News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2005 Sea Ranger 21 HT - looking for feedback

Started by tacoman, August 05, 2019, 09:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoman

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 1993 SC17.  Fell in love, but soon wanted to upgrade.  I've now cut a deal on a 2005 SR21HT with a 150HP Honda and 15HP Honda kicker.  The boat is in immaculate shape, but does need all new electronics (electronics are all original).  Also comes with downriggers, pot puller, and various fishing gear.

My only real concern is the main motor has ~930 hours on it.  The owner stated that the marina where it was stored performed regular annual maintenance on the motor and it does start and run like new.  FWIW the boat has been stored indoors since its purchase in 2005 and the tandem e-loader trailer was seldom used.

Should I be concerned with the number of hours?  I negotiated to $30k.  Is that a fair price?
2005 Sea Ranger 21HT, 2005 Honda 150 & 15
1993 Sea Chaser 17, 2017 Honda 90, 2001 Honda 8 (sold)
2001 Klamath Advantage S, Suzuki 30 (sold)

amazing grace

Sounds like a solid deal. I would like to be more at $28,000. Motor is fifteen years old. Is that efi or carb'd? You will probably have a great set up for years to come. Is the kicker an 05' too? Congrats. Sounds like it comes well outfitted. You did fine.  :food:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

tacoman

Main is EFI.  I believe kicker is too.  Both are 2005.  The kicker has it's own throttle and is actually raised and lowered on a hydraulic system.  Something I've never seen.  Boat also has saddle tanks, raw water wash down, and a freshwater tank.

RE: the freshwater tank.  There's no sink and the tank pumps out of a hose in the port stern "box".  What would someone use that freshwater for?  Seems a bit odd.

amazing grace

A freshwater rinse is much, much better than a saltwater one. No matter what you are rinsing :bigshock: :rimshot: :yeahthat:

On a boat that size that kicker set up sounds like it would be a real asset. I would love the remote set up on a kicker. You can do everything from the helm. That is sweet.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Danno

You have a solid purchase there at a fair price. 930 hours on the 150 is just getting started. Expect thousands of hours more if you take care of it.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

ohmytodd

Solid deal, go for it. I have an '04 Honda 150 and it's been great. Fuel injected, but not NMEA2000 compatible.

I, too, wondered about the usefulness of that freshwater tank until I camped a few nights on the salt. It sure was nice to be able to fill a pail with fresh water for washing up after cleaning fish. Worked great for brushing teeth too ;) Even if you don't use it, the ballast up in the bow makes a difference.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

headduck

Sounds a like a fair deal. Not a steal, but seems appropriately priced.

Motor hours are tough. It seems that all new boat owners want minimally used motors...but most mechanics say motors need to be used to maintain function and performance...like dogs and kids...they want and need to be ran....

I use the fresh water as ballast and the very occasional rinse.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

mustang65fbk

I'm guessing you're looking at the one in Kingston?  If so, in the pictures it shows that it has a Simrad radar dome up on top and looks to have a 10-12" GPS screen on the dash... are they really considerably older or not included in the sale?  The boat looks like it's in nice shape and taken care of.  The downriggers and pot puller add some value as well as the shrimp pots, if you do shrimping, but the fishing gear, poles and cheaper crab pots don't add much value to the sale in my opinion.  If you're happy with the price/deal then go for it.  I would make a couple suggestions first before I personally bought the boat and those are to make sure you go for a sea trial run, drive the boat and get familiar with it.  Understand that there's limited height under the cockpit so if you're over 6' tall you're not going to be able to stand up straight.  If you don't know much about marine outboards, like myself, and are worried about the hours or condition of the motors ask the seller if you can trailer the boat to a competent shop and for a couple hundred bucks I'm sure you could get a very definitive answer of just how the motors are doing in terms of condition.  And/or, hire a marine surveyor for likely the same price, I paid mine $300 when I purchased my boat, and have him inspect the entire thing.  Have him do a compression test on the motor, run it with the ear muffs and then go with you on the sea trial run.  I think $30k is in the ballpark but there have also been better deals out there for the same price or slightly more.  A lot of it depends on the condition and what all is included, especially the electronics.... depending on what you want to buy that will likely set you back at least another $1k minimum, up to over $4-5k, depending on what you want and how much you want to spend.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

tacoman

Thanks for all the feedback!  I decided to buy and will take delivery next week. I'll now have to figure what electronics to buy so will likely add another post seeking suggestions.  In the meantime gotta prep the SC17 for sale!

Tunacious

If the boat is in as good if shape as you say go for it.
The good ones are hard to find.
I use my Fresh water rinse all the time.
When your in salt water and you want to change lures if you put it back in your tackle box after using it if you don't rinse it down with fresh water it will rust up along with what ever else it is sitting next to in your tackle box.