon out of the Humboldt bar, ugg, and 17 - 20 miles down the coast to rock fishing. Halibit fishing 5 miles +/-.  I do have a 6Hp kicker, but want to troll with the main engine. I am concerned with getting the best fuel mileage.

Respond to this forum or Timbo4004@aol.com

Thank you

Fisherdv

If your SR is a 17, then 90HP motor is the preferred choice. Especially in the ocean.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

davidsea

It would be helpful to know whether your SR is a 17 or19, also what weight do you plan to carry - # of people, fuel, ice, downriggers, pot puller, batteries, etc.  On smaller motors under 100 HP or so, prop selection will be critical.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

amazing grace

For the $300 that is a no brainer. It is odd to me that Yamaha would ever sell a 75hp with that being the case. So yes on the 17' Sea Ranger the 90hp is t he ticket. Congrats on the purchase. A new motor is great. I hope you factored it in to the purchase of your new to you Arima. Otherwise that is a rough start financially.

Welcome to this site.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

AJFishin

Yamaha's are great motors and I would go with the 90. As for trolling with your main motor, not sure with Yamaha, but I know Suzuki has a "Troll Mode" on their motors that can be used when you add the $60 troll mode switch.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Hunter

I would be taking a hard look at the Suzuki 100 for a 17.    Comes in at about 350lbs.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

ohmytodd

1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

mustang65fbk

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 90hp motor on a 17' Arima and I don't really think that going bigger would be advantageous in any way.  In terms of getting the best fuel economy?  Well since it's a boat and an outboard you're not going to be getting great mileage like a car to begin with and I wouldn't go into the hobby expecting to be saving money or getting really good mpg's because it's not the case.  Evinrude claims their Etec motors get better mpg's than 4 strokes, whether that's true or not I don't really know.  They claim you can get I think 10-20% better fuel economy going with them?  I don't know, to me I'd rather have a 4 stroke even if it did burn another 1.5 gallons per hour at WOT.  In terms of the top 3 brands of 4 stroke motors, the Suzuki 90 is going to be the lightest by about 20lbs, which is pretty negligible by itself but when you add the weight of your kicker motor, batteries and so on, that 20lb savings could be helpful down the road. 

I also like that Suzuki gives you a 3+3 warranty for 6 years total.  Honda I believe is 5 years and Yamaha generally is a 3 year warranty although they will do promotions and whatnot to extend it.  I don't really think you could go wrong with any of the 3 major brands, just depends on what the pricing is for each motor and if you have a competent outboard mechanic nearby to work on your motor if you ever need one.  I've said this several times in other posts but I've talked to Grant Wooldridge of Wooldridge boats in Seattle and he recommends Suzuki outboards on all of this boats.  He says they're not as common up here in the PNW as Honda and Yamaha are but that they're great motors and rarely ever come back in other than for routine maintenance.  I feel like if he regards them that highly then I'll go that route if/when I ever need to re-power my boat.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

davidsea

Ask friends, neighbors, Arima owners, random boaters at the dock, BBB, yelp  -  find the best dealer in your area and buy whatever  brand motor they sell, you'll be happy.      ( Just a thought:  Honda 75-90-100 all the same 91 C.I. block, all at 359#, full 5yr., troll control, and yes, I'm biased.)
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

mariner

I repowered my 19SR last year and went with a Merc 115 with Command Thrust.  Very happy with the motor.   To be honest, I've been on fellow members Arimas powered with Suzuki, Yamaha, and ETECs...  Haven't been on a Honda yet..  All good motors in my opinion as long as you go new...  If you can get a deal which includes 5 years warranty that would be beneficial.. If not, it's usually not that much more to add 2 additional years onto the 3 year factory warranty.   It comes down to personal preference and what you have used in the past, how close the local dealer is to you etc...

Like I said, if you go new you can't really go wrong..   Just be prepared to spend more money on the additional costs which go with a new motor(control box, cables(throttle/shift), NMEA, props(can be expensive if you go stainless), etc.... These additional costs do add up quickly...

Repowering isn't that difficult to do on your own if you have the time and the patience.... You can save quite a bit doing it yourself and the best part is that you know exactly how the boat and equipment is rigged so that should you want to upgrade or if something goes wrong, you can easily take it apart(control box, cables, lines, etc)..

One piece of advice is to make sure you have your engine height set properly before you start prop testing and prop test with everything that you normally have on the boat(kicker, proper fuel level, fishing gear, avg number of people etc....

Good luck
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Timbo4004

All good input! There is only one dealer within 200 miles. Which makes it tough to shop around.

mustang65fbk

2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

GoodDays

If you are buying new, go with a local dealer. Its worth it for service and any warranty issues.  90 - 115 are great choices for a 17 SeaRanger.

GoodDays Greg

jbw

I was a service manager for 20 years and worked on and sold both Yamaha and Honda, dont rule the Honda out! The 90 is an amazing engine

Summertime Blues

We just sold our 1990 17' SR and had a 90 HP Honda on it. Was just right for what we needed to do!
2008 19' SR ST-2008 Honda 135 and 2011 Honda 9.9 (bought 2019)
1990 17' SR-2006 Honda 90 and 15 (sold 2019)

Timbo4004

I am located in Northern California. Yes, I am looking at Honda as well.

Elochoman

15 ft. Sea Sprinter w/ 60 HP Johnson (Sold)
17 ft. Sea Ranger w/ 90 HP E-tec - 9.9 Evinrude Kicker (Sold)
15 ft. Sea Sprinter w/ 40 HP Johnson
19 ft. Sea Ranger HT w/ 130 HP Honda & 8 HP Honda

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: jbw on September 11, 2019, 12:04:50 AM
I was a service manager for 20 years and worked on and sold both Yamaha and Honda, dont rule the Honda out! The 90 is an amazing engine

Nice to have someone with your experience to help us with these motors. Our boats don't go anywhere without a good running outboard. 👍🏻
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mooch

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on September 13, 2019, 07:23:20 AM
Quote from: jbw on September 11, 2019, 12:04:50 AM

Nice to have someone with your experience to help us with these motors.

Yeah, what he said!  👍🏻
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"