News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Tin boats for old men

Started by Yachter Yat, August 10, 2019, 01:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Fixer:  A "tiller steer tin can" about 18 feet?  I think you'll be sorry.   That's a kid's boat.  I've come to the conclusion; an Arima Sea Sprinter is "your" boat.  Go ahead.........give me one reason why I might be wrong, and I'll give you 10 why I'm right.  (ha)  Now.....if you said you were looking at a Frewza 14 Fisherman...........I'd shut up and sit down. (haha)

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Yat

Why would I want to try to persuade/dissuade someone whose mind is made up?

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

I don't know, Fixer.  For whatever reason, I just can't see you without an Arima......even a small one like the Sprinter.  I'm not so sure a tin can skiff would be adequate for even smaller bodies of water.  Maybe it's just me, but they simply don't offer enough protection; even in some of the lakes and rivers I myself might consider frequenting.  There's a sh*tload of those things where we boat, on the Essex River.  Most are used by clammers.  They run down river a few miles or so and beach 'em on the flats.  They're good for that, but get those things in a "running river" or even a couple miles offshore and you're not going to have the "fun day" you might think.  Just my opinion, but before spending a dime on one of those, I'd rent one for a couple days.  Give it a college try and see what you think. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

Yat, surely Russ has spent many a day in aluminum boats that he is considering. He knows. They are the predominant choice in the PNW.

We love our Arima's. They offer a soul like no aluminum boat can. I have owned both. Including some of the best aluminums. They are great too.

The Arima's can do so many things. And do them well. They are pretty affordable. Do not break down. Can be upgraded from the ground up if desired. And on and on and on.

Russ has a great Arima. Will sell fast. Maybe already sold. He is making a transition. It is inevitable for us all.

Going fishing with somebody vs taking somebody is great. Surely there are those that he will go with to continue to do something that he loves on the ocean.

Btt for a great boat at a stellar price     :mememe:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Fisherdv

Tin cans are not all that bad. I had a 15' Klamath, it had a steering wheel, windshield, and a canvas top. I fished that boat for 15+ years. I've taken it to all the spots I've taken my Arima. Miles out in the ocean, river with current, Delta etc. For a small can it has been in some big water also.

Having owned both aluminum and glass boats, I honestly think for what Fixer mentions he wants to do, a tin can is a good/better choice, IF he gets one with steering wheel and windshield/canvas for some weather protection.

IMO, glass boats in shallow, rocky rivers don't mix well. The gel coat can get scratches very easily. An aluminum boat allows you to very slowly tuck up into the bank if needed. If I was primarily ocean fishing, I'd pick a glass boat for sure, but as Fixer described, river, lakes, some bay, the tin can would actually be the better choice.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

There "are" tin boats for old men.  One is the Frewza 14 Fisher that I've mentioned in the past.  The other, that I believe would be an excellent choice, is the Quintrex 430 Fishabout.  Course.........either one would have to be shipped-up from where the water goes down the sink counterclockwise.  So.........I guess those are out, eh?   You have to admit though; doesn't looking at some of the nice, practical little salty tin boats they make "down under" make you wonder what these American manufacturers are smoking?  What on earth makes these people think we actually need another "tin bathtub" with a motor that we have to hang on to like a bucking bronco?     Oh well.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

beancounter

Yat Russ has fished a 19 Chaser and rigged it superbly and is wise enough to not try and change your mind by discussion. Both excellent examples of his decision making prowess. I trust he will choose equally as well for his future boating needs. Best of luck with the sale Russ.  Probably only chance one will see to get an Arima with a Salt Boss custom top like this..

Yachter Yat

Yeah, AG.............I appreciate that.  That said, I always find it very difficult to have to tell people that..........1.  The Earth was not made is 6 days.  2.  The Great Pyramid of Egypt was not built as a tomb for any Pharaoh, and 3........These small "tin bathtubs " built in America just don't cut-it for old guys.  Hahahaha   BTW, you know we love you, right? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

It always gets brought up and I know Russ said a tiller steer aluminum boat. But an Arima Sea Pacer has always intrigued me. I have never seen one in  person. As I get more stoved up with age. I cannot see myself with a tiller steer boat. A helm is pretty darn handy as far as I can see. But for access to the front I would think a Pacer would be ideal. Plus that boat is really versatile in terms of where you could take it. Including the ocean. As yes I understand about taking a wave over the bow.

And there are tons of river places a Sea Pacer would be right at home in the pnw.  :stirthepot:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

croaker stroker

I don't want to be where the waves are big enough and close enough to break over the bow of my Sea Pacer.  For that to happen, it would have to be very, very nasty conditions. So far, in the years that I have had this boat (and I go out there a lot) I have not seen waves that the Pacer couldn't handle.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Yeah, I'm with you guys.  If it's so bad, waves are coming over the bow....stay home.  Cut the grass, go shopping....anything.  BTW, I found this great picture of an older couple in a beautiful little Sea Sprinter.  Maybe one of you guys can do it, but I can't seem to separate that pic from the rest of the article.  If you go to it, just scroll down, click-on that picture and blow it up.  I just thought it was such a gorgeous shot of that couple on that beautiful little Sprinter.   See here:   http://seajaygoesnorth-jmatheson.blogspot.com/2010/08/

Also want to say sorry, but you may have to forgive me when it comes to tin boats.  I know a lot of older guys would like to go that way; for one reason or another.  I suppose if we consider the potential damage to glass that can occur in some of the areas they frequent, we can't really blame them.   That said, I get frustrated when I see some of the great little tin boats being made in New Zealand and Australia....like the Frewza 14 and Quintrex 430 I mentioned.  I find myself wondering why most U.S. manufactures aren't taking a lesson from these guys.  Perusing some of our domestic manufacturer's websites seems to yield nothing but (what I call)  "tin bathtubs".  Most are a little too long and too open.  They just don't offer enough protection.  I don't understand why there wouldn't be a market for a class of small closed-bow tin boats here in the U.S.  Maybe these U.S. companies don't feel a 14 plus long x 6 plus wide aluminum boat is either big, or seaworthy enough.  If that 's the case, I think these guys from "down under" may have proven them wrong.  My 2 more. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

The Kiwi boats are indeed interesting.  If they made a tiller steer, I would be looking.  I do NOT want for fore-deck and have found the center consoles I have looked at, and been on, to be a huge PITA

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Hydroman

I find myself in the same position as SF, After having 2 Arima's and the 27' Thunderjet OS.  Never thought I would ever consider an open tiller boat for my next boat. I live on the lower Columbia and find I am now fishing more on the river and costal bays. Just saw a 18' Hewes open boat with 70 HP Yamaha, looks like it would work good for my needs.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Danno

Yat, capitalism takes care the boating needs in most places, including the PNW. The basic demand is for tough boats with shelter to stay out of the cold rain. I can't remember how many times it hailed while I was spring salmon fishing. In the Columbia River region, boats that are easy to anchor along with the toughness and shelter have a greater following whereas in Puget Sound, boats that ride better on modest swells gain favor over the anchoring issues hence Arimas are popular. Both OR and WA have plenty of rock laden rivers so flat bottom aluminum sleds and drift boats abound yet there's still plenty of open ocean access so the larger deep vee hull boats also have a following.

If the Australian boats were that much better for PNW boaters, they'd either already be up here in numbers or a local company would start producing them to overcome the shipping costs. Capitalism works in not so mysterious ways.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Yachter Yat

It's not that these boats (like the Frewza, StabiCraft and Quintrex) wouldn't serve some of the PNW guys well....especially given the available canvas options.   Wouldn't you agree, they may be better than an open tin bath tub?   The way I see it:  Whoever might decide to import these boats could do very well.  Trouble is really where their made.  Freight costs simply make it unfeasible. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

As the old saying goes, If Wishes were fishes....

Yat.. 

If you don't care for aluminum boats, then don't get one.  Everyone has the opportunity to get what ever they may want to fill their particular needs.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Yachter Yat

No...........I'd never buy an aluminum boat.  Moreover, I'd never swap "any" Arima for a tin tub.  Sorry.........it's just not my style. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hunter

Quote from: Yachter Yat on August 12, 2019, 02:16:29 PM
   No...........I'd never buy an aluminum boat.  Moreover, I'd never swap "any" Arima for a tin tub.  Sorry.........it's just not my style.  Yat

Yat...... I completely respect your totally fair and honest opinion.    For me......I have had both.   My 22SL Arima and my current Hewes 22 (really 24 with the offshore bracket)....... and for here in the Northwest, I personally will always run a metal boat rather than a plastic one.   Main reason is shore landings which are very, very important to me and my family.   Also.. the maintenance is so much easier than a plastic boat.   I just flush the engines and rinse the entire boat off with HOT fresh water from my hose bib....    I do a full soap and brush scrub maybe twice per year.   Also, I don't worry one bit about scratches, nicks or dings....just evidence of using and enjoying the boat...   Anyway.... that's just my personal .02.    Other than that, the Arimas are no doubt the best bang for the buck plastic boat on the market   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

davidsea

Fixer:   You might have liked my last boat - sorry, but it's already sold.    16 ft. , Honda BF50 EFI,  1000# total towed weight, 18 gal. fuel,  200 mile range at cruise,  12+ MPG at 22 MPH cruise, top end 37-40 MPH.   Nine years of fun with that boat.   Tin cans have some real advantages, no doubt - I just needed a roof, a bunk, a refrigerator, and a porta-pottie, so I bought my Arima.  m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Rokefin

IDK, the older I get the bigger the boat I want...

Yachter Yat

As tin boats go, I kinda like this one.   14'x6'-3", 613 lbs. and 40 HP:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdV8T6NkDQU   I'd bet that little port stern platform could make boarding fairly easy at a ramp with no dock.  Smart. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

BK1983

If you could find one, Quintrex aluminum boats are awesome. I have a 13ft I use as a tender. It gets up to 30mph with a 20hp which is plenty fast for a boat that size. Lots of freeboard, and completely welded. I always feel safe in it.  Its an Australian company and I believe they stopped selling in the U.S. in 2004. Whenever I see one for sale Im tempted to buy it. The larger models 14ft and up are really seaworthy. If you ever see one for sale don't hesitate.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
1999 Sea Ranger 19 HT,  2019 BF 115

croaker stroker

While riding on "Jerry's Jet Boats" on the Rogue River, I saw an aluminum boat with a small enclosure crash dead center into a boulder bigger than the boat doing about 10-15 mph. I don't think he could see the rock because the enclosure blocked his view, and there might have been beer involved. Without much damage, the boat just slid back down into the rushing water and continued down stream. (Aluminum Bends)

I don't think my Arima would have survived that crash.

After that, I got a new respect for aluminum boats.

These things are built like tanks...  "Sea Ark"

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/san-diego-sea-ark-aluminum-commercial/6951882732.html

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

A neighbor has a 21 North River with an open top  ow and canvas top.  Awesome boat that he pulls up on the beach to pick me up.  Very easy step into the bow, the the passenger compartment is sealed from the weather.  The boat loses dry storage up front that my Arima provides but it is really nice to be able to beach and load!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Yachter Yat on August 12, 2019, 06:11:09 AM
     Yeah, I'm with you guys.  If it's so bad, waves are coming over the bow....stay home.  Cut the grass, go shopping....anything.  BTW, I found this great picture of an older couple in a beautiful little Sea Sprinter.  Maybe one of you guys can do it, but I can't seem to separate that pic from the rest of the article.  If you go to it, just scroll down, click-on that picture and blow it up.  I just thought it was such a gorgeous shot of that couple on that beautiful little Sprinter.   See here:   http://seajaygoesnorth-jmatheson.blogspot.com/2010/08/

Also want to say sorry, but you may have to forgive me when it comes to tin boats.  I know a lot of older guys would like to go that way; for one reason or another.  I suppose if we consider the potential damage to glass that can occur in some of the areas they frequent, we can't really blame them.   That said, I get frustrated when I see some of the great little tin boats being made in New Zealand and Australia....like the Frewza 14 and Quintrex 430 I mentioned.  I find myself wondering why most U.S. manufactures aren't taking a lesson from these guys.  Perusing some of our domestic manufacturer's websites seems to yield nothing but (what I call)  "tin bathtubs".  Most are a little too long and too open.  They just don't offer enough protection.  I don't understand why there wouldn't be a market for a class of small closed-bow tin boats here in the U.S.  Maybe these U.S. companies don't feel a 14 plus long x 6 plus wide aluminum boat is either big, or seaworthy enough.  If that 's the case, I think these guys from "down under" may have proven them wrong.  My 2 more. 

Yat

Yat, I pulled pic.....click for larger/better resolution

1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?