News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

7/13 SF Bay halibut

Started by Norcalfish80, July 14, 2019, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcalfish80

Went out for a troll with some friends, tons of shakers at my normal spot (Paradise). Landed one keeper and maybe 20 shakers, switched to drifting. Buddy hooked a really nice fish (30+ inches) and we lost it at the net due to a combination of it being his first time on the boat and a poor net job by yours truly.

Resumed trolling as the tide slowed and landed more shakers and lost a bunch of hits that didn't stick. Not great quality in the bay right now, hopefully the weather clears up for next weekend for salmon.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Fisherdv

I was out a few days ago in the South Bay. Had a good one on while trolling, pulling drag hard, and the hook came out. Had a few more that smashed my Herring but didn't stick.

I came across a huge school of Stripers boiling on bait. Looked about schoolie sized (3-5 pounds or so). I could have had a blast with those but I really wasn't interested. I wanted Halibut. North bay looked super foggy so I stayed South.

Here's a pic of the Stripers boiling. They were all around the boat

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Norcalfish80

Let's buddy boat the north bay soon!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Fisherdv

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on July 15, 2019, 05:38:14 PM
Let's buddy boat the north bay soon!
Sounds good! I'll PM you when I'm headed out there.

strokersquid

I should be headed out on Sunday but Norcal has already heard my woes on Coastside. Friend and I  were skunked last Sunday at Paradise, Angel, Rockwalll and south of Bridge on frozen chovies. I think the reason was we were in my friend's striper and not my SR. SR should be back from Eagle Saturday so I will try it again, hopefully with live bait. When you drift do you let it drift well  behind the boat or just drop it off the back and just to the bottom ? My friend seems to think the issue is we were doing the former.

Fisherdv

Frozen anchovies (as you know) are not as effective as live bait. But, there's always exceptions. My buddy caught a 30+ pounder on a cut piece of frozen anchovies. Another buddy caught a 25+ pounder on a whole frozen anchovy. It's not consistent, but it will work with patients. If I don't have live bait I prefer to troll herring. I've caught most of my Halibut this way. 20ft or less of water. Adjust weight accordingly.

Norcalfish80

I'll likely be out Saturday but under the gate for salmon. I've caught a lot of good halibut drifting dead herring. If I want to catch a lot of fish though, I'm always trolling for halibut. Last couple trips with the exception of the last one were limits or close trolling Paradise. I normally run 50/50 split herring behind dodger and white hoochie behind dodger.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

strokersquid

Thx, I will set up a line for trolling if drifting does not work. Should have live bait on Sunday since one of the crew lives in SF and will bring it .