News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Where to buy new electronics & get advice? - Tacoma area

Started by tacoman, August 12, 2019, 08:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoman

Hi All,
I'm about to take delivery of a 2005 Sea Ranger that's in need of all new electronics.  My knowledge is quite limited so I'll need advice for plotter, radar, fish finder, and .... other?

Can you recommend a good (and reasonable) marine electronics dealer in or around the Tacoma, WA area?  I saw that J&G was discussed in a few threads, but their Yelp reviews weren't so great, but of course disgruntled customers are more likely to check in.
2005 Sea Ranger 21HT, 2005 Honda 150 & 15
1993 Sea Chaser 17, 2017 Honda 90, 2001 Honda 8 (sold)
2001 Klamath Advantage S, Suzuki 30 (sold)

Peddler

My experiences with J&G have been good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Hydroman

I purchased all of my electronics fro J & G and installed them myself. They were very helpful with providing information during the installation process.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

ATGEP

Imagine what you want the finished package to look like and then with help start putting the pieces together.  Radar, 2nd head unit, network, 2 sounders, are all considerations.  Garmin products are easier to use but cost more money.  Lowrance is cheaper, harder to use, but offer more customization and can be powerful in the right hands.

Tunacious

First Cabin

I've purchased my full suite of Garmin from SemperFiFishing and installed myself.  He knows his stuff, asks pertinent questions about what you might need, and how you should best spend your $$$$.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Hunter

Quote from: First Cabin on August 13, 2019, 05:22:30 PM
I've purchased my full suite of Garmin from SemperFiFishing and installed myself.  He knows his stuff, asks pertinent questions about what you might need, and how you should best spend your $$$$.

Ditto for Gil at Semper Fi.   He also has his own electronics section over on The Hull Truth that has a wealth of information and already asked and answered questions
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

BestBoats

Quote from: Tunacious on August 13, 2019, 09:18:07 AM
I really like Rodgers Marina in Portland
Rogers is just across the I5 bridge in Oregon on Marine drive. You can play with the units, view live radar Images on the charters (they are right on the river) as well as VHF. It might be worth the trip down as a full suite will be a big enough purchase that no sales tax could buy another component.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Tunacious

Quote from: BestBoats on August 16, 2019, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: Tunacious on August 13, 2019, 09:18:07 AM
I really like Rodgers Marina in Portland
Rogers is just across the I5 bridge in Oregon on Marine drive. You can play with the units, view live radar Images on the charters (they are right on the river) as well as VHF. It might be worth the trip down as a full suite will be a big enough purchase that no sales tax could buy another component.

Rodgers is family owned and was owned by Tim's father before he owned it.  Its been in the family for a long time.

When I had them install my auto pilot Tim took it out on the water and showed me how to use it and calibrate it.

After I had my new power install two days ago my auto pilot wasn't working.  I called Rodgers and they spent a half hour on the phone talking me through how to calibrate it again because I could not remember how to re calibrate it.

mustang65fbk

2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Svinny88

Hodges marine, has had some really good deals in the past couple months.  I bought my humminbird solix 10, gen1 si mega unit for 1650$ from them. They were 2-300$ cheaper than anyone else at that time, and I have seen deals on other electronics    Free shipping, and everything showed up in less than 3 days   
1998 15'11" sea explorer. 2020 Honda bf100
"T roLL on 1"