Author Topic: Stupid boater tricks...  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Threeweight

Stupid boater tricks...
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Anyone remember that David Letterman Show segment called "Stupid Pet Tricks"?  I invented a new category tonight...

As part of my winter projects, I decided to relocate my fuel primer bulb for the main motor (I used to have it inside the main compartment in the back, over the fuel tank and I wanted it outside.)  Simple, right?  Remove old bulb, connect hose from tank to fuel filter, cut hose from fuel filter to motor, install new bulb on the outside.  Pump bulb to prime system.

Did that Sunday evening... could not get the new bulb to prime.  Must have pumped it 5000 times.  Then I pulled the fuel filter out and checked it... removed hoses, cut 1" off the ends, re-attached in case I had a split or crack.  Pump some more.  Nada.  Removed and re-attached brass fuel fittings, with fresh gas-proof sealant tape.  Pump some more.  Nada.  Checked fuel bulb, make sure direction is right.  Pump some more.  Nada.

Was ready to order a new fuel tank pick up this evening after getting back from Valentines dinner and drinks with my wife.  On a whim, I decided to fire up the Google Machine and see if anyone had any helpful tips online.  Then I had the "Duh!" moment as I read a post on Ifish from a helpful Mercury mechanic.  When I opened the fuel system, it lost prime completely.  To re-prime, the bulb needed to be pointing upwards and detached so it could vent the air, so it wasn't just pumping air back and forth in the fuel line.

Removed hose from the motor end of the fuel bulb, pointed it up in the air, put my thumb over it.  With each pump of the primer bulb I could feel a gulp of air coming out.  10 seconds later it was primed.  Re-attached hose.  All seems to be working fine now.

Moral of the story... the internet is our friend.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Re: Stupid boater tricks...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »
Who-da-thunk?

Thank you for the lesson 3WT.  I'll try to keep it in mind for when that inevitably happens to me.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline woody

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »
Just like that.  'nother good lesson for me as I was within a day or two of opening my system to make a routing change.  Not sure if I would have connected to that method, all too familiar when "liberating" gas with a bulb syphon when I was "much" younger.  That was an improvement on the hose/mouth/suck method.
Thanks Stevie.
Woody

Offline xplorz

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
Will keep that in mind as I am considering doing the same thing when I add a fuel/water sperator/filter.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Offline Enniberg

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Good topic Steve. I think I need to replace fuel lines soon.

Where exactly did you place the primer bulb? I have read somewhere that it needs to be hanging with the directional arrow pointing up, which is the case with mine - it is mounted very close to the engine in order to achieve that. I have noticed that even after letting the boat sit for extended periods of time, the fuel lines always stay primed.

johan

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »
Mine is currently in the motor well, just after the boot, not pointing up  :doh:  I left some slack in the hose for positioning it.  What I may do is zip tie one side of it to my Baystar tubes, so that it points up but is well away from any water that gets pushed into the boat by a following sea.  
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

• Fisherman
  • 17 SC Sold Currently Arimaless
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
Yep....Ah, yes. the arrow on the bulb must be pointed up. Happened once after using the primer hose disconnected from my engine to drain all the old fuel out of my tank. Once, very recently to run my kicker on recently acquired 21 SR. Couldn't figure out why the kicker would only idle and would rev up. Then realized it needed to be primed up with bulb arrow pumping upward. My kicker bulb is located in the main fuel compartment behind the wetwell transom board. don't think it makes any difference about the location as long as your line will pump up. That's my two cents. good luck. JW 
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!