Author Topic: Goetz hydraulic pump - ???  (Read 274 times)

Online tacoman

Goetz hydraulic pump - ???
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
Hi All,
I'm having issues with the Goetz hydraulic pump that runs the kicker bracket on my 2005 SR21.  I realize the pump is still being sold, but I'd like to try to repair before springing for a new one.

Older posts that I've found include suggestions such as:

"There is a little valve screw in the pump that you can turn 1/4 turn clockwise that will smooth out the operation. I have had to do that twice in 10years. I believe due to not enough use"

"To fill the reservoir or bleed them you take the slotted screw out of the top of the holding tank and fill with fluid an inch to 2 inches from the top, then with the screw loose in the tank run the bracket down and up a couple of times to bleed the air out - refill tank if necessary an inch from the top."

The problem is I'm not familiar with the "little valve screw" or the "holding tank", so I have no idea where those are (yes, I'm a little slow!!  :redface:).

Can anyone help me identify the location of both the screw and the holding tank?  I've included a picture of the pump/assembly below (hopefully the pic link works :wink:).  Thank you!!

2005 Sea Ranger 21HT, 2005 Honda 150 & 15
1993 Sea Chaser 17, 2017 Honda 90, 2001 Honda 8 (sold)
2001 Klamath Advantage S, Suzuki 30

Online Danno

Re: Goetz hydraulic pump - ???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
no picture or link
2015 19' Sea Chaser

1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Online tacoman

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »
Let's try this again.

https://i.imgur.com/wZuumId.jpg

Offline beancounter

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:19:15 AM »
You say you can still buy a new pump. I would strongly consider biting the bullet and buying a new one. If it gets discontinued where would that leave you?

Online Hydroman

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »
I had Goetz electric/hydraulic kicker on my last boat, but the pump was mounted with the motor in vertical position not lay flat as shown in your picture. Look lake you pump may be different than mine was. Has yours worked correctly in the position shown?

JIm
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Online tacoman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
I just purchased the boat, but the previous owner said it was working until just recently.

Online Hydroman

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
I just purchased the boat, but the previous owner said it was working until just recently.

Just a couple of questions?

Does the pump run?
Have you checked the oil level?
Does it work in on direction or the other?

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline kentakata

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 01:33:52 AM »
The filler screw plug for the Goetz pump is on the top of the cylinder.  The way you have it mounted (horizontally), it will be on the top of the pump cylinder  that faces the stern of the boat.  Looks like you will have to remove the pump from its mount in order to fill and bleed the system.   The other issue might be corroded pump relay connectors or corroded (up-down) switch contacts.  You also might consider calling Chuck Goetz for some advice.  He has been very helpful with the  12 year old Goetz hydraulic system on my Arima.   In the end, however,  I installed a new replacement pump this month.  My boat is used primarily in saltwater and the old pump was severely corroded and would intermittently become inoperable.  I think the pump's motor brushes were worn because because I could sometimes get the pump to work by rapping it with a hammer.    Depending on the age of your pump, you might consider getting a new one.    While changing out the pump, you should inspect the bushings at the hinges on the kicker lift arms.  The older ones were made of some type of fiber material and would crack an wear out.  The new replacements are made of metal. 

Online tacoman

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
Thank you so much!  This was exactly the info I was looking for.

Some answers:  I did speak with Mr. Goetz and he suggested jumping power directly over to the motor.  When I did that it ran both up and down.  I then checked the fuse and it was blown  :redface:  Put in another fuse and it ran for a second, but replacement fuse blew.  I then put a larger fuse in just to see if it would work (30A -> 40A).  The motor ran but the piston did not move up or down.  I then jumped directly again and same result; motor ran but piston didn't budge.  I guess next step is to unfasten motor and check fluids.  Thoughts?  The motor is from 2005, so maybe a replacement is in order....

Online tacoman

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
OK, this is weird.  After letting site for several days I tried the motor again and it works both up and down. On the up it “gurgle” a bit.  So strange...

Offline kentakata

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
My original Goetz pump acted just like yours with intermittent operation.  After a few months it finally quit working altogether.  Because you keep blowing fuses, I would guess the problem is within the pump motor.  Probably worn brushes or a seized motor bearing. 

Due to your horizontal mounting position, lower levels of hydraulic fluid may not be adequate to allow fluid to enter the hydraulic hoses and lift the piston.
 That would explain the pump motor operating and producing a gurgling sound but not lifting the piston.  Goetz recommends the pump be mounted vertically.